1911 for Defense - Page 17

1911 for Defense

This is a discussion on 1911 for Defense within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; GoodSam, You might want to research your belief that cops didn't carry 1911-A1's. After WWII, law enforcement agencies hired many returning GI's...for a lot of ...

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17
Like Tree1236Likes

Thread: 1911 for Defense

GoodSam,

You might want to research your belief that cops didn't carry 1911-A1's. After WWII, law enforcement agencies hired many returning GI's...for a lot of reasons. They already had extensive knowledge of the 1911-A1. Hence, many cops of that historical era carried 1911-A1's on-duty. I'm sure that law enforcement agencies of that era bought surplus 1911-A1's from the military, assuredly at a price that'd make all 1911-A1 aficionados envious.

The 1911-A1 has to be the most recognized handgun in the world.
    msgt/ret, gatorbait51 and BIGSAM like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    I've been given to understand that Kimber has always been as off the shelf semi custom gun. I understand also that prior management concentrated on product and not enough on QC/Customer service . This hurt their reputation although I would hazard the guess that a lot of it was operator error/inexperience .

I don't own one but have shot a few , nice , smooth firearm .
    I was kinda likening them to private schools down here in the South. They were very, very good teaching institutions that had excellent teachers, very good teacher to student ratios and, could even have things like a required Bible class alongside Civics, Math, Science and, English. Then, along came desegregation and bussing kids across town. I still remember riding along with my parents as they house-hunted. Three things they looked at were the house for sale, the neighborhood and, the neighborhood school. When bussing came, the neighborhood school didnít mean anything. Your child could no longer walk or ride his/her bike to school, anymore. So then, private schools began receiving more applications to attend and instead of turning away that tuition monies, they began stacking more students into the classrooms. Well, there are only so many kids that can be taught properly per classroom so, the schools hired more teachers and built more classrooms. In order to hire more teachers, they lowered the hiring standard that was previously in place. As a result of more students per class, per less than excellent teacher you end up with graduates that are not on par with graduates of earlier years.
    With more people becoming first time buyers of handguns, a percentage of those will want ďthe bestĒ and be steered(by the store owner/employee) toward Kimber with its high-end price tag. Kimber demands increase and are faced with a choice...turn away $$$ or crank out their products faster. Doing it faster inevitably leads to cutting assembly/testing/fitting time.

Just my $0.02 as someone outside and looking in....
    msgt/ret and gatorbait51 like this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

I have carried single stacks, double stacks, striker fired, hammer fired over the years and I have come back to a Officer model 1911. I instructed Coast Guard Law Enforcement personnel on the 1911 and it was the carry gun for many years before switching to the Beretta 92 never had an issues of one not going bang when it was suppose to.
    msgt/ret, Havok, SatCong and 2 others like this.
    Max
    USCG Ret. Code Enforcement Officer, Small Arms Instructor.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Hi, everyone, I am a 70 year old fart that started shooting a Colt 1911 pretty much as soon as it would not knock me down as a child. It was my grandfather's and my father who had been a platoon Sgt. during WWII taught me well in all the ins and outs of the firearm so that by the time I graduated from college and ROTC as a Second Lieutenant I was able to qualify with one on my first try at expert.

I have not kept up with who is making the "best" combat 1911's these days and that is also subjective. With all the liberals getting limits put on ammo capacity of magazines (10 rounds now in CA) and the fact that I currently live in the "Peoples Republic of California." I am downsizing my firearms inventory to the bare minimum I absolutely "Need" as I get older and am moving into a "seniors only" complex. I am considering downloaded ammo in things like snub nose .44 Mag handguns for around the apartment carry. However, so far I have been very disappointed by the ammo loading available even loading with high end .44 Specials for close range social engagements. I have turned to searching my first love the Colt 1911. I carried a custom 1911 by a name gunsmith but I want to hear others more up to date opinions of what is consider state of the art today. The one thing about the .45 ACP is there is no shortage of top shelf self defense ammo available designed for it. It is funny how a 100 year old firearm just keeps on being at the forefront of things. May, I have the benefit of the collective wisdom here so it will narrow down my search of contenders; no pun intended?
    G-man* and mhl6493 like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Bears View Post
    I carried a custom 1911 by a name gunsmith but I want to hear others more up to date opinions of what is consider state of the art today.
    Who was your 'smith, it would give a baseline to compare against.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17

Sponsored Links