1911 Help!!!

1911 Help!!!

This is a discussion on 1911 Help!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had 1911ís in the past, it has been a while since I have had one. I currently have Glocks and a Ruger LCP ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: 1911 Help!!!

1911 Help!!!

I have had 1911ís in the past, it has been a while since I have had one. I currently have Glocks and a Ruger LCP for pocket carry which is carried as primary most of the time. I can not seem to find a comfortable IWB holster so I am willing to try OWB carry.

I would like a Commander or Government in 9mm so any suggestions around $1,000 or less would help. Reliability and weight are the main considerations.

I would like to know how people carry their 1911 CCW, holster type (IWB or OWB), suggested brands and where they wear them on the waists.
    5lima30ret likes this.

My wife has a Ruger lightweight commander in 9mm, its her favorite pistol.
    I carry a full size 1911 in Fist kydex adjustable cant holster about 3:00 IWB
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

The Ruger SR-1911 Commander in 9MM is a good choice in your price range, MRSP is listed as $979 but quite often you can find them in the $750-$800. I normally carry IWB in a Wild Billís Concealment Covert Carry at the 3 oíclock position.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I carry a government model 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm @ 3:00 with a spare magazine @ 9:00 OWB in a leather pancake style holster. I also pocket carry a Sig P938 9mm with a spare magazine.

1911 Help!!!-holsters-1024x768-2017_01_22-17_26_42-utc-.jpg

Colt, Springfield, and Ruger are good options for new or used in your price range.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I use a Springfield Armory EMP 9mm it rides in a versacarry commander holster, and it is the most comfortable rig Iíve ever worn in the 30+ years Iíve carried.

You can find EMPs for around $1000.00 the holsters are on sale right now....1911 Help!!!-56331397296__aa934205-0619-444e-b2c8-f0b06786b88d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with the Ruger or Springfield suggestions, but personally, if I were looking for a 9mm 1911 for carry and had a $1000 budget, there are probably only three choices I'd be seriously considering - the O4842XE LW Colt Commander:

Name:  LW Colt Commander.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  28.8 KB

...or the Dan Wesson Vigil, either Commander:

Name:  Vigil Commander.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  24.1 KB

or CCO style:

Name:  Vigil CCO.jpg
Size:  33.0 KB

I have a strong weakness for Colts, DW's, and the CCO form-factor! YMMV
    Cuda66, PJH, PAcanis and 4 others like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    When not carrying a revolver, I carry a Para Expert Commander and Browning Hi Power (not a 1911, but uses the same holster) almost always AIWB in a inexpensive Bladetech Phantom holster. They don't make the Phantom anymore, but you can find old stock on ebay. They call it the Nano now and charge 3x as much as they did for the Phantom...

I really fancy my Kimber CDP, Springfield and Colt are both making good pistols as well. A minor thought, the 45 is actually an ounce or two lighter than the 9mm. Both cartridges work.

I would avoid the Taurus offerings in 1911. I have seen too many issues.

But IMO. this is the perfect choice for about 1K, and it comes with ALL the bells and whistles pre installed.
    https://www.kimberamerica.com/pro-cdp-ii
    Last edited by viney266; December 16th, 2018 at 06:09 PM.
    Old Man likes this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I have three Rock Island`s all in .45ACP. No issues,the Compact is my EDC. They Rock!.
    Chief1297, 5lima30ret and Old Man like this.

PJH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    ...or the Dan Wesson Vigil, either Commander or CCO style...
    I'll second the suggestion for the DW Vigil (which is also available in Government size), with the caveat that I have not handled one yet.
    My EDC is a DW Guardian in .45. DW is known for very high build quality and the lightweight frame and slightly rounded butt of the Vigil should make it a winner for a carry 1911, especially at it's price point. A full size Vigil in .45 is on my short list for the next gun I'll buy.

As for holsters, I carry IWB at 4:30 - 5:00 in either a Stealth by James Nelson or a Milt Sparks SS2.
    Kilowatt3 and Old Man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    My wife has a Ruger lightweight commander in 9mm, its her favorite pistol.
    I carry a full size 1911 in Fist kydex adjustable cant holster about 3:00 IWB
    I have the Ruger lightweight commander, but in a 45.

NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

The Pro CDP is definitely a sweet shooter. And no firing pin block. It's only downside is the limited recoil spring life before Kimber suggests replacing. Most guys replace with Wilson flat springs, but they still don't have the life of the other options mentioned.
    I wish I knew what it was with Kimber and their recoil spring life, but I've never shot any of mine enough to find out.

I replaced my CDP's ambi thumb safety with a single shelf safety. Ordered it from Kimber to match that finish they use.
    I couldn't believe the new safety slid in for a perfect fit without having to pair it with the sear. Blew my mind. I think that says something about Kimber's tolerances if they can send you a drop in thumb safety that doesn't need fit.
    viney266 and Old Man like this.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

My .45 before the Kimber was a Star PD. I may have the last stash of recoil buffers on the planet :). They were said to be done every 500 rounds, so I did mine at 300. The same thing with the 3" spring assemblies, they aren't terribly expensive. Mine is a 4" gun and I have not replaced it.
    PJH and Old Man like this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

One thing I would suggest, is look at the prices in store locally, or go do your research online for pricing. I personally would prefer to support local stores, so one thing you can do is go to Davidson's gun genie, search for the gun you are looking for with your zip. Your local stores will usually be listed in there with an internet price. They still get the profit from that, and you still save some extra dough that can be put towards a holster or a couple boxes of ammo. Although I now have to go look at that Colt LW Commander, thanks to @Kilowatt3 .
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Nothing wrong with the Ruger or Springfield suggestions, but personally, if I were looking for a 9mm 1911 for carry and had a $1000 budget, there are probably only three choices I'd be seriously considering - the O4842XE LW Colt Commander:

Name:  LW Colt Commander.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  28.8 KB

...or the Dan Wesson Vigil, either Commander:

Name:  Vigil Commander.jpg
Size:  24.1 KB

or CCO style:

Name:  Vigil CCO.jpg
Size:  33.0 KB

I have a strong weakness for Colts, DW's, and the CCO form-factor! YMMV
    +1. Very well said, and I completely agree.
    Kilowatt3, PhaedrusIV and Old Man like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links