Help me choose my first handgun - Page 4

Help me choose my first handgun

This is a discussion on Help me choose my first handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The XDs is a great pistol and you can holster with your hand off the grip safety for more safety assurance during holstering and carrying. ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: Help me choose my first handgun

The XDs is a great pistol and you can holster with your hand off the grip safety for more safety assurance during holstering and carrying. Plus you may be able to get the first Gen XDs at lower prices now that the Mod2.0 is out. I have a first gen (Mod1.0?) XDs in 9mm and it is my single stack for "slacks" carry since they are a bit tighter than my jeans and shorts (which I carry my G26 with). The grip height is higher than the G26 so I can hide the G26 better than the XDs because it is less liekly to hike my shirt up, but it is mostly negligible. My XDs is a great shooter and reliable. You can also get the same pistol in .45. I have shot a .45 XDs and the "spooned out" area of the grip that has a bit of a ridge under it was a little uncomfortable to my thumb while firing, but not a major issue.

I don't have any experience with an SR9, but have heard good things about them. I personally would feel just as safe with the XDs with a grip safety as I would carrying the SR9 with a thumb safety and I would feel better knowing that with an XDs I don't have to flip the safety off during my draw. But again, that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbertc13 View Post
    I mentioned in my intro that I was going for my CHL. I apologize if there is a ton of threads like this (search wonít work).

To start, Iíve never owned a firearm before. Iím looking for something chambered in 9mm. Iím a bigger guy, 5í8Ē and 250lbs. You get the idea. I shoot left handed, so something like a Ruger LC9 wonít work for me because of the slide stop and the mag eject button.

I was recommended a Glock 19 Gen 5 because I can flip the slide stop and mag eject to the right side of the grip. In looking at prices I saw that the firearm alone cost 599. Thatís too much for me (23 with more student loans than you can imagine). Iím looking for something reliable, but something that wonít break the bank. Budget wise Iíd like to spend roughly $600. I know I need the weapon, holster and some rounds.

Can someone who knows a lot more than me give me a sense of direction of a holster, a CCW and decent ammunition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The smartest thing you could do for a "first handgun" is start with a revolver. Become proficient with it and then move on to the semi auto of your choice from there.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

The two guns Iíve narrowed it down to is the XDs 9mm and the Ruger SR9C. Both have many safety features. Iím a big fan of the grip safety on the XD. The Rugers thumb safety is also appealing to me. I feel like I could draw from my holster and flick the safety all in one motion while qualifying my target. My FIL (not officially father in law) I believe has a Ruger SR9C and the XD can be rented at the range less than 1/4 mile from my place
    Both are good guns capable of being viable self defense tools.

Personally, I prefer a passive grip safety over something I have to manually flick off, which is why I generally don't carry a 1911 any more (not bashing it or 1911 carriers; it just doesn't work as well for me despite trying to train it to being an automatic motion). But if a thumb safety works for you, then it works.

Go shoot them, see which seems a better fit in the hand, then just get one and don't look back. Don't over think it. Shoot the heck out of whatever you get and become a really good and fast shot with it. 10-20k rounds later, after you've mastered it, is when to start contemplating how the minor differences among this class of gun and aftermarket parts may help you shoot slightly better.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    The XDs is a great pistol and you can holster with your hand off the grip safety for more safety assurance during holstering and carrying. Plus you may be able to get the first Gen XDs at lower prices now that the Mod2.0 is out. I have a first gen (Mod1.0?) XDs in 9mm and it is my single stack for "slacks" carry since they are a bit tighter than my jeans and shorts (which I carry my G26 with). The grip height is higher than the G26 so I can hide the G26 better than the XDs because it is less liekly to hike my shirt up, but it is mostly negligible. My XDs is a great shooter and reliable. You can also get the same pistol in .45. I have shot a .45 XDs and the "spooned out" area of the grip that has a bit of a ridge under it was a little uncomfortable to my thumb while firing, but not a major issue.

I don't have any experience with an SR9, but have heard good things about them. I personally would feel just as safe with the XDs with a grip safety as I would carrying the SR9 with a thumb safety and I would feel better knowing that with an XDs I don't have to flip the safety off during my draw. But again, that's just me.
    Good points, the grip safety definitely gives you a margin of safety that glock doesn't offer.

