USMC To Adopt Modular Handgun System - Page 4

USMC To Adopt Modular Handgun System

This is a discussion on USMC To Adopt Modular Handgun System within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CajunSW5906 After reading your post about the 1911, I started thinking about the recent CMP 1911 program. From what I understand, in ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 79
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: USMC To Adopt Modular Handgun System

  1. #46
    VIP Member Array MMinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    charleston,sc
    Posts
    3,588
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunSW5906 View Post
    After reading your post about the 1911, I started thinking about the recent CMP 1911 program. From what I understand, in order to purchase one, you have to do all kind of silly pet tricks.
    No. The CMP is set up to safely sell surplus rifles directly to Americans through the mail. The 1911s add an FFL component but that's it. If you are of average intelligence, you can be at the post office in 30 minutes mailing in your application. Maybe they wrote things to make it sound hard in order to keep stupid people from buying guns but I think they just follow the laws. Trust me, the requirements are easy to meet and the CMP helps you. I would not have done it otherwise.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

  2. #47
    Ex Member
    Array 1942bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    2,103
    The Corps has committed t o purchase, but when the Corps makes such a commitment it is revocable if problems with a weapon system develop. The Corps has exceptionally good armorers who are known to tweet weapons and then adjust their purchase specs accordingly. The M1911 pistols currentlyin use by MarSoc and Foce Recon are totally refitted guns that incorporate mant civilian available adaptations and some custom adaptations. Maybe I an nuts, but thos old Marine would trust any weapon the Corps adopted, Know this, whe the M16 replaced the M14 the Corps resisters until it was finally ordered by Macnamara (Sec of defense) to adopt the M16. Early M16 experience proved the Corps correct. I trust the Corps to provide the best weapons it can to the grunts.

  3. #48
    JD
    JD is online now
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    20,799
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Makes sense for the British army to use a Glock. Have they ever fielded a decent domestic sidearm? I think it is because of the European mindset that handguns are just for aristocratic officers to use for shooting their own soldiers. Look at what they issued for WWI and WWII, fine for shooting a private that won't go over the wall but not what you would want in a trench fight.
    That sums up pretty much 80% of US Military use of pistols as well.... Staff and officers.

    The Brits fielded the Hi Power for many years which wasn't a "bad gun" they certainly could have done worse.

    The same beloved Corps you're waxing poetic about kept recycling bad AR mags for years until we had to resort to running them over with LAVs to get serviceable replacements.

    Granted, with current Commandant and SecDef, things have been getting turned around.




    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #49
    Member Array CajunSW5906's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    407

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    No. The CMP is set up to safely sell surplus rifles directly to Americans through the mail. The 1911s add an FFL component but that's it. If you are of average intelligence, you can be at the post office in 30 minutes mailing in your application. Maybe they wrote things to make it sound hard in order to keep stupid people from buying guns but I think they just follow the laws. Trust me, the requirements are easy to meet and the CMP helps you. I would not have done it otherwise.
    I don't deny what you're saying is true. And, myself, I haven't ever had the urge to buy an firearm this way. They are too rich for my blood. I have friends that have purchased such firearms from the CMP and I have heard more negative replies about the system than positive, from these people. That's why I made my response that way, off of their opinions. I should have been MORE specific!
    I sure hope you weren't implying I was one of these stupid people. I trust you were not.
    MMinSC likes this.
    The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!

  6. #50
    VIP Member Array MMinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    charleston,sc
    Posts
    3,588
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunSW5906 View Post
    I don't deny what you're saying is true. And, myself, I haven't ever had the urge to buy an firearm this way. They are too rich for my blood. I have friends that have purchased such firearms from the CMP and I have heard more negative replies about the system than positive, from these people. That's why I made my response that way, off of their opinions. I should have been MORE specific!
    I sure hope you weren't implying I was one of these stupid people. I trust you were not.
    No, not at all man. I should have wrote that better as it was not my intention for you to perceive it that way. I was mostly joking about the stupid people part anyway but also emphasizing how easy the process actually is. When I first read the requirements I thought it was too much hassle. A couple months later, I read a series of articles on The Firearms Blog, realized it was no big deal and had my order for a Garand ready in 30 minutes. The purchase rules are in place due to laws since a rifle is shipping directly to your house. The CMP pretty cleverly set it up so the law mandated hoops are easy to jump through.

    Like you, I will not be buying a 1911. For that kind of money I would rather choose the pistol myself. I think the Garands are a great deal.
    CajunSW5906 likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

  7. #51
    VIP Member Array G-man*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Posts
    17,474
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    That sums up pretty much 80% of US Military use of pistols as well.... Staff and officers.

