Does anyone make a small 380 that actually works?! - Page 5

Does anyone make a small 380 that actually works?!

This is a discussion on Does anyone make a small 380 that actually works?! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So far, all of my pocket guns have either been a Walther PPK model or a S&W J-frame. I know there are lighter semi-auto .380s ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Does anyone make a small 380 that actually works?!

So far, all of my pocket guns have either been a Walther PPK model or a S&W J-frame. I know there are lighter semi-auto .380s on the market but the steel in the PPK seems to help soak up some of the recoil in such a small pistol, so it works for me. I guess I've also been lucky because none of the PPK models I've had have been finicky about what ammo they were fed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocketgunner View Post
    I started shooting them religiously when the LCP first was introduced. Horrible shot at first but actually burned through 4 of them.
    What do you mean by "burned through" ?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yeild, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I am a pocket gun enthusiast. I started shooting them religiously when the LCP first was introduced. Horrible shot at first but actually burned through 4 of them. Later shot many other fine Pocket guns. Then I found the Beretta Pico. These little guns are truly built like the Proverbial TANK. Great build quality! And on of the most mild mannered pocket guns I have ever shot. Very little muzzle flip to boot. Shoots hot ammo or Plus P ammo better than most guns shoot standard. Easy take down, ALL STAINLESS STEEL THROUGHOUT THE GUN to include the Modular chassis. Even ships with a stainless Steel guide rod.
    I like it so much I bought a second one. I use one for Carry and the other for range work. I have shot the one gun with thousands of rounds. Actually stopped counting at 2500 totally flawless rounds and that was quite a while ago. I shoot it easy week. *actually did have one failure and that was with some cheap reloads I was shooting. It failed to ignite the primer. However I realized this right away and the gun has DOUBLE STRIKE capibility and the gun fired the round on the second pull.
    My other Pico has over 1,000 flawless rounds.
    I really love these guns. Sleek design, looks like it was designed in a wind tunnel. The best sights in class and easy to change out to Night Sights without going to a Smith. Magazines look like high end custom 1911 mags, all stainless steel and even the follower is stainless.

Modular all stainles steel chassis

Easy to change out grips, clean trigger and other parts or replace parts if necessary.

Notice the beefy take down pin. No worry about breaking like so many of the other guns I have had.

Beautiful flush fitting mags. the Pico all stainless in in the center, the Ruger to the left and the Kahr to the right

The all Stainless steel chassis

The trigger is not the light Crisp glass bread trigger which I do not like in a Pocket gun. One of mine is 8.1 lbs the other 8.4, but smooth, deliberate.
    Newbie shooters may not like the gun. However experieced pocket gun shooters who invest a little time with the gun will reap many great returns. A really fine shooting Gun.

An excellent review of the Pico ! More useful data than I've seen anywhere. Thanks !
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

^^ I like that it doesn't have that goofy double-jointed trigger.

VIP Member
    I am a pocket gun enthusiast. I started shooting them religiously when the LCP first was introduced. Horrible shot at first but actually burned through 4 of them. Later shot many other fine Pocket guns. Then I found the Beretta Pico. These little guns are truly built like the Proverbial TANK. Great build quality! And on of the most mild mannered pocket guns I have ever shot. Very little muzzle flip to boot. Shoots hot ammo or Plus P ammo better than most guns shoot standard. Easy take down, ALL STAINLESS STEEL THROUGHOUT THE GUN to include the Modular chassis. Even ships with a stainless Steel guide rod.
    I like it so much I bought a second one. I use one for Carry and the other for range work. I have shot the one gun with thousands of rounds. Actually stopped counting at 2500 totally flawless rounds and that was quite a while ago. I shoot it easy week. *actually did have one failure and that was with some cheap reloads I was shooting. It failed to ignite the primer. However I realized this right away and the gun has DOUBLE STRIKE capibility and the gun fired the round on the second pull.
    My other Pico has over 1,000 flawless rounds.
    I really love these guns. Sleek design, looks like it was designed in a wind tunnel. The best sights in class and easy to change out to Night Sights without going to a Smith. Magazines look like high end custom 1911 mags, all stainless steel and even the follower is stainless...

