Defensive Carry banner

One carry gun or two?

5K views 59 replies 37 participants last post by  Pete63 
#1 ·
I am moving towards wanting to carry two handguns most of the time. I prefer a revolver as my primary but I understand the potential drawbacks of needing to reload quickly under certain situations so having a "New York Reload" on hand would bring peace of mind. I'm thinking of going with an LCP as my BUG in the pocket. My reasoning is that between the two platforms of revolver & semi-auto one of them is going to work for sure and the LCP won't weigh down my carry side too much. Or, I may just carry another revolver, a J-Frame in the pocket so I can carry the same ammo for both primary and BUG. I haven't decided yet.

But there is more to it then just faster reloads. Carrying two guns is beneficial in more ways then one, particularly if you ever needed to arm someone else in your party if something is going down or if you either drop or have your primary wrested away from you. Any current or former LEO who may be on the forum doesn't need me to tell them the benefits of carrying two guns.

However, I'm just a civilian and one thing has given me second thoughts on doing this. I watched a video on Youtube by "Paul Harrell" titled "Why I don't Like Hyper Ammo". In it he describes a case where someone who had been carrying two guns had fended off an attacker with one of them. He didn't actually fire a shot but while in court the DA was arguing before the judge that he was guilty of some crime because "MOST PEOPLE DON'T GO AROUND CARRYING TWO GUNS!" was his exact statement (28:30).

He was attempting to portray the victim as a real bad apple, a "gun nut" who was loaded for bear and looking for trouble because he had the audacity to carry two guns. While it doesn't sound like the DA was able to make anything out of that argument the fact that he even tried bugs me. I can see how that could be used against someone and depending on the DA, district, judge and/or jury maybe not everyone will fare as well as the person in Mr. Harrell's video?

See less See more
#2 ·
Two snubby’s are better than one! Most of the time I carry just the 642. When I want to, I toss in the LCP as well. Having a backup is handy. When the wardrobe requires deep conceal, I roll just the LCP. Options are nice. Sometimes I even leave the house without one (gasp!).

#3 ·
Maybe not carry anything?

In it he describes a case where someone who had been carrying two guns had fended off an attacker with one of them. He didn't actually fire a shot but while in court the DA was arguing before the judge that he was guilty of some crime because "MOST PEOPLE DON'T GO AROUND CARRYING TWO GUNS!" was his exact statement (28:30). He was attempting to portray the victim as a real bad apple, a "gun nut" who was loaded for bear and looking for trouble because he had the audacity to carry two guns.
If you worry about DA criticism after a defensive shooting, the safest route is to not carry a defensive gun at all. Of course you may never go to trial because you will be dead.

#5 ·
I tend to carry a single stack 9mm and my 642 in the winter because my belt gun is much slower to reach with winter clothing so I drop the 642 in my coat pocket (without a holster) and can have hand on gun when needed. My wife and I walk a lot even in winter so its no gloves and hands in pockets for me with one hand near the 642.
I also drop the 642 in my off hand pants pocket (with holster) when I open carry even though I am usually remote when I open carry. Just as a backup if someone thinks they need my open carried firearm. Two snubbies is a heck of a good system as well. One AIWB for speed and one offside pocket for surprise. I have carried like this as well. I think your reasoning is sound.

#10 ·
I have started to go the New York reload route recently.

For years I have primarily pocket carried an LCR. A few years back I bought an LCRx for belt carry. I had been searching for the proper holster to carry the LCRx 2" in a crossdraw position. I use a Galco Stinger for the LCRx because that holster has almost no cant to it, so with the extended 3 finger grip that comes on the 3" bbl LCRx I can carry it at about the 11 o'clock position and the original LCR stays in my right pocket.

I view the LCR as my primary because I am so accustomed to pocket carry and it is the easiest to access discretely and draw quickly. I am a firm believer in pocket carry as being one of the best methods to carry for the average concealed carrier for many reasons that have been covered in other threads.

Attachments

#12 ·
Nothing wrong with carrying a spare I do a lot of the time. My BUG is either a G43 loaded with 124+p or a S&W M60 old pinned model Loaded with Hydra Shoks. I carry them for the same reasons you mentioned. Another good video regarding back up guns is Clint Smiths. I mostly carry a bug as I’ve been in fights before that turned into guns being in the mix. The biggest advice I can offer is carry something you’d be willing to make your primary and carry it in a secure fashion. I use an ankle holster and have a Galco Ankle glove for my j frame. For the G43 I use a Fobus which I purchased after my nylon job decided to come apart in a fight and dump my j frame in the middle of our fight. Having seen first hand how bad on the psyche that is I’ll take the more is merrier route all day. For someone who has access to their pockets that’s a good choice other wise a ankle rig is hard to beat.

