Just for fun, defend the gun - Page 2

Just for fun, defend the gun

This is a discussion on Just for fun, defend the gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm .....and caliber combination that you feel is the very best, all round carry gun. Here are the perimeters of the thread; ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree472Likes

Thread: Just for fun, defend the gun

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    .....and caliber combination that you feel is the very best, all round carry gun.

Here are the perimeters of the thread;

It does not matter if you actually own it or carry it, just base your case on what you either know about it from personal experience or, what you have heard or read.

There is no countering or debate about anotherís opinion. It is what it is.

Honest opinion void of as much personal bias is very important. For instance, there may be certain brands, designs, calibers, or platforms that one prefers to own and shoot, but it might not fit the description of what is actually the best when you take the time to put thought in to what really checks all the boxes for you.

Ill start it off.

IMO, the Glock 27 is the best all round carry gun for about 90% of the time, not counting NPE, unless casual attire such as untucked shirts allow for concealment.

The Glock 27 is very size efficient for its caliber, being thin enough to carry IWB, packs a potent round in 40 S&W. Compared to a 1911, it is smaller in every way except width, is lighter, requires less attention, and has a higher capacity, with double the capacity using the larger 13 and 15 round spare mags. It is , depending on how you measure power, more powerful than a 45 Auto, and with the right loads, knocking on the door of the 357 magnum power.

Speaking of 357 Magnum power, it doubles the capacity of the small j magnums, while still being comparable in size and weight, and is much more controllable and quicker to reload than the j magnum. In fact, it may be more powerful round for round than the j magnum.

The versatility of the G27 is unmatched for dual purpose SD/Field use, as it is impervious to the elements and, all the attributes that make it so desirable for SD such as power, capacity, ease of use, and shoot ability, and lightweight, make it equally desirable for a hike in the woods, camping trip, or general carry around the farm.

Therefore, on these attributes, I rest my case. The G27 is the most efficient and best all round choice for concealed carry.

Defend your gun. Court is in session:)

And remember, keep it fun. No debates or arguments. As the results role in, there should be plenty of info provided to really allow all to think about things.
    I'm with you on all this. You left out, with a barrel & mag change you've got a cheaper second caliber for pratice & plinking (Not to mention 9mm is EVERYWHERE). But I'll add I carry BOTH these, or just one. My XD subcompact .40 has a small rail if I desire light/laser. It has all steel sights front & rear which are drift adjustable. Loaded chamber indicator. Cocked indicator. Ambidextrous mag release. With the extended mag, it give's ME a full grip (I,ve got large hands!), unlike on the G27 where my grip is a little crowded. And their extended mag carries a few more rounds of goodness! I guess the only thing some people say, is it's got a grip safety, but my my having run a 1911 the first 10 years I carried regularly, that has never been an issue with me.

Just for fun, defend the gun-img_20180901_111028.jpg
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Glock 30SF: can be concealed without undue effort, full grip with 10 round mag, legal limit in 10 round states, moderate recoil, 45 acp.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

VIP Member
    Well, so far, I own or carry most everything mentioned. Guess I've either been at it a long time OR.................................................. ..they ALL deserve holster time!
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Sadly, I haven't found the very best, yet, it's why I have so many.
    That dang truth^^^
    OD*, TSKnight, OldChap and 4 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tahmail View Post
    You mean "for you" right? It's a rather subjective question - one size does not fit all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If we put aside the obvious issues some have had, I will mention the obvious...Sig 365.

When I compare it in size, I donít carry my Glock 42 anymore. When I compare capacity too, it means my Shield stays home.
    Reliability is the only potentially big issue this gun has and many have not had issues - including myself - since Sig addresses some early bugs. It is a gun that likely has S&W, Glock, Springfield Arms and others designing a competitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    OldChap and MMinSC like this.

I am going to throw in the Glock 42. Oddly enough, I generally carry my Kimber Micro; but on paper the Glock is a better choice. To reignite the caliber wars, I do consider 380 to be a better choice. In an environment where I may actually need a firearm, I consider the risk of over penetration to be real.

I understand the "Over-penetration is a myth" (OPM) argument; but I think the proponents of that theory tend to forget that we are responsible for all shots, not just the ones that hit the badguy. At that point the OPM proponents feel proud in puffing out their chest and saying, in a condescending manner, something to the effect of "well, you just need to practice and learn to shoot." They seem to be oblivious to the point that it is possible to do both, to practice and hone skills, and still be concerned about the responsibility that is attached to every shot fired, no matter where it lands.

Toward my concern with the potential of each shot fired I have been sold on the ARX frangible ammunition. Someone once asked if "frangible" meant that it would break up it it hits a person. The tests I have seen make it clear that won't happen. However, as a very lite bullet at 56gr, it is designed to lose energy rapidly and to "fail" to penetrate, or at least lose a significant share of its energy, on hiting most normal barriers that exist in the urban environment.

As you can see, I am not looking for barrier blind, I am looking for barrier sensitive. In my now entirely civilian life I have no pretenses about any need to advance with marching fire, I am more concerned with point and retreating fire.

That all being said, I am reasonably set on my caliber choice. Yes, I have a couple of 9mm carbines; however, they are not daily carry arms. The only caliber that has me even more interested is the .32naa; but it isn't going anywhere.

