Laser or no laser? - Page 2

Laser or no laser?

This is a discussion on Laser or no laser? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by steig For $20, I would get the laser. if you don't like it, take it off. For $20 bucks, it most likely ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Laser or no laser?

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    For $20, I would get the laser. if you don't like it, take it off.
    For $20 bucks, it most likely not a top of the line laser.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Only one I ever tried was one that came with a Sig P290rs that was button activated. I tried it for a while and decided it was not for me. That said I am now seriously considering a CT grip activated laser on my carry 642. Just seems a natural combo on a j frame that I rarely practice using the sights anyway except for some longer distance practice just for fun.
    I think in a low light or even dark where the threat can be identified that could be very useful. Plus my eyes are not getting any younger.
    It would be point shooting with an assist.
    OldChap and Old Man like this.

I was a big proponent of Crimson Trace lasers, and had them on ALL my carry guns. Took a low light pistol class with one on my LCP, and had the best scores in the class, even though every other student was running a duty-sized gun.

I had ArmaLaser and Lasermax in the past, and found the CT method of simply activating by gripping the gun normally to be the best.

However...I found that, over time while carrying, the laser would lose zero. I was able to replicate this issue on all of my lasers, by simply tapping the laser housing with my finger a few dozen times...and not all that hard, either. Extended range sessions would do the same thing - it took me a while to realize it, as I would shoot different brands of ammo and attributed the differences in POI/POA to the different ammo brands.

So, if you are going to run a laser, you MUST check your zero every day. I know that I wouldn't do that, so the lasers all went bye-bye.

Lasers do offer some advantages, as noted in this thread. However, they do require some training, and ongoing maintenance. You have to decide for yourself if they're worth it.
    Stay calm and listen to SKA!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I was a big proponent of Crimson Trace lasers, and had them on ALL my carry guns. Took a low light pistol class with one on my LCP, and had the best scores in the class, even though every other student was running a duty-sized gun.

I had ArmaLaser and Lasermax in the past, and found the CT method of simply activating by gripping the gun normally to be the best.

However...I found that, over time while carrying, the laser would lose zero. I was able to replicate this issue on all of my lasers, by simply tapping the laser housing with my finger a few dozen times...and not all that hard, either. Extended range sessions would do the same thing - it took me a while to realize it, as I would shoot different brands of ammo and attributed the differences in POI/POA to the different ammo brands.

So, if you are going to run a laser, you MUST check your zero every day. I know that I wouldn't do that, so the lasers all went bye-bye.

Lasers do offer some advantages, as noted in this thread. However, they do require some training, and ongoing maintenance. You have to decide for yourself if they're worth it.
    That is good to know, Thanks.
    10thmtn, 1942bull and OldChap like this.

Never really saw any real need for them outside of tactical team operations.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

VIP Member
    OldChap likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

I have lasers on my P290RS and LCR. I tried to like them, but I have given up. No more for me. I took a class, "Advanced Low Light" and I thought the laser would give me an edge. It was more trouble than it was worth. The problems I had were:
    • There is a tendency to "chase the dot," slowing down your shooting without an increase in accuracy.
    • I shot better point shooting with no sights than with the laser. I shot best using the night sights with the laser off.
    • Even one shot indoors creates gunsmoke that makes the laser look like a light-saber. Very distracting. You don't usually see it at the range because the lights are up and exhaust fans are running. Turn those off and it's a whole other ballgame.
    • I thought I had it zero'ed but the zero was bad for the class. Also, the battery ran out halfway through the class and I had recently put in a new one. Like someone said, Murphy doesn't favor devices like that.

For low light, I want a click-on-click-off handheld flashlight and a tritium night front sight. If I wanted more, I'd go with a gun mounted light in addition to the handheld and perhaps a red dot sight.
    forester58, OldChap and G-man* like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I like my Crimson Trace. With my cataracts, I can't really see the tritium night sights. I can see the red dot, and it gets me on target much faster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laser or no laser?-2018-11-17-09_1542681008413.20.03.jpg  

OldChap and Old Man like this.

I should have mentioned that one of the cardinal rules I've found is to not use the laser for every time I shoot. The tendency is to "chase the little red dot" and that is not a good thing. If I have good light, I use sights. Unless I'm in one of the special situations where the laser does what nothing else can do.

In my one time use, I only turned the laser on when I realized the actor was not paying any attention to me. In fact, at one point I had taken all the slack out of the G21 just before I decided to turn the laser on. The guy had about another 3 or 4 steps before I would have fired when he stopped.

Those of you with the CT laser grips. Do you leave the little switch on all the time? Or do you turn if off when not in use? It is a real problem turning that tiny switch on with it being on the underside of the grips on an LCR. Those CT LaserGrips had the tiny switch, and also the grip switch to actually turn the laser on when you gripped it.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

My cats love em.

Name:  875C2063-D73E-425C-A93A-FD50C105D35B.gif
Views: 106
Size:  1.01 MB
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

None of my carry guns have a laser. I have a Taurus Judge with 3" chambers and a 3" barrel with Crimson Trace grips. It sets on my nightstand at night loaded with 3" Winchester PDX1 .410 shotgun shells.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I should have mentioned that one of the cardinal rules I've found is to not use the laser for every time I shoot. The tendency is to "chase the little red dot" and that is not a good thing. If I have good light, I use sights. Unless I'm in one of the special situations where the laser does what nothing else can do.

In my one time use, I only turned the laser on when I realized the actor was not paying any attention to me. In fact, at one point I had taken all the slack out of the G21 just before I decided to turn the laser on. The guy had about another 3 or 4 steps before I would have fired when he stopped.

Those of you with the CT laser grips. Do you leave the little switch on all the time? Or do you turn if off when not in use? It is a real problem turning that tiny switch on with it being on the underside of the grips on an LCR. Those CT LaserGrips had the tiny switch, and also the grip switch to actually turn the laser on when you gripped it.
    I have CT lasergrips on one of my duty guns and most of my carry guns. I leave the power switch ON. Except when practicing. Then I purposely use irons only for a while. Then practice a bit with the Laser.
    Old Man and OldChap like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member
    I have never had a laser on a CCW firearm. I have fired handguns with them attached. If I were going to use one I believe it would be one that is activated by the grip, such as some of the ones by Crimson Trace.

My wife has the Crimson Trace LG-405 laser sight on her S&W 642. She leaves the switch on continuously. I believe that it slows her down shooting, but I can't argue with her accuracy with the little J frame.
    OldChap likes this.

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Most people I know who have lasers spend too much time trying to get a perfect shot when practicing rather than getting a quick and accurate sight picture and firing. Since people tend to do as they train...I would stay away from lasers for most people.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    I use lasers as a training aid, but not EDC.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links