Need Advice For Compact CCW .45ACP - Page 4

Need Advice For Compact CCW .45ACP

This is a discussion on Need Advice For Compact CCW .45ACP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by forester58 One more option would be a Sig P250 45 compact. No longer made but, a very good hammer fired DAO with ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree159Likes

Thread: Need Advice For Compact CCW .45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    One more option would be a Sig P250 45 compact. No longer made but, a very good hammer fired DAO with a bobbed hammer that you can still thumb into the holster. Usually a few available on Gunbroker for well under $400. 9+1 with a 3.9" barrel.
    Attachment 283454
    Those suckers are light, safe, very accurate, reliable, versatile and durable. You can mix and match those slides to all those different grip modules and come up with countless combinations. The Sub Compact is very easy to CC. The Compact carries pretty easy too. DAO and external hammer....doesnít get much safer. As long as you can deal with DA triggers/shooting. BTW, itís got about the best DAO trigger I ever shot. And Iím an old S&W DA revolver shooter.

My Sub Compact .40

Need Advice For Compact CCW .45ACP-09db2108-44a0-4a29-a16d-b6999cf9da60.jpeg
    ďOut of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.Ē

― Heraclitus

One more option would be a Sig P250 45 compact. No longer made but, a very good hammer fired DAO with a bobbed hammer that you can still thumb into the holster. Usually a few available on Gunbroker for well under $400. 9+1 with a 3.9" barrel.
    Attachment 283454
    I think you may have stumped Goldilocks with this excellent suggestion. Since the criteria where:

I don't like any guns that exist
    I want a 45
    It can't be too heavy
    I live in California so I can't buy any guns that exist

You pretty much nailed it with what was available to actually purchase.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Attachment 283454
    As long as it's a gen2 p250, they're GTG.
    forester58 and Bigsteve113 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TimeExposure View Post
    I am considering carrying a compact size .45ACP during winter months. Specifically, Iím looking for a hammer-fired semi-automatic pistol that is not made by Kahr, and is not single action (not a 1911).

The only pistols that come to mind that fit my wants are the H&K USP Compact and the HK 45 Compact. Any other suggestions that are not striker-fired or 1911 platforms?
    You're right to stay away from 1911s if you're looking for a relatively inexpensive but reliable pistol, because 1911s require more maintenance due to their more complex design and higher parts count. I do 3-4 training classes a year and it's rare to see a 1911 pistol run a 500-700 round day without having stoppages.

You can't go wrong with the H&Ks, and you should also look at the Sigs mentioned by others in this thread.

Here's why I personally won't buy a Springfield firearm(Gun Politics)
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...y-springfield/
    Last edited by Big Western; November 1st, 2018 at 03:47 PM. Reason: changed a word, and removed erroneous info about a Beretta model
    sparkyfender likes this.

You answered your own question in post #1. Just get either or both the HKs you mentioned.I carried a HK USP Compact .45 as a LEO years ago and regret selling it to this day.
    sparkyfender likes this.
    "Freedom will be defended" -GWB 9-11-01
    Union Plumber/Pipefitter.Retired.
    Former LEO 1993-2003.

Sig P245
    Big Western and sparkyfender like this.
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Quote Originally Posted by Big Western View Post
    . If you can find a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact in 45acp (discontinued in .45), you might want to research that, too.
    The PX4 Compact was never offered in .45ACP, only 9mm and .40S&W.
    Big Western likes this.
    M&P 2.0 Compact w/ 4.25" slide
    M&P Shield 9mm
    S&W 6906

Quote Originally Posted by Big Western View Post
    You're right to stay away from 1911s if you're looking for a fairly inexpensive but reliable pistol, because 1911s require more maintenance due to their more complex design and higher parts count. I do 3-4 training classes a year and it's rare to see a 1911 pistol run a 500-700 round day without having stoppages.

You can't go wrong with the H&Ks, and you should also look at the Sigs mentioned by others in this thread. If you can find a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact in 45acp (discontinued in .45), you might want to research that, too.

Here's why I personally won't buy a Springfield firearm(Gun Politics)
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...y-springfield/
    Iíd be curious to know what sort of 1911ís those are and what sort of shooters, I.e. are they none stock Springfieldís with new shooters? When Iíve seen people in classes having issues with 1911s itís almost always shooters who rarely shoot or donít know their guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by simonp67 View Post
    Iíd be curious to know what sort of 1911ís those are and what sort of shooters, I.e. are they none stock Springfieldís with new shooters? When Iíve seen people in classes having issues with 1911s itís almost always shooters who rarely shoot or donít know their guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Intermediate and Advanced classes/shooters with solid fundamentals where they're expected to be competent with the pistols they run. Various brands to include many of the major 1911 makers and a few of the small ones. It's just a result of the more complex design and higher parts count.

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Attachment 283454
    I thought of the P250 as well since I have the full sized version but remember the OP is in California and they have an approved list and anything not on the list is verboten.

I found a California Approved list but I'm not totally positive it's the official one and I couldn't find any Sig P250's on that list. Would have been a fine solution IMO.
    Joe

Attachment 283490
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Advice For Compact CCW .45ACP-t45rdtp_thunder45ultracompact-reverseduotone_7_left.jpg  

A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Love my S&W M&P 45c.---Sturgis
    Mike1956 likes this.
    S&W 340 M&P .357
    S&W 640 and S&W 64 .38 Spl
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightsonge View Post
    Had one for a while. The "pre-Pro" version (superseded by this one). Mine was a lot of trouble, alas.

Had it right in the original post. HK makes firearms that you can safely trust with your life.

I'd explore the option of using the Light LEM trigger, a variation available from HK so it isn't a custom modification. This gives you a "long-ish" initial pull with a reasonably short, crisp reset. A very smooth, roughly 4.5-5# trigger pull. Very predictable. Plus you can still maintain the option of the external safety lever. My HK's all do not retain that lever. One safety: the trigger. Keep your finger off it if you don't want it to go "bang." You also have the movement of the trigger moving the hammer too. In the event that the holster snags the trigger, with your thumb on the hammer, you can feel it moving too, a warning to hold up before anything bad happens.

The regular LEM is an 8# pull. By changing two springs, about $15 in parts, that goes to 4.5-5#. Some HK's are offered in both versions, different part numbers. Only way to tell the difference is with a trigger pull gauge.

Part No.745037‐A5, UPC 642230248861 ó HK45 Compact (V7) LEM DAO, with two 8rd mags ó MSRP $819
    Part No. 745037LE‐A5, UPC 642230249547 ó HK45 Compact (V7) LEM DAO, with three 8rd mags with night sights ó MSRP $919 (but who pays retail, right?)

Did Raven Arms or Lorcin make a .45acp?!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links