Semi-auto or Revolver - Page 3

Semi-auto or Revolver

This is a discussion on Semi-auto or Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That 3 in Kimber K-6 sure does look purty though........

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Semi-auto or Revolver

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    That 3 in Kimber K-6 sure does look purty though.....
    Bad Bob likes this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I'll add that the 45ACP S&W 625 revolver also offers the option of 45 Super, which is a very hot cartridge also suitable for 4 legged encounters.

Sadly not mine, but a glamour shot I found on the interwebs:
    Semi-auto or Revolver-standard.jpg
    wmhawth, Bad Bob, Haywood and 1 others like this.

I once bought a S&W Model 25 in .45 ACP from a small shop in Oregon
    after my academy.

Couldn't get 3 shots off without it binding.

Took it back and another customer told me he would buy it and send it back to
    Smith. He found 16 points on the gun that needed correcting.

The shop gave me a wad of cash and a used S&W model 59.

I later "attempted" to qualify with the 59. Was yet another real joke of a gun.

Bought a used SIG P220 and qualified with a 98% score...even with crappy
    ammo that we had to shoot.

I've always had a hit and miss relationship with S&W products.
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love: 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I had to make those choices recently since I am almost 60. I had no idea that things like arthritis and other aging issues hit so early in life. So I downsized to 9mm, hoping to make my last stand with that caliber. For me a 9mm autoloader is still recoil manageable and fairly compact. The HK light LEM trigger gives me another layer of safety for my carry style and works well with limited hand strength. I abandoned all my striker fired weapons and revolvers. I deemed the striker fired just a tad to dangerous for appendix carry and the revolvers were too much for my fingers in DA mode to train with. Declines in upper body flexibility and strength made appendix carry my best choice. I can carry all day with no stress on my body.

In the end I had to take into account the realities of an occasional brain fog day and build some more margin for error into my weapon choice. That and the realities of more and more issues with recoil. I am hoping 9mm works out long range even if i have to move up to a full sized gun to the keep the recoil under control. I suppose in the end the last down size would be to .380. Hopefully that never comes. For me, guns like the 13 ounce Ruger LCR have proven to be impossible to train with due to pain and flinch.

I'm firmly convinced that as I age that daily carry is more important than ever. The elderly are targets. Even aggressive dogs can be dangerous now.

We could start a thread on guns, trigger systems and carry styles for aging.
    ďHe is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.Ē
    ― Jim Elliot

My KLCR is my very last DA/DAO gun for those same reasons...
    except my Bodyguard .380 than I can actually fire without too much exertion.

It seems to have an equal trigger pull of my ill-fated LCP II.

I prefer my Walthers or XD MOD 2, but they don't hide like the BG does.

The prospect of a LCP PRO model is still there as I've heard that those have
    light triggers?
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love: 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Get a 10mm in both semi-auto and revolver.

Semi-auto or Revolver-colt-delta-elites-1024x768-2017_01_22-17_26_42-utc-.jpg
    Semi-auto or Revolver-ruger-match-champion-10mm-.png
    drmordo, Bad Bob, wmhawth and 2 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Given your experience and expertise in small arms makes the choice even more difficult, mamaxwell. Still, there are many laws in various places, such as magazine capacity, which might affect your possession of a weapon. As an RV'er myself, (just got home yesterday from a couple of weeks off the grid) I simply carry my daily carry, a Kahr P45, but I stay in my home state. I think I would be inclined to gravitate to the 38/357 platform in your situation, or perhaps Ruger's neat little .327 Federal 6 shooter. (It's been calling my name for a while now) Either way, RVing requires a certain resistance to dirt and moisture, as you probably have already recognized, and though I am a semi-auto guy in most respects, I can't help but give the nod to a wheel gun for your needs. Safe travels to you!

Quote Originally Posted by mamaxwell View Post
    I am going with 45 as I have pistols in both already. A springfield xds 45 acp and a pietta birdshead cattleman 3.5 barrel 45lc
    I think the XDS would be more versatile than the Pietta.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

Colt Commander in .45acp and a 3" Smith 686. Bam !

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    keboostman likes this.

I've only known two SASS shooters who could outrun any of the local shooters with his sa revolver. They could outrun or stay with anyone shooting any handgun with a sa revolver. Most lag way behind. I would think a pietta birdshead cattleman 3.5 barrel 45lc would slow you down even more. I'm not saying it's not a great handgun or that I wouldn't love to own one, but I'm not sure it's the best for what you want. I still have a nice custom .45 Colt 4 5/8 New Model that has been made to run smooth and fast, but as much as I enjoy that revolver, I know I would be better served by a da for self defense.