#14 ·
I've carried spares for decades. Equipment carried, do not make a good shoot bad. Close friend used a spare to save himself back in 1980. That drove home the point to me. I go nowhere without them! I would worry more about making the shot to defend myself, than worrying about what someone thought I should or shouldn't carry.

#15 ·
@GoodSam With all due respect to Paul, if you decide to listen to every "catch line" voiced as gospel truth on the internet, you'll probably decide to stop breathing. The plain and simple fact is that numerous people always quote outlandish things that happen in courtrooms - almost none of them actually give legal case numbers - so that the public records may be examined for factual content.

I have been in numerous courtrooms. I have a friend who is a federal appeals court judge. I have seen, heard, and been told things that would make your hair stand on end. The only reason some lawyers (prosecutors and defense alike - and a few judges) don't get publicly hanged in the town square is because those who were there chalked it up to one or two too many martinis at lunch that day. 150 years ago they would have been "tarred and feathered" and run out of town on a rail - or worse.

A prosecutor or defense attorney may or may not attack someone verbally for anything they think they can slip past a snoozing judge. They will say those things, then quickly "withdraw" the statement or question before the other side can blow the building down on them. And they do that in an attempt to "color" the jury - make them side with them, without actually hearing an answer or finding the truth. It is a shameful part of our justice system.

Now. Would it become an actual liability that you carry two guns? Not unless you act like a Hollyweird bad boy and shoot up the place. You would be surprised how many police officers carry one, or even two backup guns. Many are bristling with weapons for that bad day when they get into a life or death struggle.

You, as a legally armed citizen, have every bit as much right to defend your life as a police officer. IF the issue is ever brought up in court, it is simple to throw a large plate of over-easy fried eggs on the prosecutors' face by calling an officer armed with a backup and questioning him carefully about the "why" of it all. That is, assuming you didn't act like said Hollyweird shoot-em-up type to begin with.

Practically speaking, I always carry a backup. What you carry is one of those decisions only you can make about your circumstances.

#28 ·
@GoodSam With all due respect to Paul, if you decide to listen to every "catch line" voiced as gospel truth on the internet, you'll probably decide to stop breathing. The plain and simple fact is that numerous people always quote outlandish things that happen in courtrooms - almost none of them actually give legal case numbers - so that the public records may be examined for factual content.
Thanks for the post. I am not the type who buys into everything they hear online and there are very few "experts" that I take seriously and Paul Harrell is one of them. I have no reason to believe that he would be making anything up or exaggerating the case he had mentioned.

His point was that what you carry and how many guns you carry could, in fact, be a problem in court depending on the circumstances and I tend to agree.

#16 ·
I generally carry two guns simply because I can. The pocket gun is completely unnoticeable until I put my hand on it. It has its purposes, none of which being the ones you mentioned.

As far as worries about prosecutors may or may not do over something that may or may not occur, I'm simply not there. I know what I'm doing, why I do it, and am comfortable in my ability to articulate my reasons and actions in a given situation.

#24 ·
I generally carry two guns simply because I can. The pocket gun is completely unnoticeable until I put my hand on it. It has its purposes, none of which being the ones you mentioned.
Hmm... so having a BUG gun to go to for a faster reload, the ability to arm someone else in a conflict or to have a spare in case one is dropped or taken from you that I have mentioned are NONE of the reasons why you carry a BUG? What else is there left?

So pray tell, what are your reasons then?

#18 ·
I often carry 2. Even off-duty. In fact, every time I go to the city you'll catch me with my Shield OWB concealed under a +1 size T shirt or and overgarment, and my KLCR on my ankle. If I'm just wearing a tucked in T-shirt and jeans, 642 in right pocket, KLCR on my ankle.

I remember one particular pretty brutal fight I got into back in my Narcotics Agent days. I was attacked by 6 or 7 guys and went down a coupla times. Sometime during the fight my entire holster and GLOCK 22 (Safariland paddle holster) was knock from my side. I was on top of a guy punching him, and a bunch of folks were on my back, punching me, when I somehow, through it all, realized my GLOCK and holster were gone. I distinctly remember at that point thinking, "I gotta roll off this dude and find cover and pull my 642 off my ankle before someone in this crowd ends up blasting me with my own GLOCK" !

