S&W 624 Target Model of 1985

This is a discussion on S&W 624 Target Model of 1985 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not exactly a CCW revolver, but for you big-bore S&W fans, the video below features the 1985 reincarnation of the classic Target Model of 1950. ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 5 Post By hrfunk
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By hrfunk
  • 2 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 2 Post By WebleyHunter
  • 1 Post By Kilowatt3
  • 1 Post By hrfunk
  • 2 Post By gasmitty

Thread: S&W 624 Target Model of 1985

Not exactly a CCW revolver, but for you big-bore S&W fans, the video below features the 1985 reincarnation of the classic Target Model of 1950. It's a sweet shooter, and it chambers the timeless 44 Special cartridge. I hope you enjoy the video, and be sure to let me know your thoughts!

HRF

Senior Moderator
    Very fond of the .44 Special - sure would love to find a 624 I could afford!
    bmcgilvray and Kilowatt3 like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

They are great revolvers! I would really like to get ahold of one of the 3" Lew Horton versions!

HRF
    Kilowatt3 and Holmes375 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    Skeeter Skelton agitated for the return of the Smith & Wesson Model 24 .44 Special in the early 1980s and I was lapping it all up. Already had a 4-inch Smith & Wesson Model of 1926 from the 1930s at the time. Thought it'd be keen to purchase and use a newly made Smith & Wesson .44 Special revolver. Had my pawn shop bank customer/friend/gun pusher order a 6-inch blue Model 24 as soon as they became available.

Shot it a few years and it was typically .44 Special accurate (that is to say very accurate). Only thing was, the barrel was canted enough to be apparent and the adjustable rear sight had to be cranked fully to the right to be zeroed on target. While its accuracy was pleasing, this issue proved ultimately unsatisfying and it was traded away, likely for 1903 Springfields as I was gone on collecting '03s at the time. Should have returned it to the factory for a barrel tweak instead.
    Kilowatt3 and gasmitty like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I managed to snag a 4" version a few years ago and even sent it back to the Mothership for the recall check. Very accurate and capable combat revolver. My brother borrowed it a couple times for Alaska fishing trips loaded with the Buffalo Bore hot 255 gr hard cast lead SWC.
    Kilowatt3 and bmcgilvray like this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

VIP Member
    Beautiful!

Mine's the newer "Classic" edition, Model 24-6:

Name:  M24Left.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  73.4 KB

Love them .44 Specials!
    gasmitty likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

There's nothing not to love! Great looking revolver you have there yourself!

HRF

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Beautiful!

Mine's the newer "Classic" edition, Model 24-6:

Name:  M24Left.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  73.4 KB

Love them .44 Specials!
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

I bought one of these when they first came out. Beautiful gun and it shot very well. I eventually sold it to buy a Model 27 in 5" barrel version.

The .44 Special is, well kind of special.
    NRA Life Member
    Marine Corps Veteran
    Vietnam Veteran

Senior Moderator
    In addition to all that's been said - for me, reloading .44 Special is simply more enjoyable than the other calibers I load. Maybe because my single-action .44 is purely a fun gun? Not defensive, not for competition, but just for launching substantial chunks of lead downrange? There's just something really rewarding about dumping a load of Unique into the gaping maw of those big-bore case mouths and crimping a heavy, cast lead SWC slug on top of 'em. Plus, there's no comparison between handling these chunky cartridges compared to, say, 9mm (nothing against 9mm, I load and shoot plenty). Call me an antiquarian or a traditionalist, I just feel more connected to the whole shooting "experience" with the .44 Special.
    Litespeed and Kilowatt3 like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Like the name says, it's "Special".

HRF

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    In addition to all that's been said - for me, reloading .44 Special is simply more enjoyable than the other calibers I load. Maybe because my single-action .44 is purely a fun gun? Not defensive, not for competition, but just for launching substantial chunks of lead downrange? There's just something really rewarding about dumping a load of Unique into the gaping maw of those big-bore case mouths and crimping a heavy, cast lead SWC slug on top of 'em. Plus, there's no comparison between handling these chunky cartridges compared to, say, 9mm (nothing against 9mm, I load and shoot plenty). Call me an antiquarian or a traditionalist, I just feel more connected to the whole shooting "experience" with the .44 Special.

The Model 27 is another sweet ride; especially in the 5" variation!

HRF

Quote Originally Posted by Litespeed View Post
    I bought one of these when they first came out. Beautiful gun and it shot very well. I eventually sold it to buy a Model 27 in 5" barrel version.

The .44 Special is, well kind of special.

Sponsored Links