Defensive Carry banner

One carry gun or two?

5K views 59 replies 37 participants last post by  Pete63 
#1 ·
I am moving towards wanting to carry two handguns most of the time. I prefer a revolver as my primary but I understand the potential drawbacks of needing to reload quickly under certain situations so having a "New York Reload" on hand would bring peace of mind. I'm thinking of going with an LCP as my BUG in the pocket. My reasoning is that between the two platforms of revolver & semi-auto one of them is going to work for sure and the LCP won't weigh down my carry side too much. Or, I may just carry another revolver, a J-Frame in the pocket so I can carry the same ammo for both primary and BUG. I haven't decided yet.

But there is more to it then just faster reloads. Carrying two guns is beneficial in more ways then one, particularly if you ever needed to arm someone else in your party if something is going down or if you either drop or have your primary wrested away from you. Any current or former LEO who may be on the forum doesn't need me to tell them the benefits of carrying two guns.

However, I'm just a civilian and one thing has given me second thoughts on doing this. I watched a video on Youtube by "Paul Harrell" titled "Why I don't Like Hyper Ammo". In it he describes a case where someone who had been carrying two guns had fended off an attacker with one of them. He didn't actually fire a shot but while in court the DA was arguing before the judge that he was guilty of some crime because "MOST PEOPLE DON'T GO AROUND CARRYING TWO GUNS!" was his exact statement (28:30).

He was attempting to portray the victim as a real bad apple, a "gun nut" who was loaded for bear and looking for trouble because he had the audacity to carry two guns. While it doesn't sound like the DA was able to make anything out of that argument the fact that he even tried bugs me. I can see how that could be used against someone and depending on the DA, district, judge and/or jury maybe not everyone will fare as well as the person in Mr. Harrell's video?

See less See more
#37 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am moving towards wanting to carry two handguns most of the time. I prefer a revolver as my primary .......... a J-Frame in the pocket so I can carry the same ammo for both primary and BUG. I haven't decided yet......
@GoodSam you could give carrying two a try and see what you think after a while. I would suggest you spend some time practicing if you are going to do such. Will you use strong hand for both or will you use your weak hand, too? Shoulder holster, IWB, OWB, pocket, crossdraw, ankle, etc?

I occasionally will carry a BUG either in my weak side pocket or in an ankle holster, and as a matter of fact did so today. While most on this forum will agree to the logic for carrying one handgun, as you have seen by the responses, if you choose to go beyond one there are many different opinions and reasons.

Here is the funnest way to carry two.

Belt Khaki Waist Outerwear Thigh

#40 ·
I am moving towards wanting to carry two handguns most of the time. I prefer a revolver as my primary .......... a J-Frame in the pocket so I can carry the same ammo for both primary and BUG. I haven't decided yet......
@GoodSam you could give carrying two a try and see what you think after a while. I would suggest you spend some time practicing if you are going to do such. Will you use strong hand for both or will you use your weak hand, too? Shoulder holster, IWB, OWB, pocket, crossdraw, ankle, etc?

I occasionally will carry a BUG either in my weak side pocket or in an ankle holster, and as a matter of fact did so today. While most on this forum will agree to the logic for carrying one handgun, as you have seen by the responses, if you choose to go beyond one there are many different opinions and reasons.

Here is the funnest way to carry two.

View attachment 278839
I plan on carrying one IWB (revolver) and one in the pocket (LCP), right side. One extra mag (for the LCP) in rear left pocket and two speed strips in right leg pocket for the revolver. Also, one defensive folding knife in right rear pocket. I can reload/access everything from this point if I had to. My left arm is weak and I don't trust it so I'm not putting any guns in the pocket on the left side.

At this point I am not sure if I want to carry the LCP or the J-Frame in the pocket. If I carry two revolvers I can feed them both from the same ammo type (.38spl) if need be without having to carry two different types of ammo but it will be heavier and bulkier to carry.

#43 ·
Generally I carry two weapons. The primary, a ruger LCR 327 revolver, is great in every department except capacity. That's where my backup which is a sub compact semi ruger lc9s comes into play. I don't mind carrying the later in an ankle holster or pocket carry. While the revolver is either 2:30 IWB or appendix.

I think this is more of a personal choice after evaluating what threats are more likely than others. Also, I've seen plenty of vids where police in a high stress situation miss the majority shots. So I think it smart to have a backup plan. At least that is how I feel about me...

I feel I have the best of all worlds when I am able to carry both.

#49 ·
Everybody has an angle, anecdote, or catch phrase to justify what they do or don’t.

I try to keep my head on straight, think for myself, and adjust to my own reality. If a person feels like they want to tote around 2,3,4 guns, more power to ‘em.

I dont feel feel like doing that. I don’t even feel like packing around one, let alone two.

#60 ·
Everybody has an angle, anecdote, or catch phrase to justify what they do or don’t.

I try to keep my head on straight, think for myself, and adjust to my own reality. If a person feels like they want to tote around 2,3,4 guns, more power to ‘em.

I dont feel feel like doing that. I don’t even feel like packing around one, let alone two.
Thanks for mentioning me!:danceban:

Reactions: G-man*
#52 · (Edited)
I have never shot a revolver. I have used a semimauto in the Corps when I carried a M1911A1. It never failed to work even in the worst conditions. Since then I have owned as many as nine semiautos in different calibers and by different manufacturers. I have shot at least twenty thousand rounds through those guns over the 30years since I left the Corps. I have never had one of the guns fail to operate correctly. I have had some failures due to cheap ammo. I do not use that stuff anymore. Today I own only two Taurus G2C semis. I rotate them from night stand to edc. The newer one is approaching 1,000 rounds and the older one has over 2,000. There have been no ammo or gun glitches. I carry 12+1 with an extra magazine. With 25 rounds and a properly functioning semi I can not see any reason to have a second gun on my person.

Reactions: OldChap
#57 ·
I have never shot a revolver. I have use semimautos si cr the Corps when I carried a M1911A1. It never failed work enemy in the worst conditions. Since the. I have owned as many as nine semiautos in different calibers and by different manufacturers. I have shot at least twenty thousand ground through those guns over the 39 years since I left the Corps. I have never had one of the guns fail to,operate correctly. Imhave had some failures due to cheap ammo. I do not use that stuff anymore. Today O,own only two Taurus G2C semis. I rotate them from,night founds through it, and the newer one is approaching 1,000. There have been no ammo,or gun glitches. I carry 12+1 with an extra magazine. with 25 rounds and a properly functioning semi, I ca. Or see any reason to have a second gun on my person.
I might be wrong, but I think your speech-to-text engine is suffering from a Chinese accent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.