New Year 2019 - out with the old, in with the newish...

This is a discussion on New Year 2019 - out with the old, in with the newish... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went out into the Superstitions with the son-in-law today. He has a S&W SD9 that he's learning to shoot, and just yesterday took the AZ ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: New Year 2019 - out with the old, in with the newish...

Senior Moderator

Went out into the Superstitions with the son-in-law today. He has a S&W SD9 that he's learning to shoot, and just yesterday took the AZ CCW course. He's been bitten by the shooting bug so I'm happy to enable that and pass along what knowledge I can to make his learning happen more quickly than mine did.

I brought along an assortment of sidearms for him to sample, including the CZ75, the 9mm 1911, a Glock 23 plus the compact Kahr CW9 I've been toting for nearly a decade and then the Shield .45 I picked up 18 months ago. My own agenda for the day was primarily to evaluate a dozen 9mm loads (different bullet styles and weights) I'm looking at for the action games, but also to get more rounds through the Shield. I had put in an Apex trigger kit a few months ago, and although I've run a few rounds through the gun since then, I wasn't comfortable carrying the gun until I knew it digested what I fed it and that all the mags worked OK.

The happy news is that the Shield performed above my expectations. I knew it ran 230 gr ball ammo just fine, but today's exercise included my reloads in 185 gr and 200 gr SWC flavors, as well as 200 gr RN. A favorite parlor trick of mine, I also loaded a mag with 4 empty cases (not resized - these were just fired, retrieved off the deck) and yanked on the slide 4 times. The gun chambered each case without a hitch. I finished up with a half-dozen mags of 185 gr Remington Golden Saber, which also failed to faze the gun.

Just as with the 9mm Shield I bought a year before this one, the gun shoots like a laser. I'm not at all fond of how skinny the gun feels in my hand, and I'll reiterate my lack of fondness for "tupperware" guns, but this thing just shot where I aimed. Pictures would have been useful, but with weather moving in and the temp falling, photography was neglected. My targets were 2" circles, squares and diamonds at 7 to 11 yards, and deliberate but aimed shots at faster than 1 shot per second stayed inside the black. Hammering a half-dozen rounds at twice that rate, I was able to keep half the shots in the black and the others didn't stray far, most going maybe an inch lower.

Just for comparison, I pulled out the CW9 holstered on my hip and ran a similar drill. With Federal +P HST ammo, groups were larger than with the .45 Shield but more significantly were hitting a good 3 inches below point of aim. Not terrible for a close-range gun, but clearly taking a back seat to the Shield.

Based on today's exercise, the CW9 is being pulled out of service and relegated to the safe after a decade of faithful service. 2019 will begin with the .45 Shield stepping into that role.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Good write up! The Shield in 45 ACP is a good one.
    OldChap likes this.

My 45 Shield makes me question why I have other pistols. I really have to concentrate to do better with my Sig 220. The recoil is slightly more than the 220, but not much.
    And it is almost as ugly as a Glock.

Way to enable the young one, keep up the good work.
    Old Man, OldChap, JAG45 and 3 others like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

A good way to ring in the new year! Happy shooting.
    OldChap likes this.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

Sponsor
    The shield 45 is probably going to be one of those guns I'll never part with. There's so few on that list, but it's joined the 640-1; g17; 1911 as keepers. Mine has no more felt recoil in my hands than a 45 ounce [ loaded ] gov 1911. 15 ounces lighter, and only one less round.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Happy new Year!

Couple things I'm confused about...You're not fond of "tupperware" guns, yet you've carried a CW9 for a decade? And are replacing it with a Shield?

You've toted the CW9 for that long, yet never noticed the discrepancy between POA/POI at such short range, until yesterday?

Could it be that, after shooting the .45, you were shooting the 9mm low because you were anticipating more recoil? Or did you recently change your carry ammo?

Just seems odd that you could be that far off at such a short range, and never notice before?

