New carry weapon

New carry weapon

This is a discussion on New carry weapon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up a new Springfield XDS Mod.2 9mm with a Viridian Laser and fiber optic sights today to use as my new CCW.Going to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: New carry weapon

New carry weapon

Just picked up a new Springfield XDS Mod.2 9mm with a Viridian Laser and fiber optic sights today to use as my new CCW.Going to the range tomorrow to try it out since I haven't used a gun with a laser before.I have an LCP that I pocket carry in the summer,but I wanted something a little better and for me the Xd40 mod.2 is just a little too heavy and large for my liking.

VIP Member
    When I teach people to shoot I often use a gun with a laser. The point being, when aiming the gun, if you can see the laser your aim is off. I have seen way too many people at indoor ranges "chase the little red dot" around the target paper, making holes everywhere except center of mass.

I also know that a lot of people shoot well using lasers. My nearest and dearest is one of them. I am not. They throw me off big time.

Let us know how it works for you.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

That XDS MOd 2 package should serve you well.

A laser isn't the cure-all for accuracy, so do practice with it off , so
    if it ever fails, you know where your sights are.

I like the Springfield XDS, XD MOD 2, and would the XDS MOD 2 if I can
    handle one in person.

Have fun!
    OldChap likes this.
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love: 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    Congrats on your new gun, in my opinion, what I have seen at my local range, a laser will SCREW your shooting, and lets faced if is not the one with a grip activation button, do you think you will have time to turn it on ? and like I said this in my opinion and I've been wrong before.
    OldChap and ShooterGranny like this.

I donít like shooting with a laser myself, because i find that trying to see the laser throws my form off. That being said, I imagine someone seeing a little red dot on their chest would be a little more nerve racking than just seeing someone standing there with a gun.
    OldChap likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by BSides01 View Post
    Just picked up a new Springfield XDS Mod.2 9mm with a Viridian Laser and fiber optic sights today to use as my new CCW.Going to the range tomorrow to try it out since I haven't used a gun with a laser before.I have an LCP that I pocket carry in the summer,but I wanted something a little better and for me the Xd40 mod.2 is just a little too heavy and large for my liking.
    Congratulations. Just a small word of advice. Don't use the laser until you get someone to instruct you on when and where it is appropriate to use it. Lasers are excellent (and irreplaceable) for their intended purposes. Not so much for general shooting. Get comfortable with your iron sights first.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Congratulations. Just a small word of advice. Don't use the laser until you get someone to instruct you on when and where it is appropriate to use it. Lasers are excellent (and irreplaceable) for their intended purposes. Not so much for general shooting. Get comfortable with your iron sights first.
    The iron sights are fiber optic like my previous XD40 mod.2 so I am at least familiar with this type sight.But yes I intend to do most of my practice shooting using the iron FO sights to get used to them and the new gun.
    OldChap and ShooterGranny like this.

Springfield (Croatian built) pistols are great quality.....
    OldChap likes this.

@BSides01 Sounds good. As you can see from the reactions, lasers are not held in very high regard around here. Personally, I'll be eternally grateful I had one on my Glock 21. The little red dot kept me from shooting a guy one night. Long story.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Nice setup.
    Gotta say, my cats prefer the lasers.
    Fallsrider likes this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Congratulations on your new carry; I hope it will serve you long and well, BSides01.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

Distinguished Member
    I tried a freindís
    Intolerance with a laser once at the range. I really did not like using it. I guess having learned to shoot with traditional sights made it hard for me to get accustomed to the DOT. I kept trying to stabilize the dot. It was an awful failure of mind over matter. I am happy with my 3 dot sights even. When I have to use a flashlight in the dark.
    J-Frame likes this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June Ď66 to February Ď68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

I like lasers, but only the ones that turn on by grip pressure. I only use crimson trace or surefire. Green is better then red so i am converting colors. I have aleays said that if you nees to use your gun you may not always have the ability to aquire your sights, i.e. extend your arms to shoot. You may find yourself knocked down or in a compromised position that you need to shoot from a constrained position. A laser will help. Plus alot of people have a hard time understanding how iron sights work (they may not even shoot poa vs poi) a laser is adjustable and simple. When i was selling guns and shooting accessories dads would always want their kids to not use scopes and shoot irons on deer guns until i explained the advantages of using a red dot sight. Put dot on target and squeeze trigger. Pretty easy.

I like my XDs. Great little gun and very accurate for the size. I have held a MOD2 XDs and it felt great in the hand. No experience with lasers. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

I stopped by the range this afternoon and shot about 100 rds through the new XDS mod.2 9 mm and I loved feel of it.I alternated some Federal 147 gr.FMJ ,some Brazer Brass FMJ and some Speer Gold Dot 147 gr.defense ammo and it all ran without issues with both magazines.I used the fiber optic sights for all but about 5 rds at distances from 7-10 yds.and was pleased with the results.My new cross breed holster is supposed to arrive tomorrow and hopefully everything fits well.
    MMinSC likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links