    The Brits fielded the Hi Power for many years which wasn't a "bad gun" they certainly could have done worse.

    The same beloved Corps you're waxing poetic about kept recycling bad AR mags for years until we had to resort to running them over with LAVs to get serviceable replacements.

    Granted, with current Commandant and SecDef, things have been getting turned around.




    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Exactly. My last duty assignment was LAI, and the old Sanchez , and Cooper magazines were always screwed up. You could forget using them in a SAW. I still have Colt 20 and 30 round mags that I purchased to deploy with. I just chunked the issued ones in the bottom of the wall locker to turn in if I left the unit or EAS.
    10thmtn likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

    “ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

  8. #52
    Member Array CajunSW5906's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    407

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    No, not at all man. I should have wrote that better as it was not my intention for you to perceive it that way. I was mostly joking about the stupid people part anyway but also emphasizing how easy the process actually is. When I first read the requirements I thought it was too much hassle. A couple months later, I read a series of articles on The Firearms Blog, realized it was no big deal and had my order for a Garand ready in 30 minutes. The purchase rules are in place due to laws since a rifle is shipping directly to your house. The CMP pretty cleverly set it up so the law mandated hoops are easy to jump through.

    Like you, I will not be buying a 1911. For that kind of money I would rather choose the pistol myself. I think the Garands are a great deal.
    First of all, I hope you and your family are safe in SC. You sure have a doozey of a storm on top of you! I will continue Praying for y'all.
    I would love to own a Garand. I'm not going to say whom, but I know where one is, brought home from WWII. Can I get in trouble for stating that? I will say no more.
    Anyway, there was a range in Tampa, FL. that had 3 in stock, in which 2 could be rented. I rented one! Man, let me tell you, if I had more time with that rifle, I bet I could knock a flea off of a gnats rear end at 500 meters. I was in the ARMY Reserve for 8 years. I would have found it an honor, while I was in today's ARMY, if we were made to qualify with the Garand.
    What manufacturer is yours, and year, if you don't mind me asking? Maybe sneak a pic in?
    The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!

  9. #53
    Ex Member Array stingray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    What/when was the recall for the M17?
    There wasn't one.
    MMinSC likes this.

  10. #54
    Ex Member Array stingray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by blueronin View Post
    Roscoe: What are you smoking/drinking? A friend of mine in the 7th Special forces has been telling me all kinds of horror stories about the M17. From my understanding, it's been a complete failure. Improvement on the M9A1, my ass. Period. They should have stayed with the M9, Period.
    What's not to trust about third hand information.........

  11. #55
    Ex Member Array stingray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    134
    I've been an armorer of the P320 for more than 3 years now. I have quite a bit of experience with the gun. The naysayers are speaking from second-hand information.


    I remember when the Beretta was first adopted. People had nothing good to say about it either and yet it served the troops very well for decades. I don't see where the M17 will be any different. It sure seems to be starting out the same as the Beretta.......
    JD likes this.

  12. #56
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,983
    Quote Originally Posted by blueronin View Post
    Roscoe: What are you smoking/drinking? A friend of mine in the 7th Special forces has been telling me all kinds of horror stories about the M17. From my understanding, it's been a complete failure. Improvement on the M9A1, my ass. Period. They should have stayed with the M9, Period.
    Your buddy should go back to using a Glock then. Problem solved.

    Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    I've been an armorer of the P320 for more than 3 years now. I have quite a bit of experience with the gun. The naysayers are speaking from second-hand information.


    I remember when the Beretta was first adopted. People had nothing good to say about it either and yet it served the troops very well for decades. I don't see where the M17 will be any different. It sure seems to be starting out the same as the Beretta.......
    Who are you an armorer for?

    When the Berettas were first adopted by NSW, the slides came apart, which resulted in a change to the Sigs.
    stingray likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

  13. #57
    OD*
    OD* is offline
    Senior Moderator
    Array OD*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Staff lounge
    Posts
    21,249

    The truth about the M9

    wmhawth, graydude and 10thmtn like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

    "Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."




    NRA Patron Member

  14. #58
    Ex Member Array stingray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Your buddy should go back to using a Glock then. Problem solved.



    Who are you an armorer for?
    I am retired now but maintain my armorers cert for the P320 and the Glock.

  15. #59
    Distinguished Member
    Array Wavygravy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,388
    Stingray - Not trying to change the subject, but have to ask - what's your opinion on the P365?
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

  16. #60
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,983
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    I am retired now but maintain my armorers cert for the P320 and the Glock.
    But where you an Armorer somewhere that was in charge of guns that were being shot and used in the field as much as the SF guys use theirs?
    OD* likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •