buying a 1911 mostly range use and maybe competition but could carry on ocassion - Page 5

buying a 1911 mostly range use and maybe competition but could carry on ocassion

This is a discussion on buying a 1911 mostly range use and maybe competition but could carry on ocassion within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WC145 I've owned both and they're solid guns but I prefer the Colt. When I bought my Competition I took it out ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: buying a 1911 mostly range use and maybe competition but could carry on ocassion

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I've owned both and they're solid guns but I prefer the Colt. When I bought my Competition I took it out of the box, lubed it, fired one mag through it then took it to an Action Pistol match and won single stack with it. It's very accurate, has a really good trigger, and has run 100%. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for carry, home defense, whatever. It would certainly make a good 1911 to start on, and would serve you well right out of the box while you learn what you like and don't like about the platform. I have a habit of changing stuff on my guns to get them the way I want and have several custom 1911s, in spite of that I've found that the Competition really doesn't need much, it's a nicely put together package at a reasonable price.

Attachment 286208
    its a beauty... I am leaning that way.. is the thumb safety long enough for easy activation? not too stiff or is that just something that loosens over time?
    "To disarm the people...is the most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams
    NRA Member, CCW Safe

Quote Originally Posted by stealthygun View Post
    its a beauty... I am leaning that way.. is the thumb safety long enough for easy activation? not too stiff or is that just something that loosens over time?
    It comes with an extended thumb safety, it's comfortable and too long or too wide. The one on my gun snicks on and off positively with what I consider an appropriate amount of effort, which nice since a lot of Colt thumb safeties have been kind of mushy in the last couple of years.

buying a 1911 mostly range use and maybe competition but could carry on ocassion-20180925_145010.jpg
    PhaedrusIV and OD* like this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by stealthygun View Post
    So if I were to go full size would you go for Springfield RO or Colt competition? guess both are quality
    Colt competition without a doubt. The Colt has better parts in it as a whole. Colt uses mim for three parts. Conversely, Springfield and Kimber use mim for just about every small part in the gun.

I currently have a competition model Colt, It is everything WC145 said it is. To put it another way, I just got the Competition model the other day, I could have gotten a RO instead, but I want the gun with higher quality components.
    WC145, stealthygun and OD* like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Beautiful Colt WC145
    WC145 and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinTime View Post
    Colt competition without a doubt. The Colt has better parts in it as a whole. Colt uses mim for three parts. Conversely, Springfield and Kimber use mim for just about every small part in the gun.

I currently have a competition model Colt, It is everything WC145 said it is. To put it another way, I just got the Competition model the other day, I could have gotten a RO instead, but I want the gun with higher quality components.
    I agree with you 100% on component quality. I didn't bring it up because I didn't want to bring another potentially confusing issue into the discussion.

That said I think Springfield's MIM parts are very good, I've never heard of anyone having problems with them.
    JustinTime, stealthygun and OD* like this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I agree with you 100% on component quality. I didn't bring it up because I didn't want to bring another potentially confusing issue into the discussion.

That said I think Springfield's MIM parts are very good, I've never heard of anyone having problems with them.
    I agree, you don't really hear about issues with Springfield's mim. I dont wish to derail the conversation either. I only brought it up to show how I come to my conclusions. If I'm choosing between two guns, I know I want the one with better parts in it. I certainly hope someone would inform me of such, so I try to do that for others.
    WC145 and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinTime View Post

thats good info.. I would definitely go for the Colt then.. I would like to put my hands on one first though. it seems that some are tighter than others.. mybe the next gunshow will afford me that luxury
    "To disarm the people...is the most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams
    NRA Member, CCW Safe

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PJH View Post
    Thanks for correcting me; I was just thinking about the slide/barrel and the grip length.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Will be going to this Kimber in .45 ACP, when money allows.

If too much recoil.. there are spring kits and other mods.
    msgt/ret and stealthygun like this.
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love: 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    Will be going to this Kimber in .45 ACP, when money allows.

If too much recoil.. there are spring kits and other mods.
    Nice choice, I saw a used one in the gunshop today, just like that.
    NRA Member, CCW Safe

Let us know how she operates, range report would be nice.
    OD* likes this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Sponsored Links