Does anyone make a small 380 that actually works?! - Page 3

Does anyone make a small 380 that actually works?!

This is a discussion on Does anyone make a small 380 that actually works?! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Glocking26 I had a Remington RM380 the mag release keep falling out. A Ruger LCP first generation couldnít get through a mag ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Does anyone make a small 380 that actually works?!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post
    I had a Remington RM380 the mag release keep falling out. A Ruger LCP first generation couldnít get through a mag with out a FTF FTE. So I went ahead and bought a Glock 42 great gun but it defeated the purpose because of it's size. After reading all the reviews mostly positive Wednesday a took a chance and bought the newer Ruger LCP 2 thinking is been out for a while and all the bugs should be worked out right....wrong took it to the range the next day back in the box back to Ruger same issues as the old gene 1. Iím starting to think the 380 hates me Now Iím thinks I should just stick to carrying my Ruger LCR 38spl. And be done with it. Oh yeah I almost forgot before I took it to the range I polished the feed ramp the rails and anything else that made metal to metal contact.
    Why???

Did you do a Bubba job on all of the .380's you've had problems with? That could explain a lot.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Glocking26 - did you have Ruger check it out (no charge)? I've had two LCPs - the original, which my son now has, and the red trigger custom with the good trigger, and both are 100% reliable. Caveat: while the KCP Custom was 100% reliable out of the box, the older original LCP needed an initial ramp polish to end an occasional feed failure. NEVER had a failure to fire with either one.
    Take another look at the LCP.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    5lima30ret likes this.

Operator error maybe.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    Ammo and grip are a lot more important to a pocket 380 than some other types of pistols. I carry an LCP in my pocket. It was my BUG in uniform. I wouldn't carry it now and definitely wouldn't have carried it as a BUG if it had all the issues I've heard of them having. My experience has been flawless. Sorry that yours hasn't been, OP.
    5lima30ret and Holster like this.

VIP Member
    Never had a problem with the LCP.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

VIP Member
    I was thinking about the sig but I want a 1911 type 380.
    The SIG P238 in .380 and the SIG 938 in 9mm are most definitely are 1911 style guns. "Honey, I shrunk the 1911" is a good description. The only thing lacking is the squeeze safety at the rear of the grip.

My P238's have worked flawlessly from day one. I follow the instructions in the owner's manual very carefully and do not over lube them. I do not use junk ammo, but of the 6 brands of range ammo and 2 brands of SD hollow points I've shot they all work great. Past 7 yards distance there is a slight difference in accuracy from one brand to another when using one of those sight in targets. If you get any of the models that are not all steel the weight is a smidge over 15 oz. empty. If you get the all steel models the weight is 5 oz. heavier.

In contrast, my G42's which are a similar size but a bit larger in spots, are also totally accurate and reliable except when I tried to use Privi Partisan round nose. They shot the first round and then stovepiped or just quit. A friend bought a new G42 (for his wife, he says) and shot a full box of Privi P. hollow points without a glitch, so go figure.

I see that Springfield Armory has a new 1911 .380 out which looks like a clone of the SIG P238. Same weight, same price range give or take a few bucks. A couple internal composition differences.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I've got a Colt Mustang that's been 100% I also had good luck with a S&W PPK though I only ever used FMJ in it.
    tbob38 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Czombie View Post
    Operator error maybe.
    I had problem holding mine properly, thought I was limp wristing. I installed Talon wraparound grip sleeve and my problem went away. The LCP II is now always in my pocket and my other BUG is a Ruger SP101 AIWB. My EDC is a CZ P01 40 S&W. I don't think I need to carry spare magazines. A friend carries 2 S&W J-frames everyday.

VIP Member
    .380s aren't for everybody...
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

I went through a similar test of faith with my "lefty" LCP. It took two trips back to Ruger, but they essentially rebuilt the pistol and got it running right. Before they shipped it back to me the second time, they tested it with 100 rounds (at my request) instead of their usual protocol of 24 rounds (due to the ammo shortage at the time I didn't want to deplete my ammo reserves).

If you give them the chance, Ruger will get the gun running right.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

After the RM380, LCP and LCP2 not working, I think it has to be user induced. The original LCP has been out for a long time and Ruger has sold so many of them. Yeah, you could get a bad one, but a bad LCP, bad RM380 and then a bad LCP2, that seems statistically impossible.
    evilgreg, PhaedrusIV and tdcman1 like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Thanks guys for all your input. I was going for something very light weight. When the LCP did work it was dead on. Iíll report back when I get it back from Ruger. I was using Fiocchi 115gr FMJ ammo. Itís very hot ammo I use the 9mm in my full auto UZI.
    115gr ammo in .380?
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Over 700 rounds through my LCP without a single hiccup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone make a small 380 that actually works?!-image.jpeg
    The only semiauto pistol I own that isn't a Glock is my Taurus TCP ... Has run 100%

I was thinking about the sig but I want a 1911 type 380.
    Sig P238 would be of your liking I would think.

Does anyone make a small 380 that actually works?!-20141223_161026.jpg
    "Anyone who will tear down sports will tear down America.
    Sports and Religion have made America what it is today. -- Woody Hayes"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links