1911 for Defense - Page 4

1911 for Defense

This is a discussion on 1911 for Defense within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm And, I have no idea at all how you deduce that from what I stated, lol. With that said; as you ...

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree1232Likes

Thread: 1911 for Defense

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    And, I have no idea at all how you deduce that from what I stated, lol.

With that said; as you were.
    I was yankin' your chain. I actually agree with you in general. I just love me some wheelguns!
    G-man*, gasmitty and gatorbait51 like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

pskys2
    " Keep your thumb on the thumb safety when firing as recommended by Jeff Cooper."

I'm sorry but maybe I read some of his older stuff, but I never heard anything out of Cooper that didn't sound a lot like senility taking over. I know that's a blasphemy. But there it is. And the manual safety was never designed as a thumb rest. People do it on aftermarket safeties. And they shouldn't.
    HotBrass45 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blueronin View Post
    pskys2
    " Keep your thumb on the thumb safety when firing as recommended by Jeff Cooper."

I'm sorry but maybe I read some of his older stuff, but I never heard anything out of Cooper that didn't sound a lot like senility taking over. I know that's a blasphemy. But there it is. And the manual safety was never designed as a thumb rest. People do it on aftermarket safeties. And they shouldn't.
    I really didn't come to DC tonight to be argumentative but IMO an aftermarket safety is designed to be a thumb rest to prevent a person from pushing the safety on in addition to be a larger target to flick off. Always worked for me for over a hundred thousand rounds of 1911/2011 shooting pleasure. Obviously your YMMV.
    OD* and gatorbait51 like this.
    Joe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly3458 View Post
    Historically I have relied on striker fired and DA/SA pistols,
    without safeties, for defensive purposes. Lately I have grown exceedingly fond of single action triggers.

I often read about the unreliability of 1911 type pistols and the muscle memory of switching off the safety.

So I am curious how many have selected a 1911 either in 45 or 9MM for defense and has the pistol been reliable? And is it really that difficult to learn to switch the safer off? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In my view, the first part is mostly Internet BS, and the second part is (largely) overblown. This ain't rocket science.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    In my view, the first part is mostly Internet BS, and the second part is (largely) overblown. This ain't rocket science.
    I agree. When I was a teenager, the Navy trusted me with a 1911, an M-1 Garand, an M-2 Carbine, an M-14, and an M-2 50 BMG. That was before Al Gore invented the internet. I am glad I learned to shoot and learned ballistics before the internet.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

YMMV? The priginal 1911 didn't come with extended thumb safeties. I think you missed my point. For a lot of shooter, resting your thumb on the safety deactivates the grip safrty.
    HotBrass45 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Thatís a bit hyperbolic, donít you think?

When I was on Battalion staff and was issued a pistol instead of a rifle...I damn sure had no illusions about a sidearm being an offensive weapon. And I sure as heck wanted my rifle back!

Nope. It's factual.

A handgun should not be substituted for a battle rifle. However, during both World Wars and Vietnam, the 1911 & 1911-A1.45 ACP were offensive battle weapons when they were the right tool for the job; e.g., tunnel clearing in Vietnam and stopping WWII Japanese bonsai suicide charges in the Pacific Theater.

The Tommy Gun was chambered for .45 ACP.

I have always carried some version of the 1911. I always make sure the pistol AND magazines (and ammunition) are 100% reliable before using them as EDC. Never a problem. I wouldn't have it any other way.
    OD*, J-Frame, PhaedrusIV and 3 others like this.
    Cheers!

Joe
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

Something I find interesting is that many internet experts consider the 1911 to be an antiquated design. Yet they will to recommend the sig p238 when they are thinking about 380 pistols. It has all the "problems" of the 1911, the dreaded manual safety, and one less safety feature, the grip safety.

Of course those same internet experts only, grudgingly, allow the 380 in their universe "for small woman." The irony of that is that the micro 1911 style 380s' are almost unshootable by small women. The full size beretta & 1911 service pistol is significantly easier to shoot.

Needless to say, I take internet experts with a small grain of salt. There are a few pistols that I would not recommend for daily carry. The 1911 is not one of them
    J-Frame and gatorbait51 like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I can't make a valid comment on training courses but am enthused about competition. A commitment to compete with a chosen firearm reaps huge rewards.

I'm way ... way younger than some who have favorably commented here about depending on the 1911 gun as I've only owned one for 40 years now. Only shot others' 1911s occasionally for a few years prior to acquiring my first one. The pistol's like a comfortable pair of jeans for me to operate and I am willing to carry one. I think I lead a charmed life for my mechanically stock 1911 guns have given perfect satisfaction. I can't seem to care (enough) about high-capacity to devote myself to carrying any of several pistol holding "lots'a bullets."

