Yardage Question for Subcompact 9mm -- - Page 5

Yardage Question for Subcompact 9mm --

This is a discussion on Yardage Question for Subcompact 9mm -- within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 I don't go online and tout my accomplishments....I don't just throw out my Bio in the hopes people will agree with ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Yardage Question for Subcompact 9mm --

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    I don't go online and tout my accomplishments....I don't just throw out my Bio in the hopes people will agree with me...But if you would like a picture of my firearms, bows,knives Etc etc
    I would be glad to appease you.

Not that i should have to just because my opinion differs from yours ..But i can.. Just say the word.

If you guys wanna shoot your self defense carry guns out to 500 yds...Knock yourself out.

I am completely confident i can defend myself based on my skills and how i practice.
    I prefer to use a tool for what it was designed for.

BTW...How many self defense classes have you seen where everyone walks to line with a handgun and shoots targets at 50+yds.

There is a reason the world is not full of Bob Munden's
    "Anyone who is willing to live the life I have led can do the things I do." -Fools Crow
    AzQkr, Cornhusker95 and OD* like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

I don't go online and tout my accomplishments....I don't just throw out my Bio in the hopes people will agree with me...But if you would like a picture of my firearms, bows,knives Etc etc
    I would be glad to appease you.

Not that i should have to just because my opinion differs from yours ..But i can.. Just say the word.

If you guys wanna shoot your self defense carry guns out to 500 yds...Knock yourself out.

I am completely confident i can defend myself based on my skills and how i practice.
    I prefer to use a tool for what it was designed for.

BTW...How many self defense classes have you seen where everyone walks to line with a handgun and shoots targets at 50+yds.

There is a reason the world is not full of Bob Munden's
    ALL my carry guns were designed to defend myself. None of them have come with any instructions on what distances parameters I was not to exceed in defending myself with any of them.

I will take a longer than norm shot, because I can. I can, because I practice doing so. You're entitled to believe YOUR gun was designed with some distance restriction/s. Mine have no such limitations placed on them except my own ability to make the shots necessary.

And there's the difference in mindset and knowing what one knows are their limitations and someone who doesn't know what they don't know. You brought up the legal aspect of taking a longer than normal shot and defending that shot in court. What you obviously failed to realize is, which I mentioned before, is that it's not how far you made the shot, it's whether you were justified in taking the shot.

If you don't understand the basic tenets of lawful deadly force use, and how to defend taking ANY shot, at ANY distance, can't articulate coherently the tenets of lawful deadly force use which, btw, does not come with any distance restrictions in any law on the books in any state I'm aware of, then keep your shots to the distances you're comfortable properly defending in a court of law.

Hell, the OP started the thread because he thought he needed bullseye accuracy at 20 yrds with a small semi auto. He's now more aware of what bullet drop means at even 50 yrds, it means diddly squat IF one can make the shot to begin with through superior command of the basics. Now he doesn't have to worry about bullet drop, just getting command of the basics and extending those shots to past norms should the need arise.

As another mentioned that baseball practice and the shooter being past normal pistol sd distances. If anyone thinks for one second I'm not going to put lead on some turd from distance simply due to worrying about explaining the distance while taking incoming, their grasp of reality and what needs to done rfn to end the threat at any range is seriously lacking.
    Mike1956 and OD* like this.

Distinguished Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    When I test a new load I bench rest the first 10 rounds. That'll tell you more on how accurate the gun is and how inaccurate you are.
    I don't have a ransom rest so I just use a sand bag or wooden rest and even just rest the gun butt on the table.
    The only reason for shooting at that distance for me with a 9mm would be for a survival reason, shooting some critter for dinner. In that instance I'd be prone or resting the gun on a log or tree branch etc.
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    "Anyone who is willing to live the life I have led can do the things I do." -Fools Crow
    Exactly...Works both ways my friend...Its a nasty world out there.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    ALL my carry guns were designed to defend myself. None of them have come with any instructions on what distances parameters I was not to exceed in defending myself with any of them.

I will take a longer than norm shot, because I can. I can, because I practice doing so. You're entitled to believe YOUR gun was designed with some distance restriction/s. Mine have no such limitations placed on them except my own ability to make the shots necessary.

And there's the difference in mindset and knowing what one knows are their limitations and someone who doesn't know what they don't know. You brought up the legal aspect of taking a longer than normal shot and defending that shot in court. What you obviously failed to realize is, which I mentioned before, is that it's not how far you made the shot, it's whether you were justified in taking the shot.

If you don't understand the basic tenets of lawful deadly force use, and how to defend taking ANY shot, at ANY distance, can't articulate coherently the tenets of lawful deadly force use which, btw, does not come with any distance restrictions in any law on the books in any state I'm aware of, then keep your shots to the distances you're comfortable properly defending in a court of law.