Ok I am getting ready to retire for the second time and start traveling in my RV. I am looking for one weapon to have for RV security, CCW and Hiking. I have already decided on a caliber in each depending on what I decide. Just looking for advise on which one semi or revolver. Just some back ground on me Small Arms Instructor for 25 years trained with and taught semi-autos. 19 Years Law Enforcement all with semis. I shoot SASS so I am pretty good with revolvers as well. Just looking for some input. Thank
    I see the major practical difference between revolvers and auto-loaders to be strategical / tactics. My good friend and gun shop owner (Barbra) described the difference better than anyone I've heard. " The revolver is like a hot date, it can be left alone and picked up when you need it, while the the auto-loader is more like a long term relationship and requires a higher level of commitment" By this standard and in your situation it'd seem that a revolver might serve your purposes better.

As far as caliber I'd suggest the .357 Magnum. for a few reasons. First being the capability of the round. There is very few things that wont reconsider their position after a solid hit with a .357, be it two or four legged. There is no shortage of offerings by major reputable manufacture's with considerable history. Most of the offerings come with an almost unlimited variety of options of capacity, frame size, barrel length, even color. Another positive point is that you pretty much get two calibers in one gun. If you want you can load with .38 specials.

While there are many reasons to carry your gun on your RV as you you travel, there is the remote possibility that during your wanderings you may enter someplace where things may have slid a little left. A revolver tends to be somewhat less intimidating, and appear to be a tool, and the revolver is less a target. There could be a possibility you might want to obtain a carbine. Ohhh like a Henry lever gun in .357 just in case ya know? You can limit to one caliber, .357 will only get better out of a carbine (JMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I see the major practical difference between revolvers and auto-loaders to be strategical / tactics. My good friend and gun shop owner (Barbra) described the difference better than anyone I've heard. " The revolver is like a hot date, it can be left alone and picked up when you need it, while the the auto-loader is more like a long term relationship and requires a higher level of commitment" By this standard and in your situation it'd seem that a revolver might serve your purposes better.

As far as caliber I'd suggest the .357 Magnum. for a few reasons. First being the capability of the round. There is very few things that wont reconsider their position after a solid hit with a .357, be it two or four legged. There is no shortage of offerings by major reputable manufacture's with considerable history. Most of the offerings come with an almost unlimited variety of options of capacity, frame size, barrel length, even color. Another positive point is that you pretty much get two calibers in one gun. If you want you can load with .38 specials.

While there are many reasons to carry your gun on your RV as you you travel, there is the remote possibility that during your wanderings you may enter someplace where things may have slid a little left. A revolver tends to be somewhat less intimidating, and appear to be a tool, and the revolver is less a target. There could be a possibility you might want to obtain a carbine. Ohhh like a Henry lever gun in .357 just in case ya know? You can limit to one caliber, .357 will only get better out of a carbine (JMO).
    ^^^Very solid advice!^^^
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

As someone else said, be wary of the magazine capacity restrictions in the places you intend to go. That said, ex-LEO status may give you privileges that us normal blokes donít get, but still pay close attention to the rules in Kommiefornia if you plan to visit here. Unfortunately I donít know what rules apply to ex law enforcement here, or out of state ex law enforcement, so youíll have to research that. In my case, I wonít even bring my firearms back into this state because the rules are always changing and for the worse. Iím on my way out. We tried Nevada (bought, tried for a year, didnít enjoy and then sold) and now weíve decided that Arizona is a better fit for us, so Iíve taken all but one firearm there already. The last one will go when this home in Kommiefornia goes on the market in a few weeks. We love the climate and the geography here, but too many of the people are nuts. Once my daughter and SIL move out, weíll never go back.
    wmhawth and Bigsteve113 like this.

VIP Member
    I am going with 45 as I have pistols in both already. A springfield xds 45 acp and a pietta birdshead cattleman 3.5 barrel 45lc
    Seems that you're getting a whole lot of advice from people who have not read your posts!

I like revolvers a LOT, but of your choices, I'd go with the XDs, no contest. I find my .45 revolvers too big for practical carry in most circumstances. Your Pietta weighs over a pound more than the XDs, and you're unnecessarily handicapping yourself with a SA revolver. You've got six rounds in either case, but I'd sure rather have them on tap from a semi-auto with quick reload capability!
    OD* likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

mamaxwell With your back ground you really think you need others to tell you what you should carry ?? I would not carry ether a little xds or any single action revolver for defense . Make an adult choice and pick what YOU want .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links