Thinking of buying the new Colt Cobra .38 Special. Has anyone bought one yet? - Page 2

Thinking of buying the new Colt Cobra .38 Special. Has anyone bought one yet?

This is a discussion on Thinking of buying the new Colt Cobra .38 Special. Has anyone bought one yet? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SmoothJazz There is a S&W frame size in between the 686 and 60 that you tried. The K frame models 64, 65,66, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Thinking of buying the new Colt Cobra .38 Special. Has anyone bought one yet?

Distinguished Member Array BlackhawkGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
    There is a S&W frame size in between the 686 and 60 that you tried. The K frame models 64, 65,66, and 67 are 6 shots and in the 36 oz weight range. I've been looking for one to check out in a local gun store.
    I am definitely an older Smith revolver fan! So, your post had me looking on gun broker and at the 66 on the Smith website. I need to put my hands on it. The 686 was awesome, but I am afraid, as others have mentioned, it is going to get bigger and heavier to CC as the hot Tennessee summer comes into play.
    Everything I needed to know in life was captured in one Indiana Jones minute:

https://youtu.be/7YyBtMxZgQs

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    Well, Blackhawk girl, no I don't have the new Colt Cobra but I frankly love your dilemma! All three revolvers you mention are three revolvers I'd love to own. But yeah, which one? I'd love to have a S&W PC 686 snubby & that's what I would buy today, however by morning I'll want the more sensibly sized classic Colt. Then again I have wanted a model 60 ever since that day in 1975 I saw a detective wearing one in the summer heat.

Well sorry I am no help on your dilemma, but you've given me a few nights with visions of new revolvers dancing in my head!
    So, Thanks.
    If I do finally decide on a 686, I want the Performance Center model with the trigger job. The regular model I tried in the store had a very hard, long DA trigger pull. The Colt and the Model 60 were a dream, where trigger pull was concerned.

Sweet dreams!
    grouse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    The newly released ones or the classic? The two examples my shop got in were rough, not at all like Colt revolvers from their golden era.
    The new model. I know it is not the older model, but it is for every day carry, dirt, rain, sun, sweat.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Holsters for the Colt Cobra (2017)

Recommendations? I had a lot of trouble with conventional belt carry, the old model 19 snubby I had was top heavy in the holster and wanted to flop forward all the time. It annoyed me enough that I stopped carrying it. I don't want the same to happen with the Colt, if I choose to get it.
    ff31 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackhawkGirl View Post
    If I do finally decide on a 686, I want the Performance Center model with the trigger job. The regular model I tried in the store had a very hard, long DA trigger pull. The Colt and the Model 60 were a dream, where trigger pull was concerned.

Sweet dreams!
    I bought the 629 PC .44 mag snub nose last spring & the trigger (& the good looks) is why I would love to add the 686 PC snub nose to my collection. That's the sweetest production trigger I've ever tried let alone own! Also I like the seven round capacity.

Again, Good Luck!
    BlackhawkGirl likes this.

VIP Member

Recommendations? I had a lot of trouble with conventional belt carry, the old model 19 snubby I had was top heavy in the holster and wanted to flop forward all the time. It annoyed me enough that I stopped carrying it. I don't want the same to happen with the Colt, if I choose to get it.
    @NelsonHolsters

He's made all of my gunleather. I have holsters for a 686, Bulldog, GP100, Ruger, and Uberti if you would like to see them. None of them flop.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrike6 View Post
    The Kimber is beautifully finished, and the trigger is nice, too.
    Agree. The kimber uses all forged parts and is chambered in 357. I know we can’t go back in time to the real Colt’s but as far as I’m concerned this is a piss poor effort for a gun with the Colt logo on it. Sorry if I hurt anyone’s feels....really.

I have not shot the new Cobra but they seem to be pretty nice although like others mentioned not as nicely finished as the older models. I would suggest that you shop around for an older Detective Special or Agent they had nice triggers and were 6 shot. They can be found for about the same price or less than the new Cobra. A bonus is the Detective Special
    /Agent will go up in value if you change your mind later (I doubt that will happen ) Good luck!
    Old Man likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

My experience with Colt Cobras was in the older guns. Mine was light and SO easy to shoot!
    But truth be told my next revolver will be a J frame with a 3" barrel and upgraded sights! DR
    5lima30ret and BlackhawkGirl like this.

If you try a Kimber K6S you will be sold on it I bet, double action only 6 rounds and trigger is like no other, the most accurate snub nose I have ever handled
    Old Man likes this.
    NRA Life Member

All of the grips I've seen on the Kimber is the small boot grip. Is a full size Hogue or Pachmayr grip available for it?
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

I would follow this https://www.gunauction.com/buy/14767462 model 66 with laser grips from 93 ...Has not lock and all the good stuff plus laser grips the 66 are great guns imop heavy enough to not kick but good carry guns

Seller is a good guy I have done work with before
    BlackhawkGirl and PhaedrusIV like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    The newly released ones or the classic? The two examples my shop got in were rough, not at all like Colt revolvers from their golden era.
    Handled a new one and it reminded me of the products from another Connecticut manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Please keep us posted. My wife likes my SW 19 4" best of everything I have but it it too big for her(My opinion) She is small with small hands.
    Like that fact that the 19 with 38's is low recoil but would love to find something with some heft but smaller for her.
    Have had many Body Guards & I know recoil would be a factor, till it mattered.
    Happy hunting.
    BlackhawkGirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Instymp View Post
    Please keep us posted. My wife likes my SW 19 4" best of everything I have but it it too big for her(My opinion) She is small with small hands.
    Like that fact that the 19 with 38's is low recoil but would love to find something with some heft but smaller for her.
    Have had many Body Guards & I know recoil would be a factor, till it mattered.
    Happy hunting.
    I have a S&W Model 19 4", it is my favorite gun! I miss the Model 19 2.5" snubby, but it was a little chunkier than I want to carry. I am still thinking the Colt, someone local has a great deal on them, if they are not sold out yet. If your wife has healthy hand joints, she might want to check out the S&W Lady Smith Model 60. It is a perfect size and hand hold for me. I rented one at a range and would not suggest loading it with .357, if recoil is a concern for her. I would love to have that gun, but in dealing with my wrist/thumb injury, I am just not sure it is heavy enough. They are so tempting. I wish the wrist thing would resolve, but it has been over 3 years now so I suspect it is here to stay and I just need to deal with it.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links