Walther PPQ pistol - Page 2

Walther PPQ pistol

This is a discussion on Walther PPQ pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just checked two of my PPQs and two of my Glocks (one 19 and one 43) on my Lyman trigger pull gauge. The Qs ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Walther PPQ pistol

I just checked two of my PPQs and two of my Glocks (one 19 and one 43) on my Lyman trigger pull gauge. The Qs average about .3 pounds lighter than the Glocks. That isn't a lot. There is a difference between light and smooth. PPQs are smooth.

Since the Qs are much smoother in firing and take-up so they feel somewhat lighter in my hands. But not a lot. Where I notice the difference between my several Glocks and my PPQs are that in dry fire mode the Glocks feel like a staple gun going off. They snap loudly and give a slight jerk to the front sight. In live fire it is not noticeable of course. But it would have to be there, just masked by the recoil. The PPQs are smooth with a longer take-up, but little snap and no jerk on dry firing. I use a very firm hold with all my handguns.

OP, my PPQs triggers are smooth but not too light for me either on the range or in carry mode. But, everyone is different and if it feels too light for you then definitely choose something else. At this time in the U.S. we are blessed with an abundance of fine handgun choices in single action, DA action and striker fired as well as revolvers. No gun or action type is best for everyone.

Also, if you like the superior ergonomics of the PPQ but are wary of the trigger look at the P99 which is almost the same in feel. I have one in compact and the AS trigger is wonderful for carry. I consider it
    Rockymonster and Chuck R. like this.
    NRA Life Member
    Marine Corps Veteran
    Vietnam Veteran

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Litespeed View Post
    I just checked two of my PPQs and two of my Glocks (one 19 and one 43) on my Lyman trigger pull gauge. The Qs average about .3 pounds lighter than the Glocks. That isn't a lot. There is a difference between light and smooth. PPQs are smooth.

Since the Qs are much smoother in firing and take-up so they feel somewhat lighter in my hands. But not a lot. Where I notice the difference between my several Glocks and my PPQs are that in dry fire mode the Glocks feel like a staple gun going off. They snap loudly and give a slight jerk to the front sight. In live fire it is not noticeable of course. But it would have to be there, just masked by the recoil. The PPQs are smooth with a longer take-up, but little snap and no jerk on dry firing. I use a very firm hold with all my handguns.

OP, my PPQs triggers are smooth but not too light for me either on the range or in carry mode. But, everyone is different and if it feels too light for you then definitely choose something else. At this time in the U.S. we are blessed with an abundance of fine handgun choices in single action, DA action and striker fired as well as revolvers. No gun or action type is best for everyone.

Also, if you like the superior ergonomics of the PPQ but are wary of the trigger look at the P99 which is almost the same in feel. I have one in compact and the AS trigger is wonderful for carry. I consider it
    Ditto......Well stated Litespeed!
    Litespeed likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Quote Originally Posted by Philly3458 View Post
    Anyone else find the trigger on this pistol too light for a defensive handgun? I am an experienced shooter and for the first time as an inadvertent double tap shooting at the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep, part of the reason why I sold it. If I was a competitor, it is an almost perfect trigger, but not so much for carry.
    ca survivor likes this.
    Beretta M9A3
    M&P9 2.0

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDKJudoka View Post
    Yep, part of the reason why I sold it. If I was a competitor, it is an almost perfect trigger, but not so much for carry.
    I respectfully disagree with your comment: “...not so much for carry.”

Different strokes.......
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

snoman97 Not meant to be condescending at all but simple truth . Not everyone has the skills needed for some trigger types . Some also think 1911's are to short reset and to lite also . Now maybe you have some problems !!

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    snoman97 Not meant to be condescending at all but simple truth . Not everyone has the skills needed for some trigger types . Some also think 1911's are to short reset and to lite also . Now maybe you have some problems !!
    No problems here. I run my stock Glock staple gun trigger pretty darn well. To me it has less to do with a skill level and more to do with an individuals preference in trigger feel.
    Rockymonster and Litespeed like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoMan97 View Post
    No problems here. I run my stock Glock staple gun trigger pretty darn well. To me it has less to do with a skill level and more to do with an individuals preference in trigger feel.
    “...staple gun trigger...”

LOL!

I agree about preference....
    SnoMan97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post

LOL!

I stole it from litespeed’s post. Pretty good description though. Although my Gen5 trigger is much improved.

Rockymonster likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Originally Posted by Rockymonster

LOL!

I stole it from litespeed’s post. Pretty good description though. Although my Gen5 trigger is much improved.

Yes, but you just went with it....good sport! My Springfields have a similar staple gun trigger, but I shoot them really well in spite of it.... Just glad we are fortunate to have so many choices.
    SnoMan97 and Litespeed like this.

well, never fired one, but, my EDC is a Bersa BP9CC, trigger is about 3 1/2 pounds with a 20mm initial pull, and a 2 mm reset. Is it lighter and shorter than that? Trigger preference is a personal thing. in my case it means no soft side holsters for this one, I want something solid covering the trigger. other than that, I don't have a problem with it for carry, others might, to each his own.
    Cornhusker95 and SnoMan97 like this.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by nightsonge View Post
    well, never fired one, but, my EDC is a Bersa BP9CC, trigger is about 3 1/2 pounds with a 20mm initial pull, and a 2 mm reset. Is it lighter and shorter than that? Trigger preference is a personal thing. in my case it means no soft side holsters for this one, I want something solid covering the trigger. other than that, I don't have a problem with it for carry, others might, to each his own.
    I was gonna mention the Bersa BP trigger...I agree it is a personal thing...I love my Kahr DAO triggers and some despise them.
    It is up to whoever carries any gun to do it safely and if someone feels a trigger is too light i would rather see them not carry that gun
    than hurt themselves or someone else. the same goes with external safeties.
    Rockymonster likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    I can carry a 1911 with no issues, carried a Glock 23 for many years, I had Chemo treatment for Cancer and after that the Glock trigger didn't feel right to me, so I started carrying SA/DA only HKs or Sigs or some kind of 1911, the striker trigger on the PPQ or VPs feels OK so go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoMan97 View Post

My comment about the Glock staple gun let off was not meant as a criticism of the brand. It was just meant as a fact. The Glock let off always reminds me of the sound my staple gun makes when putting up new targets on a target stand. I shoot the Glocks pretty well though in spite of that.

I like Glocks and am a 20+ year Glock fan who has owned several different models in four different calibers. I have some small dislikes about the brand as I do about other guns I own. You should hear me rant on the silly trough in the bottom of my VP9s trigger guards. In otherwise excellent guns why on earth did they design in something that rubs the trigger finger raw on a lot of their owners. Including me and every other person I've let shoot my VPs.

But, I love them anyway.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    NRA Life Member
    Marine Corps Veteran
    Vietnam Veteran

My comment about the Glock staple gun let off was not meant as a criticism of the brand. It was just meant as a fact. The Glock let off always reminds me of the sound my staple gun makes when putting up new targets on a target stand. I shoot the Glocks pretty well though in spite of that.

I like Glocks and am a 20+ year Glock fan who has owned several different models in four different calibers. I have some small dislikes about the brand as I do about other guns I own. You should hear me rant on the silly trough in the bottom of my VP9s trigger guards. In otherwise excellent guns why on earth did they design in something that rubs the trigger finger raw on a lot of their owners. Including me and every other person I've let shoot my VPs.

But, I love them anyway.
    I understand completely. I used your description because it really does fit.

Litespeed likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member

But, I love them anyway.
    I’ve owned several Glocks and cannot be critical of them or their owners....however....for me, there are other guns “I” shoot much better, so I moved on and sold my Glocks. I occasionally joke about “Blocks” but only in jest. They are “staple guns” as are my Springfield XDs.... my “family” owns Walthers, HKs, Springfields, and Sigs. We each have our favs, without ridicule! Although my nephew has a Glock and I punish the heck out of him!
    Cornhusker95 and Litespeed like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links