Anyway, enjoy the new pistola.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Good for you taking him shooting. I have been tempted by the Shield 45 because I like 45 acp but, I am not a fan of striker fired and plastic. Don't get me wrong I think they are efficient and reliable guns just don't really care to shoot them to stay proficient. I have an HK 9mm that is a fantastic self defense tool but, alas, it will probably get sold to finance another wheelgun.
    I started off the new year by going old school and carrying a 3" 44 special revolver today. Balance is just superb for shooting and carrying which I have never had with any self loader due to all that weight in the butt.
    A 240 grain chunk of lead moseying along at 870 doesn't seem like a very tactical load in today's world and I know all about"risking my life with 5 rounds" but, its what I like. Seems the older I get the less I care about keeping up with anything or anybody including the modern citizen warriors.
    I have worn the finish clean off in spots on my 642 in under a year if that tells you how hard I run the little bugger.

Happy new year!!!
    Lefty_Red and gasmitty like this.

Shield 45 is a fine pistol and has been my preferred edc for quite some time now. I have not yet experienced any issues with this pistol, it just works and works well. The only thing I have done is add Talon Grips.
    Hope it works for you as well as it has for me.
    Old Man and OldChap like this.

VIP Member
    Glad to hear the good report on the shield, gasmitty, and happy new year to you as well. I am quite impressed by the .45 shield; I don't think I have heard of it not performing well from anyone. I suppose I will stay with my Kahr P45, at least for now, but one of these days I think I owe the Shield a look see. Great job on getting the son-in-law up and coming in the sport and life style, too!
    OldChap and Old Man like this.
    So who is this Will that everybody fires at, what did he do, and how come he's not dead yet??

It is amazing how every now and then a gun comes along that makes us wonder where it has been all our lives. I am not easily impressed with .45 autoloaders, or revolvers (S&W 25). I had a Clark full competition 1911 for those of you who remember him. That made me a bit jaded.

Along came the Shield 45 and just like you, I am impressed. It carries and conceals very easily, but more importantly, it just plain shoots. The more I shoot it, the more impressed I become. I was mildly impressed after getting the rebate check which brought mine to the grand total of right at $250 including FFL fee. Today, I wouldn't trade it for anything. It has earned a spot on my belt the hard way; by doing anything and everything I ask of it. I'm impressed.
    Last edited by OldChap; January 1st, 2019 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Stupid keyboard
    gwalker, Struckat, AzQkr and 2 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Distinguished Member
    @gasmitty Sounds like you had a great outing with the son-in-law. You were where I am at with my Shield .45 ACP. I've had it since June 2017 and to date have not carried it for SD. If I would spend a few days concentrating on it I believe it would join my daily carry firearms. So far it digests everything I have fed it. I agree with you in thinking I prefer it over my single stack 9mm pistols as it has a better feel in my hand with the slightly wider and longer grip profile. I have an IWB kydex and a Nelson Stealth holster waiting to accept it. Perhaps I will make this a New Year's resolution to put some more ammo downrange with it and move it up in the line up.

Let us know your impressions after carrying it for a few weeks.
    OldChap, gwalker and AzQkr like this.

Happy New Year! A shield in 45 ACP is one of the handguns on my want list. Maybe in 2019.
    OldChap likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    Happy New Year! A shield in 45 ACP is one of the handguns on my want list. Maybe in 2019.
    Mine too.
    OldChap likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Distinguished Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar
    Have i mentioned how much i like my Kahrs?...LOL

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Happy new Year!

Couple things I'm confused about...You're not fond of "tupperware" guns, yet you've carried a CW9 for a decade? And are replacing it with a Shield?

You've toted the CW9 for that long, yet never noticed the discrepancy between POA/POI at such short range, until yesterday?

Could it be that, after shooting the .45, you were shooting the 9mm low because you were anticipating more recoil? Or did you recently change your carry ammo?

Just seems odd that you could be that far off at such a short range, and never notice before?

Anyway, enjoy the new pistola.
    Happy New Year!

I said I wasn't fond of "tupperware," didn't say they don't have a place in the lineup. Just like I really prefer a 4" K-frame revolver to a 5-shot snub, but one of those is a frequent companion.

As for the low hits, in all likelihood I was pushing the shots. My carry ammo has always shot maybe an inch lower than the practice fodder I use - known that for years and never was concerned by it for the intended use of the gun. I was indeed surprised by the substantially lower hits yesterday but in all likelihood it resulted from the operator rushing the shots.

The Kahr and now the Shield fill the role of a compact, lightweight gun that I can slip on with a paddle holster for either around the house use or short trips out where I perceive the risk to be minimal. Otherwise, I'm putting on a 1911 with a heavier belt and holster which takes a few minutes. A tradeoff between convenience and risk.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links