advice on .45 full size pistol - Page 3

advice on .45 full size pistol

This is a discussion on advice on .45 full size pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; GWalker, since many are sticking their neck out advising that you get a 1911 platform, I'll jump on the back end of the wagon and ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree252Likes

Thread: advice on .45 full size pistol

GWalker, since many are sticking their neck out advising that you get a 1911 platform, I'll jump on the back end of the wagon and just ask you to go shoot one - you might find your decision easier than you thought.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

Quote Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
    GWalker, since many are sticking their neck out advising that you get a 1911 platform, I'll jump on the back end of the wagon and just ask you to go shoot one - you might find your decision easier than you thought.
    I am going to have to. I have shot quite a lot of guns but a 1911 isn't one of them. I will make that a priority.
    CG11, G26Raven and RebelSoul like this.

Almost a year after original post, but I've been carrying a S&W M&P 2.0 w/thumb safety in 45 acp for 6 months now. Use a DeSantis Slim-Tukk Alien Gear Belt and IWB Clip Pouch or a Safariland double owb clip pouch and it conceals better than my G19 and as well as my 1911's. Weight carry's well. Federal HST 230 chrono's at 855 and recoil is very easy to manage. Only down side is it shot 6" low at 25 yds, a common issue for me. Put the L.P.A. Adjustable Rear Sight and a Dawson FO FS and solved that issue.
    Last edited by pskys2; February 4th, 2018 at 07:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    gwalker likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
    So I am getting ready to splurge on a new pistol and am looking at full size .45 for my next purchase.
    I have narrowed it down to either the Walther PPQ .45 or the M&P .45 2.0.
    I have a Walther PPQ 9mm, love it, and a .45 M&P Shield, love it. Have shot a buddy's PPQ .45 and it is a nice one.
    Any input on which way to go for a full size .45? I think they are both fine pistols and would appreciate any input.
    Try a fns fnx 45 or a sig 1911. But I would definitely go with the fnx. 15 rd is awesome and not much difference than my full size 9mm

@gwalker - There are Sooooooo many really great choices out there...
    The best advice I can give you is to fondle, fondle, fondle...
    Then rent a couple and shoot them. Get the one that fits your hand!!!!!

Personally, I have a Kimber Eclipse(1911), a SIG p227, Colts Combat Commander, and my latest if the SIG TacOps(below)...(all .45acp)

Nobody can decide but you...
    Good luck and be sure to post pictures when you make the buy!

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  108.4 KB
    gwalker likes this.

Distinguished Member

I have purged my collection of all plastic guns (except 1 - Taurus G2 9mm - they sell brand new for so cheap I cant get out what I put into it - it works - so I'm keeping it for now).

Being a gun enthusiast - I recognize the value of plastic guns - but they hold no value to me personally. To me - loving plastic guns is like being a Star Trek fan but pulling for the Borg to win.

Regardless of where you stand - every collection needs a .357 mid to large frame revolver and a 1911 .45ACP.

Time to start a new thread = "Looking for first 1911 - need suggestions!" :)
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Colt Gov Model.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Regardless of pining for "the old days", we currently live in The Best Days EVER for capable, affordable, accurate, reliable handguns in .45 ACP. So, IMHO, your quiz is more subjective than objective. Opinions are fine, yet (in the end) only YOURS matters.

Shoot 'em ALL. Determine which among 'em best match your natural POA/POI. Throw in your (again, SUBjective) preferences on weight, capacity, features, ergonomics, concealment, holster & belt, et al. Then take your short-list and...flip a coin!

Most importantly, practice, train and practice some more. Did I mention PRACTICE?
    msgt/ret, SatCong and gwalker like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I don't have the 2.0 but I have carried an M&P 45 and M&P 45c for going on 5 years now. Closer to 8 years for the the full size. I have no experience with that particular Wather at all but they are great guns too. Speaking for my issued M&P's and my personal carry M&P45c, I have had zero gun related malfunctions or failures of any kind. I have the original T&E model my department received from S&W. I purchased it outright from S&W when we decided to replace our SW99's with the M&P. I won't get into detail about the process of testing the gun but the important part is by the time we purchased the duty sidearms from S&W the test gun had more than 10k rounds through it without failure. I have changed the recoil spring/guide and changed the sights but nothing mechanical has been done. As far as our issued guns go all guns went through an initial break in of 3k rounds without even a cleaning over the course of a week. No failures.

I think both would be good choices but my vote would go to the M&P just because my experience with mine.
    Last edited by ram229; February 6th, 2018 at 06:27 PM.
    gwalker and smolck like this.

My 1st .45 was a 1911 and I love the way it shoots and how well it fits my hand.

I recently purchased the M&P 2.0 .45 and like it equally well, maybe smidge better. For me it points naturally and fits my hand well even though I didn’t care for the more aggressive grip texture. Sand paper solved that.
    gwalker and msgt/ret like this.

Distinguished Member
    A second vote for the FNX45 (if you're not going to carry it). Exceptional firepower and a pleasure to shoot.
    I have a couple of them and love 'em.

This one is the night stand, bump in night gun:

----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    A second vote for the FNX45 (if you're not going to carry it). Exceptional firepower and a pleasure to shoot.
    I have a couple of them and love 'em.

This one is the night stand, bump in night gun:

Hogue overlay grip?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    139633 likes this.

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    Almost bought the M&P in 9mm but got the Glock 17 instead. The SW felt better in my hand but everything else said buy the Glock.

Having shot neither, I’d get the M&P
    gwalker likes this.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

I actually prefer the PPQ over my model 21 or even my Springfield Operator for a pure defensive full size weapon. The ergonomics are fantastic and the accuracy is good. The bore axis is tad high but no worse really than the G21.

If I were you the PPQ would be my choice for full size defensive handgun.
    gwalker likes this.

I looked at a Glock 30 and a M&P something. The S&W felt better, pointed better, didn't care as much for the trigger. Asked if S&W had a military discount and was told no.

I bought the G30 and never looked back.
    Pete63 and gwalker like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links