Favorite 40 S&W Pistol - Page 4

Favorite 40 S&W Pistol

This is a discussion on Favorite 40 S&W Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm experimenting with this one. It's a Glock 20. I bought an inexpensive SF frame, and with careful use of a Dremel, cut the grip ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree186Likes

Thread: Favorite 40 S&W Pistol

I'm experimenting with this one. It's a Glock 20. I bought an inexpensive SF frame, and with careful use of a Dremel, cut the grip down to Glock 29 size. It is pretty snappy with the shorter grip and full bore 10mm ammo, even with the pinky-extender-thing I added to the magazines, so I added a Lone Wolf 40 S&W conversion barrel.

Shooting 40 S&W ammo (even higher velocity ammo like Speer's 165 grain Gold Dot) out of this is like shooting 38 Specials out of a 357 mag. It's much easier to shoot rapidly and accurately than a Glock 23 or 27. It is still pretty wide (which I think helps with the felt recoil), but with the shorter grip it is very concealable in an IWB holster.

It's as reliable as the sunrise, and surprisingly accurate. With a quick change of the frame I can always go back to 10mm when/if I feel the need. So far, so good.

Favorite 40 S&W Pistol-g29l.jpg

I've had many pistols chambered in the .40S&W cartridge and still have quite a few. My two favorites in this caliber are my gen3 Glock 23 and my M&P 40c. I have two gen3 Glock 23's but it's the one I bought in 2007 that I really like. I also have a gen4 in this caliber. Of course, these Glocks have received my usual mods to their triggers and sights. And that M&P 40c has the Apex Tactical DCAEK installed but with the stock OEM trigger spring instead of the Apex spring.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Iíve had four different 40 cal pistols and this is the only one left. 47.5 oz loaded is a lot to carry, which I do at times, but it spends most itís time with a light attached for home duty.

I shoot this one more accurately than any that I own, and I havenít even Cajunized it yet.

Iíve read that 40 is not as accurate as this or that, well those folks never met the SP01 Tactical.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jejb View Post
    I've had several .40's. Still own a couple of them. My favorite is my Browning Hi Power Practical. Very accurate, easy recoil and it has never skipped a beat. Doubt I'll ever part with that gun.
    You would be a fool to. However, if you suddenly become demented, I'll gladly take it off your hands.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    I've had many pistols chambered in the .40S&W cartridge and still have quite a few. My two favorites in this caliber are my gen3 Glock 23 and my M&P 40c. I have two gen3 Glock 23's but it's the one I bought in 2007 that I really like. I also have a gen4 in this caliber. Of course, these Glocks have received my usual mods to their triggers and sights. And that M&P 40c has the Apex Tactical DCAEK installed but with the stock OEM trigger spring instead of the Apex spring.
    Hey, @SouthernBoyVA ! Would you mind sayin' howcome ??? Thanks in advance.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    You would be a fool to. However, if you suddenly become demented, I'll gladly take it off your hands.
    #metoo !
    Tundra5.7 and flintlock62 like this.

The only 40 that I've ever shot is my M&P 2.0 compact. I loved the 9mm one so much I got one in 40. I almost like shooting the 40 more than the 9.
    Tundra5.7 and sparkyfender like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    I'm experimenting with this one. It's a Glock 20. I bought an inexpensive SF frame, and with careful use of a Dremel, cut the grip down to Glock 29 size. It is pretty snappy with the shorter grip and full bore 10mm ammo, even with the pinky-extender-thing I added to the magazines, so I added a Lone Wolf 40 S&W conversion barrel.

Shooting 40 S&W ammo (even higher velocity ammo like Speer's 165 grain Gold Dot) out of this is like shooting 38 Specials out of a 357 mag. It's much easier to shoot rapidly and accurately than a Glock 23 or 27. It is still pretty wide (which I think helps with the felt recoil), but with the shorter grip it is very concealable in an IWB holster.

It's as reliable as the sunrise, and surprisingly accurate. With a quick change of the frame I can always go back to 10mm when/if I feel the need. So far, so good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G29L.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	284112
    Nice job on that grip reduction, @Tennessee Jed !

Nice shootin', too !
    Tundra5.7 likes this.

G22 gen2

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    Hey, @SouthernBoyVA ! Would you mind sayin' howcome ??? Thanks in advance.
    Certainly.

The trigger spring that comes with the Apex Tactical DCAEK brings the trigger pull weight in at around 6.5 pounds. For me, that's too heavy since my other primary carry guns all come in right around 5 pounds (one is slight less than that and a couple slightly over). By using the factory OEM trigger spring with the Apex kit, you will get your pull weight much closer to that 5 pound figure.

My M&P 9c had a terrible trigger when I bought it. It measured* in at 9 pounds 5 ounces. I also installed the Apex Tactical DCAEK in that gun, with the OEM spring of course, and the trigger pull weight came down just over 4 pounds to 5 pounds 6 ounces.

* All trigger weights were measured using a Lyman digital gauge.
    Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; November 14th, 2018 at 10:31 PM.
    bmcgilvray and Tundra5.7 like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

My fav, and only, is a Kahr PM40. I'm generally not a fan of the 10mm kurz but I couldn't find a 10mm that hid in my pocket. Truth be told, though, if I had it all to do over I would have bought all my just for fun range guns in 10 short instead of 9.
    Tundra5.7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    Nice job on that grip reduction, @Tennessee Jed !

Nice shootin', too !
    Thanks. It took a while to drum up the courage. Standing at my work bench, with the Dremel whizzing in my hand, I kept hearing the quote, "Give a man a Dremel and a gun and he will very soon have a very expensive pile of shavings."

Senior Moderator
    I have a .40 Smith & Wesson Shield. Am a bit indifferent about it.

Love the cartridge which seems really useful and more relevant as an alternative to the .45 ACP than the 9mm in my view.

I think my favorite .40 S&W handguns would be either the original Smith & Wesson Model 4006 or the Browning High-Power .40 if I had either of those fine pistols.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My favorite .40 is my Glock 23. It fits my hand perfectly and is accurate and fun to shoot! I carry my G27 more often because it is lighter, smaller and easier to conceal.
    Tundra5.7 likes this.
    "Fiel pero desdichado"
    Loyal but unfortunate.

family Motto of Winston Churchill

4" Springfield XD. Was my first pistol and still one of my favorites. Fits my hand just right and I like the trigger.

As a lefty, I just wish they would make them with a right side, side release. One of the reasons I bought my P320.
    Tundra5.7 and sparkyfender like this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links