Regarding safety issues: Of course this is an anecdotal account of personal experience, but I've never had issues with safeties. Doesn't mean I might not in future, however a safety's not hung me up on the range or in the field. If the quail flushed, the teal rocketed past at willow treetop level, the dove suddenly dropped in from over the stock tank dam, the deer appeared, or the coyote or other varmint was making his escape, the safety hasn't been fumbled in the effort to make the shot. Even when, through the years, sometimes markedly different firearms designs with respect to how their safeties are manipulated are used, the safety has not been an issue. Well ... I take that back. I did have a wonderful AyA double-barreled shotgun with an automatic safety. That safety would catch me out. That was one of the first times I realized that I never wish to be "nannied" by any mechanical ( or electronic or governmental policy) contrivance designed to help protect me from myself. I want control!

Anyway, the 1911 safety doesn't have to be of concern. if one doesn't want to be familiar with it then he may devote himself a different pistol design.

Only last night I was feeling a bit poorly in the middle of the night and was surprised to find this photograph on the way to some place else while browsing online, looking at a site about photographs of old Fort Worth which is my home town. Says it was taken in the mid-1970s. Weber's still looked the same in 1978 when I purchased my first 1911, the World War I vintage Colt. Was a clunker then; think it was $140-$145 as they knocked off $5 or $10 dollars for an over-enthused kid just turned 21. Is a clunker now, but it has always fed and functioned through many thousand handloads. That's multiple canvas U. S. Mint nickel bags-full of handloads run through it.

Would hate for OD* to critically examine it for he'd probably pronounce it "plumb tuckered out."

Man, but Weber's had some good stuff in there and vague memories of particularly interesting guns see them with now-low price tags dangling from trigger guards!

If anyone wants to poke around in old photographs this is a great site, even if you're not from the region.
    http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/oldftw/oldftw.htm
    Not me, Bryan, the ol' girl is just gettin' broke -in!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    YMMV? The priginal 1911 didn't come with extended thumb safeties. I think you missed my point. For a lot of shooter, resting your thumb on the safety deactivates the grip safrty.
    What? Holding the 1911 with thumbs down deactivates the thumb safety too.
    PhaedrusIV and gatorbait51 like this.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.

NRA Patron Member

LOL. No, that's not what I'm saying. Whenever I rest my thumb from my shooting hand on the thumb safety, I inevitably fail to depress the grip safety sufficient for the gun to fire. So I lock my thumb down after swiping the safety off. An older gentleman that used to shoot pin matches taught me that. Incidently, he had his custom 1911 with the grip safety pinned as to deactivate it. Something he said that he would never do with his carry gun. Now having said all of this, to each his own. I am hardly the 1911 expert that many on this forum probably are. As I have said: I've owned one over the course of shooting nearly four decades of shooting. I am certainly no expert on the 1911.
    OD*, msgt/ret, PhaedrusIV and 1 others like this.

I got a P938 recently. For the safety, it will just take time to become a habit. Most of any discussion i have heard concerning safety centers around "stressful moments" and using a 1911 - as if people forget to engage the switch. I handled rifles more than pistols growing up so I always am trying to flip "a safety" as I'm about to shoot. As weird as it sounds, I found myself doing that with my first striker.

Our gun club has competition events and I do want a 1911 for those. The members I know who have a 1911 all speak favorably of it. I'm not sure if I could CC one though.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    LOL. No, that's not what I'm saying. Whenever I rest my thumb from my shooting hand on the thumb safety, I inevitably fail to depress the grip safety sufficient for the gun to fire. So I lock my thumb down after swiping the safety off. An older gentleman that used to shoot pin matches taught me that. Incidently, he had his custom 1911 with the grip safety pinned as to deactivate it. Something he said that he would never do with his carry gun. Now having said all of this, to each his own. I am hardly the 1911 expert that many on this forum probably are. As I have said: I've owned one over the course of shooting nearly four decades of shooting. I am certainly no expert on the 1911.
    Got'cha, it lifts your palm away from the pistol, thus activating the thumb safety.
    That issue has been resolved with the "memory bump" for those that have it happen to them (and want to carry a 1911).

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Love those old pictures, when I went back to college the instructor in my Humanities class played a tape ďGoldsboro Then and Now 1950-2000Ē. Very interesting seeing the changes over the years. Iíve only had one 1911 that was totally junk an AMD Government model. I tried many brands of ammo but never found any that would feed or extract reliably and accuracy, you couldnít hit the side of a barn even from inside. Finally traded it for a RIA, I think I got the better deal.
    I hardly recognize Goldsboro now and I was there from 79-86!!
    msgt/ret and gatorbait51 like this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links