That's about when I started seeing guys peeling off my back. I looked up and saw an old Bailiff that had somehow found me out there (I never got a chance to call it in, but a resident saw it and called it in, the old bailiff heard the call and was in the area). That old Bailiff had my GLOCK, still secured in the Safariland paddle holster, and he was cracking thugs in the head with it. We ended grabbing up a few and booking them.

But, point is, that old Bailiff saved my butt and luckily he recovered my gun instead of one of those punks I was fighting. He told me he found it, still holstered, just sitting in the middle of the street when he drove up. Had he not shown up, or if one of those thugs would have found that GLOCK before he did, that J Frame on my ankle woulda been the only defense I had. Didn't need it, but sure glad I had it.

Thank God for back up guns, ….. and old Bailiffs !!!

#20 ·
A lot of two-gun-toters hereabouts, and that's just fine w moi.

I carry only one, well-working, highly reliable piece. It's reasonably clean and lubed; and I practice when I can. Sometimes a spare mag; that's it.

I find for me, one piece is plenty to be responsible for.

#21 ·
I am moving towards wanting to carry two handguns most of the time. I prefer a revolver as my primary but I understand the potential drawbacks of needing to reload quickly under certain situations so having a "New York Reload" on hand would bring peace of mind. I'm thinking of going with an LCP as my BUG in the pocket. My reasoning is that between the two platforms of revolver & semi-auto one of them is going to work for sure and the LCP won't weigh down my carry side too much. Or, I may just carry another revolver, a J-Frame in the pocket so I can carry the same ammo for both primary and BUG. I haven't decided yet.

But there is more to it then just faster reloads. Carrying two guns is beneficial in more ways then one, particularly if you ever needed to arm someone else in your party if something is going down or if you either drop or have your primary wrested away from you. Any current or former LEO who may be on the forum doesn't need me to tell them the benefits of carrying two guns.

However, I'm just a civilian and one thing has given me second thoughts on doing this. I watched a video on Youtube by "Paul Harrell" titled "Why I don't Like Hyper Ammo". In it he describes a case where someone who had been carrying two guns had fended off an attacker with one of them. He didn't actually fire a shot but while in court the DA was arguing before the judge that he was guilty of some crime because "MOST PEOPLE DON'T GO AROUND CARRYING TWO GUNS!" was his exact statement (28:30).

He was attempting to portray the victim as a real bad apple, a "gun nut" who was loaded for bear and looking for trouble because he had the audacity to carry two guns. While it doesn't sound like the DA was able to make anything out of that argument the fact that he even tried bugs me. I can see how that could be used against someone and depending on the DA, district, judge and/or jury maybe not everyone will fare as well as the person in Mr. Harrell's video?

And if he were only carrying one gun the DA likely would have said, "MOST PEOPLE DON'T GO AROUND CARRYING A GUN!"

I routinely carry two guns and have carried three when I felt the need. I always pocket carry my Sig P938 9mm and a spare magazine. I also carry a 1911, a Glock, or a revolver on my belt with from one to four reloads depending on where I am and what I am doing.

#22 ·
I carry based on my perceived threat and what my training tells me. While I respect everyone's right to their own choice for me If I felt like I needed two handguns, I may not go. Once again based on my perceived threat. Three of my most high risk areas in my life now is church (no, I am not kidding), a mall of some kind, and a fuel pump. I would add a Walmart visit but.... I rarely throw a LCR into a coat pocket on a very cold day with my 1911 on my belt but I usually don't do that either. With my love handles, two on a belt is right out.

#23 ·
@GoodSam, @OldChap had some good advice for you. Ask 100 people a question, you get 100 opinions. The key point is what works best for you. Only you can answer that question. I sound like the Smokey Bear commercials. Only you can prevent forest fires.

Another thought to keep in mind, is that one gun or two guns, if you don't practice drawing, shooting, reloading on the move, the number of guns may not matter at all. Guns are just tools. A trained person can accomplish a lot with just one tool. An untrained person can accomplish nothing with two.

As for the discussions about the DA, don't worry. Just tell the truth, only the truth. I'm an expert witness in commercial disputes. I'm on the stand a lot. The opposition is always going to try to make you sound awful. However, a well articulated truthful answer wins the day. No sir, I am not a careless driver that ignores speed limits. I drove 100 mph over the limit because my buddy was bleeding out in the back seat and needed help fast. Yes I called 911, but the ambulance was 45 minutes away.