As far as the Glock 42 platform, it is large enough to fire accurately and quickly. As most modern .380s', it uses a locking breech, allowing a wider choice of loadings, and further reducing felt recoil. No, it is not a pocket pistol. It is the size one would expect of a duty pistol in .380. There is no real need to extol on its "glock" features and nature, those that are true of all glocks are also true of this glock.

So, why do I fall back on my Kimber, and before that, my .380 Government Model (380 GM)? I expect a large component is just familiarity. Yes, I think the 380 GM derived pistols just look better and feel better in my hand. At the same time I keep thinking of the Browning 1911-380, it adds the grip safety. However, it is closer in size to the 380 GM than it is to the 380 BM micro pistols that are currently on the market.

With that being said, why do I say the Glock is better than the 380 GM as a defensive pistol? First off, the 380 GM is no longer being made. The other reason is that the single action autoloaders do require more practice to master.

I am back where I started, the Glock 42, even though it isn't what I am carrying right now.

Senior Member Array 1gunsnowbird's Avatar
    At this moment in time, I'd have to vote for my Glock 43, primarily because it's so much easier for me to CC in an IWB carbon fiber holster at 3:30. I don't hike in the mountains anymore, so my concerns revolve around the 2-legged kind. I can shoot a G43 about as good as I did my G26s and G27s. Loaded with HST 124-grain standard pressure rounds, I feel very confident in a G43.

Talk to me next week, my opinion might have changed (again). :-)
    forester58 and OldChap like this.
    Gumfighter - Big bubbles, no troubles. Hubba Bubba bubble gum

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I have three that make up all my carry options as primary guns.

First would be a Glock 30S and two spare G21 mags. 37 rounds of 230 grain .45 HSTs total.

For more concealability, a Shield 45 with two spare mags. 22 rounds of 230 grain .45 HSTs total.

Last, a Glock 27. My most versatile gun. I can carry it in 40, 9mm, or .357 Sig with a barrel change. All three have been flawless functionally. I carry appropriate HST for the caliber.

However, if things look really bleak, this is my number 4 choice:

Is there an IWB holster for that? >;~}
    OD*, Mark_in_wi and BIGSAM like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

@TSKnight . Iím sure glad you mentioned IWB. I had been looking for an ankle holster - without much success I might add.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Seriously,
    I have yet to find one that does everything I want. So...

This is what I would like.
    The ballistic range of the 45Colt in a manageable semi -auto package with adjustable night sights.

Too much to ask?
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

There is clearly no "best" as the "best" is determined by the mission and the operational environment. Taking the family to the mall, wearing untucked shirts is a different mission and environment than defending just myself while working in a NPE wearing tucked shirts and professional attire.

That said, rule # 1 is "have a gun." Therefore, I nominate the Ruger LCP and other micro .380s as the "best" because they satisfy Rule # 1 better than anything else, short of the NAA Mini Revolvers.

With practice, these pistols are surprisingly accurate. They are light weight, flat carrying, and will fit in just about any men's clothing pocket I've ever run across. With a wallet holster, they print like, well, a wallet or ubiquitous cell phone.

Having a gun in your pocket allows you to proactively have your gun in hand already during an iffy situation - something not possible with a belt carried gun.

The disadvantages of these guns are mostly mitigated...by simple carrying two of them. I've found carrying a pair of LCPs easier to pull off than even just one gun on the waist.

Magazines are small and carrying several of them is often easier than one larger pistol mag or revolver speed loader.

And for the going price, you can buy two of them cheaper than one Glock...much as I like Glocks.

I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, as it is almost a sport to ridicule these guns. Yet these pistols actually get carried by most citizens concerned with self defense, which is more than you can say for most other options, once the novelty of carrying a big blaster wears off.

I've said it before, if I could only have one, the LCP would be it...simply because, I could always have it on me.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

This is difficult. Iíve never really considered what a single best gun would be. I find the ones that I think are the best for a certain job, and where they lack, I buy another to fill that void. I think if I had to go to just one gun, it would probably be a Glock 26. A small compact gun, but with the option of higher mag capacity.
    OldChap likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

My choice may not be perfect, but it is the best I've owned and worn for carry since the early 1970s. I have owned and carried revolvers and various styles and sizes of semiautomatics in .380 and 9mm until I took a chance on the 1911 in .45. I may have mentioned sometime in the past that it was as though the heavens opened and the angels sang when I ran my first magazine through that first 1911. I currently carry a steel Commander-sized, Bobtailed, rubber-gripped, .45ACP 1911-style pistol with night sights. Why? The feel in the hand is natural and it points as though it's an extension of my hand. I can hit my chosen target more than once because its recoil is easy to manage. With great belts and great holsters, it is still easy to carry concealed and easy to get to even though I've a cranky body that complains about what I did to it during my 38-year career as an Inside Wireman. I now have, among others, a Sig P938 and S&W Shield 9 of recent vintage, but I still default to my beloved Volkmann and one or two proven spare mags. I've handled several Glocks over the years, but never bought one. They just don't seem right to me.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

I'd probably say: Glock 23, for all the reasons you cite for the 27, except the grip is vastly better imho.

Either that, or the pocket 380 of one's choice, as probably the best type of gun that can actually go anywhere.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links