External safety hatred - Page 8

External safety hatred

This is a discussion on External safety hatred within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iíve been shooting for many decades and back in the old days we were taught to leave the safety on until ready to shoot. With ...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree750Likes

Thread: External safety hatred

Iíve been shooting for many decades and back in the old days we were taught to leave the safety on until ready to shoot. With the exception of my revolvers every gun I own has a safety. At this point I donít have to think about manipulating the safety, it just happens. The first time I saw a Glock I asked where the safety was and my buddy pointed to a little bitty thing on the trigger. My initial reaction was hahahaha..no thanks, lol. I know lots of people are concerned with speed of presentation and thatís fine but my advantage will come from stealth and or surprise. Either way, be safe out there.

I had external safety hate until I got help.

Now after a lot of work, Iím able to keep it internal :)
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

I think it might have to do with the tendency of some millennials to need someone to tell them what to think.
    Sister, Tstone, OD* and 2 others like this.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Kennydale, that was the most impressive vid on gun torture I have ever seen. I doubt there is another handgun capable of equaling this. Now if the Glocks just had a safety-----. Oh well, never mind. I am not converted, but I am impressed. Thanks for sharing the vid with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeshoots View Post
    So i follow a large number of gun reviewers on youtube and full30.com and I don't get why everyone gripes about an external manual safety on a modern pistol? Everyone also seems to tout Glock Glock Glock and it is ridiculous. If Glock was so great how did Sig win the military contract? Well let's look at it they wanted a polymer modular pistol with an external safety. What did Glock offer a love child between a G17 & G19 with no chassis system for modularity and no external safety. Why did Sig win with a junk gun because it met all the checklist requirements. I look at Glock like I look at Harley Davidson they live in nostalgia and arrogance and now have to try to catch up with the competition. So why does everyone hate external safeties?
    Duty guns and guns carried for personal safety are two different worlds. There's nobody more anal about firearms than the US military and no commander wants their people carrying a handgun that doesn't have an external safety "just in case". The military automatically assumes everyone is operating at an 8th grade level or below.

If you are in a fight for your life it's going to unfold and be over in a matter of seconds and you don't want your life depending on whether or not you can remember and properly operate a safety 100% of the time under stress.
    Big Western likes this.

After a morning reading about politics until my blood pressure is about to hit 4 digits, I've enjoyed this thread. Only 3 questions from this revolver fan:

1 - What is an external safety?

2 - Who is "Glock"?

3 - Are his revolvers any good?

Just the break I needed from politics!

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    Duty guns and guns carried for personal safety are two different worlds. There's nobody more anal about firearms than the US military and no commander wants their people carrying a handgun that doesn't have an external safety "just in case". The military automatically assumes everyone is operating at an 8th grade level or below.

If you are in a fight for your life it's going to unfold and be over in a matter of seconds and you don't want your life depending on whether or not you can remember and properly operate a safety 100% of the time under stress.
    Maybe we should say "military duty guns" because a great many of us carry "duty guns" of one sort or another. If you go read up on the first night of the Tet offensive in Vietnam, you will see just how stupid the military can be. There were lots of Americans killed because Saigon was considered so safe that no one was allowed to have a "duty weapon" except a handful of military police and Marines on Embassy guard duty. Not only were they not allowed to have guns, the troops didn't even know where to go to get a gun. As a result, a great many more Americans died than should have. The American public should have demanded the heads of such incompetent commanders. It was another lesson in gun free zones - by those who should have known better.

And a tribute to a bunch of American soldiers who saved the day.
    MMinSC, Instymp, msgt/ret and 8 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Maybe we should say "military duty guns" because a great many of us carry "duty guns" of one sort or another. If you go read up on the first night of the Tet offensive in Vietnam, you will see just how stupid the military can be. There were lots of Americans killed because Saigon was considered so safe that no one was allowed to have a "duty weapon" except a handful of military police and Marines on Embassy guard duty. Not only were they not allowed to have guns, the troops didn't even know where to go to get a gun. As a result, a great many more Americans died than should have. The American public should have demanded the heads of such incompetent commanders. It was another lesson in gun free zones - by those who should have known better.

And a tribute to a bunch of American soldiers who saved the day.
    In my case, we was well armed and we got to shoot back.
    OldChap, msgt/ret, Pete63 and 4 others like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    In my case, we was well armed and we got to shoot back.
    Yup. I just finished reading about the Seawolves and the miracles they pulled off that night over Saigon. I apologize; i should have said, "a bunch of American soldiers, airmen, sailors, Marines and others who saved the day."
    msgt/ret, SatCong, Pete63 and 4 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Yup. I just finished reading about the Seawolves and the miracles they pulled off that night over Saigon. I apologize; i should have said, "a bunch of American soldiers, airmen, sailors, Marines and others who saved the day."
    As for me, I was north of Saigon in I-Corp, but we got hit hard that night. But they paid for it big time.
    Pete63, msgt/ret, OldChap and 5 others like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

No external safeties on my handguns used for defensive purposes. All are always chambered and holstered.
    G17 - Home Defense
    G26 - CCW
    P3AT - Pocket Carry
    OldChap and Sister like this.
    Glenn

FAS1 SAFE

For what itís worth the military requiring a safety on a pistol keeps the muscle memory between rifle and pistol consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OldChap likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    I don't hate a 1911/BHP style thumb safety. I like them. I'm so used to them I swipe off imaginary safetys. What I dislike is grip safetys. I grip so high on a pistol I have to pin them otherwise I wedge them on and the pistol won't fire. If someone would hinge them at the bottom instead of the top I'd be on board with that style so I could grip as high and hard as I can.
    Joe

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    I was at a Rooms to Go store, they sell furniture for those that don't have the chain store in their state, we had to put the salesman on hold so we could go to lunch, I'm diabetic, went to eat a block away from the store and when we came back there was like five Police cruisers, Fire rescue, yellow do not cross tape, all the works, we went home and my wife called the sales person, and she said that a man was walking out of the store with a kid, went to adjust his pants and BOOM, lucky for him there was an off duty cop coming into the store and put a tourniquet on his leg and dialed 911, there goes the no safety or no holster don't know what was the cause here, but some one had a negligent discharge, he could have shot the son/daughter walking along with him, been smaller and next to him..

Quote Originally Posted by Philly3458 View Post
    For what itís worth the military requiring a safety on a pistol keeps the muscle memory between rifle and pistol consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didnt have a safety on my pistol and never once had issues with it not being present on my pistol, or trying to decock my M4 like I would my pistol. Although I suppose experiences may vary.
    OldChap likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links