Whether you choose to carry one gun or two, practice, train, again and again.

#26 ·
I been carrying a "2nd option" pistol for awhile, carried in weak hand front pocket.
It gives me the option to put my hand on it without revealing I'm carrying; handy if someone "shady" approaches in parking lot.
I had an extractor break and a "premium" factory HP squib lodge in barrel during practice, but failure of primary is not main reason for "2nd option".

I do not think I'll "need" a 2nd gun, it simply affords me the option to put my hand discretely on it that my primary IWB doesn't.
Why not just a pocket pistol? A pocket pistol is not what I would prefer to have in my hand if I had to defend my life.
I would much prefer a Glock 35 or 41 in my hand if I had to defend myself, so that is IWB; can't get it in my hand if it anit on me.
If I thought I would "need" a gun I would be going there in the first place.
My needs assessment: I'm going to ____ (basically leaving the house), I "needs" my pistols. :biggrin2:

I frequently see rationalizing less gun based on perception of a "good" area and it doesn't make sense to me.
Ex: A 380 (25 acp/32) deemed sufficient for "good" area but 9mm or bigger if greater threat anticipated / predicted "bad" area.
Seems one would want the same ASAP potential to stop a threat regardless of where the attack happened.

Like the justification sometimes used for minimal calibers, "I wouldn't want to get shot with it" or "Nobody volunteer to get shot with it"
Well, nobody want a cup of urine thrown on them or volunteer to be spit on, neither of which is quickly incapacitating.

#29 ·
I agree for the most part...Good points.
Caliber i totally agree.
Situational awareness is important.
Stay off your cell phone.
Sit down where your facing the entrance door,Scan for exit while there
Park in well lit area of a parking lot...Etc.

There is certain places i just don't go and won't go, no matter how armed i can make myself...Like a 24 Hr Walmart at 2am.
Nothing there is worth the headache and legal battles that would follow if i had to defend myself.

I carry just 1 gun keep it maintained and shoot it often and go about my business.
But i can't see a reason anyone should tell someone else that they shouldn't carry 2 or 3 or whatever they want.
I prefer 1

#27 ·
I don't carry more than one gun because I feel the need for more than one gun based on where I am. I carry more than one gun because they are mechanical devices that can fail for many reasons. Two is one and one is none. I can grip the gun in my pocket while standing in a crowded room and nobody notices. If I grip the gun on my belt everyone notices. If I am driving, my shirt is cleared of the seat belt and my belt gun is available. The gun in my pocket requires I take off the seatbelt and adjust my position to access it. My wife carries the same gun as I pocket carry. If she isn't carrying for some reason I can hand her my pocket gun and she is good to go.

#36 ·
It's the job of the prosecuting attorney to try to get traction against the defendant, regardless of the legalities of the case. Nowhere will you ever find a prosecutor saying, "Sorry judge, it all looks ship shape from here. We're good!". So you get ridiculous questions. It doesn't mean those questions carry an weight or even matter.

Do you normally carry 2 guns?

Sure, what's your point, because it's not illegal to do that.

It seems to me only a blood thirsty madman would carry more than 1 gun.

Okay. Can you show the studies that back that up? How about the witnesses? Case studies? Legal precedents?

No.

Moving on then...

A prosecutor will grasp at straws when they have nothing, because that's their job. That doesn't mean their straw grasping questions carry any weight.

#41 ·
It's the job of the prosecuting attorney to try to get traction against the defendant, regardless of the legalities of the case. Nowhere will you ever find a prosecutor saying, "Sorry judge, it all looks ship shape from here. We're good!". So you get ridiculous questions. It doesn't mean those questions carry an weight or even matter.

Do you normally carry 2 guns?

Sure, what's your point, because it's not illegal to do that.

It seems to me only a blood thirsty madman would carry more than 1 gun.

Okay. Can you show the studies that back that up? How about the witnesses? Case studies? Legal precedents?

No.

Moving on then...

A prosecutor will grasp at straws when they have nothing, because that's their job. That doesn't mean their straw grasping questions carry any weight.
That question would allow me to say .... :biggrin2:

I carried two guns when I was a police officer plus I had backup, and bullet resistant vest, don't have those now.

Are the officers in this court carrying a 2nd gun? How about officers on patrol today? Are you insinuating they are "bloodthirsty"?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.