buying a 1911 mostly range use and maybe competition but could carry on ocassion - Page 4

buying a 1911 mostly range use and maybe competition but could carry on ocassion

This is a discussion on buying a 1911 mostly range use and maybe competition but could carry on ocassion within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PJH No, you're correct. What I meant is that the classic JMB design is a 5" steel-frame gun in .45 ACP. There ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: buying a 1911 mostly range use and maybe competition but could carry on ocassion

Quote Originally Posted by PJH View Post
    No, you're correct. What I meant is that the classic JMB design is a 5" steel-frame gun in .45 ACP.

There are PLENTY of aftermarket parts for Commander-sized guns. One thing you may want to keep in mind though is that many aftermarket 1911 parts are not going to be "drop in", even if they are marketed that way. For example, aftermarket safeties will typically require some fitting.
    I have heard that about the drop in parts.. I also understand your point about the 5 inch and all steel 45 that why I have not made my decision. I understand JMB created a reliable gun and some of the issues with reliability are due to variations. I understand that is why some don't like the shorter versions. and I also get that going with the classic as the first has advantages.. that being said the commander is cool commander, CCO maybe I dont know. I am a bit concerned about recoil with the lighter weight 45. I would like an all steel commander or CCO. maybe.. still thinking.
    "To disarm the people...is the most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams
    NRA Member, CCW Safe

PJH
    One of the best - and worst - things about being a 1911 fan is that there are so many variations available. It makes it easy to find the right gun once you know what you're looking for, but it makes it very hard to decide exactly what that is.

I think that is part of the reason that so many of us end up with more than one. I'm eagerly awaiting the FedEx guy's arrival at my FFL tomorrow with my latest: an impulse purchase on another forum which will be my first CCO.
    msgt/ret likes this.

PJH
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthygun View Post
    I understand JMB created a reliable gun and some of the issues with reliability are due to variations. I understand that is why some don't like the shorter versions. and I also get that going with the classic as the first has advantages.. that being said the commander is cool commander, CCO maybe I dont know. I am a bit concerned about recoil with the lighter weight 45. I would like an all steel commander or CCO. maybe.. still thinking.
    Most of the reliability issues I've heard of have been with guns with sub-4-inch barrels. Assuming you're buying a quality gun - anything from any of the manufacturers you've mentioned, most likely - a 4.25" barrel should be pretty reliable.

Some people love Kimbers. IMHO, they are overpriced for what they are, and don't hold their value well if you decide to resell them. I'd prefer to spend my money on a Colt, Springfield, Ruger, or Dan Wesson.
    msgt/ret and stealthygun like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PJH View Post
    One of the best - and worst - things about being a 1911 fan is that there are so many variations available. It makes it easy to find the right gun once you know what you're looking for, but it makes it very hard to decide exactly what that is.

I think that is part of the reason that so many of us end up with more than one. I'm eagerly awaiting the FedEx guy's arrival at my FFL tomorrow with my latest: an impulse purchase on another forum which will be my first CCO.
    I have never heard a statement as true as that. apart from biblical wisdom.
    PJH likes this.
    "To disarm the people...is the most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams
    NRA Member, CCW Safe

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    One thing to note about 1911s is choosing the right ammo can make a big difference.
    One thing to note about 1911s is choosing the right 1911 can make a big difference. *fixed*

Colts and Les Baer pistols eat everything I've put in them. Can't say the same for the another manufacturer I've owned. Out of five pistols over the years, only one from that manufacturer ate anything and everything, but it's frame cracked at around ~6000 round count. Not a cheap brand either, well at least not in price.
    OD* likes this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    My understanding is that the commander with the 4.25 and full size frame is still a spec gun with the exception of slide.
    That's not exactly correct, the frame rails and "dust cover" are shorter on the Commander, and the barrel bed is narrower.

buying a 1911 mostly range use and maybe competition but could carry on ocassion-frame_nomenclature.jpg
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    That's not exactly correct, the frame rails and "dust cover" are shorter on the Commander, and the barrel bed is narrower.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame_nomenclature.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	286164

Thanks for posting that pic OD*. I didn't know the terminologies of all the points in the frame.
    stealthygun and OD* like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tstone View Post
    Thanks for posting that pic OD*. I didn't know the terminologies of all the points in the frame.
    I wish I could take credit for the meme, but you're quite welcome sir.

Those are the most common terminology, not necessarily technically correct.
    Tstone, SatCong and WC145 like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    Dan Wesson and dont look back
    JustinTime and stealthygun like this.
    Lifetime NRA Member,collector,reloader.

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    With my big ole mits I want a a 1911 with a beavertail so I don't get hammer bit. However I grip 1911's so high I have to pin every beavertail on every 1911 that I have. What can I say? They have to go bang every time. It's just the way it is.

I also like an oversize thumb safety and won't turn down a nice ambi but it's not necessary. I want good, big sights, and night sights are a bonus. I know it's not a specific recommendation but they're on my list of gotta/wanta haves.

A small magwell is a plus too for me, but I don't want one that extends the grip length too much. My ole Gold Cup has a very minimalist plastic Rogers magwell that is no longer available AFAIK. If you can find one that doesn't extend the grip length it's a great plus.

I know I've not recommended a single pistol but I hope you understand which features I like and why I like them.
    stealthygun likes this.
    Joe

PJH
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Thanks for correcting me; I was just thinking about the slide/barrel and the grip length.
    OD* likes this.

I have owned S&W and Kimber 1911s in the past. They were good reliable guns, but I traded them on Colts every chance I got.

All of my 1911s are five-inch government size. I have found the smaller the gun, the more potential issues I have.

I currently own five Colts in .45 ACP, two Colt Delta Elites in 10mm, a Dan Wesson SS Valor .45 ACP, a Springfield Armory TRP Operator 10mm, and a Rock Island double-stack .22 TCM/9mm.
    SatCong, PJH, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
    With my big ole mits I want a a 1911 with a beavertail so I don't get hammer bit. However I grip 1911's so high I have to pin every beavertail on every 1911 that I have. What can I say? They have to go bang every time. It's just the way it is.

I also like an oversize thumb safety and won't turn down a nice ambi but it's not necessary. I want good, big sights, and night sights are a bonus. I know it's not a specific recommendation but they're on my list of gotta/wanta haves.

A small magwell is a plus too for me, but I don't want one that extends the grip length too much. My ole Gold Cup has a very minimalist plastic Rogers magwell that is no longer available AFAIK. If you can find one that doesn't extend the grip length it's a great plus.

I know I've not recommended a single pistol but I hope you understand which features I like and why I like them.
    I also like oversized thumb safety, I agree ambi is good but not a must, I would also rather have the swept up beavertail, I will probably put my own sights on
    NRA Member, CCW Safe

So if I were to go full size would you go for Springfield RO or Colt competition? guess both are quality
    NRA Member, CCW Safe

So if I were to go full size would you go for Springfield RO or Colt competition? guess both are quality
    I've owned both and they're solid guns but I prefer the Colt. When I bought my Competition I took it out of the box, lubed it, fired one mag through it then took it to an Action Pistol match and won single stack with it. It's very accurate, has a really good trigger, and has run 100%. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for carry, home defense, whatever. It would certainly make a good 1911 to start on, and would serve you well right out of the box while you learn what you like and don't like about the platform. I have a habit of changing stuff on my guns to get them the way I want and have several custom 1911s, in spite of that I've found that the Competition really doesn't need much, it's a nicely put together package at a reasonable price.

buying a 1911 mostly range use and maybe competition but could carry on ocassion-20180925_144856.jpg
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links