Hell, the OP started the thread because he thought he needed bullseye accuracy at 20 yrds with a small semi auto. He's now more aware of what bullet drop means at even 50 yrds, it means diddly squat IF one can make the shot to begin with through superior command of the basics. Now he doesn't have to worry about bullet drop, just getting command of the basics and extending those shots to past norms should the need arise.

As another mentioned that baseball practice and the shooter being past normal pistol sd distances. If anyone thinks for one second I'm not going to put lead on some turd from distance simply due to worrying about explaining the distance while taking incoming, their grasp of reality and what needs to done rfn to end the threat at any range is seriously lacking.
    And we now know you are capable of taking long shots with your handgun...Thank for informing us again.
    My offer still stands...I can go layout all my guns and post a pic because you seem to think i have no grasp of handguns.

We can agree to disagree on this one.
    Time for me to move on...Have a great one.

I can just see it now, in the aftermath of a mall shooting, the media interviewing a "good guy with a gun" who was 25 yards away from the shooter behind a concrete planter, but did nothing as men, women and children were killed with wanton abandon...

"My CCW instructor and many internet legal experts said I could only shoot an armed criminal in self-defense at the most 7 yards away, otherwise it was murder, so I just hid."
    Mike1956 and AzQkr like this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    I can just see it now, in the aftermath of a mall shooting, the media interviewing a "good guy with a gun" who was 25 yards away from the shooter behind a concrete planter, but did nothing as men, women and children were killed with wanton abandon...

"My CCW instructor and many internet legal experts said I could only shoot an armed criminal in self-defense at the most 7 yards away, otherwise it was murder, so I just hid."
    For me, I won't be interviewed, but I'll be alive. I carry to defend myself my family, and assure our survival, not to be a hero at a mall shooting.

If I'm in a self defense situation and the threat is 50 to 100 yards away, I'm calling that a head start and I'm out. I'll be setting a record 40 yard dash time for my age group too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Cornhusker95 likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

And we now know you are capable of taking long shots with your handgun...Thank for informing us again.
    My offer still stands...I can go layout all my guns and post a pic because you seem to think i have no grasp of handguns.

We can agree to disagree on this one.
    Time for me to move on...Have a great one.
    Laying out all your guns would not confirm you have or do not have a grasp of the laws regarding the use of deadly force or being able to articulate the lawful use of any firearm. I know lots of people who own hundreds of guns who don't have the first clue about the tenets and requirements of deadly force use. But if you can lay out the instruction manuals of those guns and show us where any of them come with a hint of distance restrictions based on barrel length or weight, I'd appreciate seeing them as I'm sure others would.

Or perhaps show us anywhere in any deadly force use laws in any state that mention distance restrictions for handguns used in SD deadly force encounters, I'm all ears.
    OD* likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Astom22 View Post
    For me, I won't be interviewed, but I'll be alive. I carry to defend myself my family, and assure our survival, not to be a hero at a mall shooting.

If I'm in a self defense situation and the threat is 50 to 100 yards away, I'm calling that a head start and I'm out. I'll be setting a record 40 yard dash time for my age group too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Great plan, unless you are in the middle of an open field and are the person being shot at.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post

The media never interviews a good guy with a gun...Doesn't fit their narrative.

VIP Member
    I thought you folded back at post #65. Are we going to have to disagree some more?
    Cornhusker95 and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Great plan, unless you are in the middle of an open field and are the person being shot at.
    Ya, he might just die tired with a holstered pistol.

Oh yes they do, ESPECIALLY when the "Good Guy" didn't stop the shooting.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Laying out all your guns would not confirm you have or do not have a grasp of the laws regarding the use of deadly force or being able to articulate the lawful use of any firearm. I know lots of people who own hundreds of guns who don't have the first clue about the tenets and requirements of deadly force use. But if you can lay out the instruction manuals of those guns and show us where any of them come with a hint of distance restrictions based on barrel length or weight, I'd appreciate seeing them as I'm sure others would.

Or perhaps show us anywhere in any deadly force use laws in any state that mention distance restrictions for handguns used in SD deadly force encounters, I'm all ears.
    So we are done here and all good?...Great i didn't want to have take pictures and call any ones bluff anyway.
    I would have to drag them all out..Lay them out...And for what?...Their would still be a reason why i wrong and your right.
    even though we both made valid points and are the same side of the gun debate.

Distinguished Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    When I test a new load I bench rest the first 10 rounds. That'll tell you more on how accurate the gun is and how inaccurate you are.
    I don't have a ransom rest so I just use a sand bag or wooden rest and even just rest the gun butt on the table.
    The only couple of.reasons for shooting at that distance for me with a 9mm would be for a survival reason, shooting some critter for dinner. In that instance I'd be prone or resting the gun on a log or tree branch etc.
    Or because I can, except I probably can't
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links