Iím not a fan of the XD, for various reasons. Among those are issues they have had with grip safety malfunctions.

Now, this may indeed be hyped, I donít know. But Iíd rather keep it simple without that extra moving part.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Iím not a fan of the XD, for various reasons. Among those are issues they have had with grip safety malfunctions.

Now, this may indeed be hyped, I donít know. But Iíd rather keep it simple without that extra moving part.
    I have over 4000 rounds through each of 6 XD's and XDM's without a single failure.

If someone is having a problem with a grip safety the problem is most likely in their grip or limp wristing it.

Between my brother and I we're closing in on 50,000rds through various XD's and XDM's with similar results.

They are as dependable as anything on the market.

The "extra part" provides a margin of safety when handling the guns that can and does save lives and injuries. For the same reason the 1611 has had the same feature for more than 100 years and that's the most battle proven handgun in history.

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    I have over 4000 rounds through each of 6 XD's and XDM's without a single failure.

If someone is having a problem with a grip safety the problem is most likely in their grip or limp wristing it.

Between my brother and I we're closing in on 50,000rds through various XD's and XDM's with similar results.

They are as dependable as anything on the market.

The "extra part" provides a margin of safety when handling the guns that can and does save lives and injuries. For the same reason the 1611 has had the same feature for more than 100 years and that's the most battle proven handgun in history.
    Thats why I said ď it may be hypedĒ.

However, there is merit to using a gun without extra functions that require it to be operational; whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

Just to keep it real here, many people have experienced a failure to fire with a 1911 due to improper grip during a hurried draw stroke, which, is precisely why the memory bump is incorporated on many 1911 grip safetyís as an ď upgradeĒ.

The facts are, that there are certain designs that allow for a higher percentage of human error in their use than others, which is not the fault of the gun itself, but allows more room for operator error in the heat of the moment.

As far as handling safety, once again, if it truly provides for a margin of safety in handling, it certainly can work in reverse against the user in making it fire when the balloon goes up and the juice kicks in.

Yes, training can help with this, but can not eliminate the potential for Mr Murphy.

IMO, the grip safety in and of itself on a handgun is a stupid idea.
    forester58 likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

One can find brand new M&Ps and Sig p320s for under $449. I really like my Glocks, but I'm also aware of other great pistols on the market. Good luck in your search.

The two guns Iíve narrowed it down to is the XDs 9mm and the Ruger SR9C. Both have many safety features. Iím a big fan of the grip safety on the XD. The Rugers thumb safety is also appealing to me. I feel like I could draw from my holster and flick the safety all in one motion while qualifying my target. My FIL (not officially father in law) I believe has a Ruger SR9C and the XD can be rented at the range less than 1/4 mile from my place
    XDs are ok, not a fan of grip safeties though. I shoot the Ruger better.
    I like the fact that I can carry with the short 10rd mag and carry a 17rd mag to give a full size grip as a spare.
    Donít like the mag safety? Easy to remove.
    I was so suprised at the out of the box trigger being so smooth and crisp. Actually gotten better after 6 years.
    I actually prefer it to the G17, my hand fits the SR9C better.

Everything is subjective, I know that works for me.
    Hope you find what works best for you.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

I started out with a revolver & still depend on one as my "nightstand" gun.
    Have several others now & bought & sold a bunch & threw a lot of money away.
    As others have suggested, go to a range where they rent them, try & decide for yourself, get an instructor.
    Better to learn the correct way from the beginning than to relearn the right way.
    Like golf.
    & listen to the pros in here that I am not.

Help me choose my first handgun

Well I didnít shoot the Ruger today, but it didnít feel good in my hand. Now to the XDs and the Shield, as well as the Glock 43/42 canít remember which one is a .380 and which is a 9

Glock 43/42 canít remember which one is a Glock 42 .380 and which is a Glock 43 9
    Gilbertc13 likes this.

Sorry to beat the horse some more, but it is important to your overall satisfaction with your weapon - get to a rental range and shoot some guns. Because it is such a personal and individual choice, that will tell you more than anything we can say.
    Gilbertc13 likes this.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    How bout a Hi Point?

looks to me you aren't looking for any advice, just want to start a discussion.

I was trying to be funny as hi point and Taurus from what I read could be considered in the same class

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links