Three of my pocket guns with one of my Pico's,

Great writeup, @Pocketgunner ! Thanks!

I've had a P3AT, an LCP, and a Kahr CW380. The Kahr's my favorite by far in terms of build quality, shootability, controllability, and reliability, but I haven't shot the LCP enough to have a real strong opinion about it. I think very highly of Berettas, but the Pico got some bad press when it first came out, so I kind of steered clear of it. Don't much need another micro-380 anyway.

The CW380 stands head & shoulders above the others, IMO, but your assessment of the Pico makes it sound like another winner!
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post
    After reading all the responses to my initial question (does anybody make 380 that actually works) I guess my question was answered because reading all the responses I guess they do. I didnít win the Powerball last night either but Iím not giving up on that and Iím not giving up on a 380 that actually works:)
    It could be your hand/shape size. You have to have a pretty correct grip for these little guns to work properly and some people likely have a hand size/shape that when gripping the gun naturally, just doesn't work(even though it is a good grip and works fine on larger pistols). My TCP was a great little 380 and worked fine for me. My LCP Gen2 is just a little smaller. I have to be careful how I hold it. Large hands(but not overly so) cause a little empty space even if I hold it with a firm grip. I have to make sure there is no free space inside my grip and then everything is fine. Other guys with large hands or larger hands have no difficulty, just small little differences in a man's hand size/shape can make a difference. Just needs to be figured out through trial and error. Have some buddies try the gun. Try a hogue Handall or talon grips, etc.

I prefer my P938 to any of the little 380's. If I had my choice in .380, it would be a P238. The only reasons I never bought one are that it isn't much smaller than my 938 and being left-handed, there never seems to be the great deals on the ambi models. If money were no object, I would have the stainless P238. I bet that is a real sweet shooter.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post
    I was thinking about the sig but I want a 1911 type 380.
    Sig P238 or Springfield 911. Springer is new, so may want to wait on reliability to be proven. My P238 has never had a hiccup, and they come in around 15 oz.

You might also consider a Kimber Micro. https://www.kimberamerica.com/micro-two-tone-380

Does anyone make a small 380 that actually works?!-fzvdbov.jpg
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

+1 for the P238. Wife and I both have them; never a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    If itís the Insight laser, recommend you check to see if the mount screw is backing out. S&W fixed and upgraded mine to the Crimson Trace for free.
    Been there, been back to S&W for it. Thanks for the call-out though.
    Frank.
    graydude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
    +1 for the P238. Wife and I both have them; never a problem.
    Same here.....both mine and my wife's not a problem ever.
    My daughters P238 had a bad magazine catch out of the box. Sig replaced it and it shoots 100% now also.

Dam accurate little guns you can shoot fast for sure.

Love my p238. Never a hiccup. At least a thousand rounds, probably closer to 2k round thru it. Love the 938 even better. Both are very accurate, with the 938 taking a bit of a lead in that dept. My son and son in law each have an LCP. I canít hit the broad side of a barn with them...from inside the barn. They just donít work very well for me, although I wish they did. I may pick up an LCPII just for kicks, to see if a little practice with one would help.

GMC
    I still like my RM380. Never a problem. The nicest little 380 I've shot.

VIP Member
    what ammo are you using?
    Most .380 ammo I find to be under powered and turns your
    micro beast into a paperweight .
    Lifetime NRA Member,collector,reloader.

I've owned or still own quite a few of the newer pocket .380s, including the LCP (Gen 1), current LCP, LCP Custom, LCP II, Kahr P380, Sig P238, Beretta Pico, Taurus TCP and S&W Bodyguard 380. All of them have run fine for me with any decent ammo. For .380 ACP, I almost always use Hornady American Gunner XTP, Speer Gold Dot LE, Fiocchi FMJ, PMC Bronze FMJ or American Eagle FMJ. They have all been consistent for me.

I got the LCP long ago and it keeps providing reliability in a super concealable firearm.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links