P365 Returned from Sig...My Observations - Page 2

P365 Returned from Sig...My Observations

This is a discussion on P365 Returned from Sig...My Observations within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't own a 365, so I cannot comment about that, but I can tell you of my experience with a S&W Bodyguard 380 that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: P365 Returned from Sig...My Observations

I don't own a 365, so I cannot comment about that, but I can tell you of my experience with a S&W Bodyguard 380 that was given to me by my daughter. She had taken it to the range several times - each time the gun came apart and she had to ask the range master to help her put it back together. I never saw this, and didn't even try to reproduce the failure after she told me I could have it, or she was going to just toss it in the junk box. I just got on the phone with S&W and sent it back to them. It was there for three weeks when I got a call from them. They said they had given up on repairing it and were instead shipping me a brand new gun.

Mrs. OC and I beat the stuffing out of that little gun. We put close to 1000 rounds through it without a single failure. It shot so well Mrs. OC decided to appropriate it for herself as her backup. I was heartbroken, but I felt secure enough to let her trust her life to it's protection. Each gun has to earn that level of trust. When you have problems and send it to the factory or gunsmith, start over and see if the gun will work to that end. I've always had good luck doing that.
    OldVet likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Make sure you take some of the same ammo that gave you the failures to fire the first time...I know it's not 100 percent scientific but if it fires that ammo again....that would build some confidence.

Let us know how it runs.

Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    Make sure you take some of the same ammo that gave you the failures to fire the first time...I know it's not 100 percent scientific but if it fires that ammo again....that would build some confidence.

Let us know how it runs.
    UMC gave me the most trouble, followed by Fiochi and Federal. I am buying a box of UMC, as much as it pains me, tomorrow to give it another shot.

I’m hoping for the best..I’d hate to feel the need to get a 43X haha!
    "A man who fears will suffer twice..."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Let us know how she runs!

Quote Originally Posted by gitaryzt1985 View Post
    UMC gave me the most trouble, followed by Fiochi and Federal. I am buying a box of UMC, as much as it pains me, tomorrow to give it another shot.

Over the years UMC has given me far more trouble than all other brands of ammunition put together. I have no idea why but in 9mm and .45 ACP it just doesn't like me or any of my handguns. Oddly enough the much maligned WWB has been good in many thousands of rounds of 9s and 45s through more than two dozen different guns. I can only remember two WWB rounds that had bad primers and didn't fire.

I quite buying UMC a few years ago regardless of the attractive price is sometimes is listed for. An experience of one perhaps.
    Struckat likes this.
    NRA Life Member
    Marine Corps Veteran
    Vietnam Veteran

Waist of time about problems and possible corrections so go shoot it . Grab a few brand of quality ammo go shoot it ! It ether works well or does not .

Quote Originally Posted by Litespeed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gitaryzt1985 View Post

Over the years UMC has given me far more trouble than all other brands of ammunition put together. I have no idea why but in 9mm and .45 ACP it just doesn't like me or any of my handguns. Oddly enough the much maligned WWB has been good in many thousands of rounds of 9s and 45s through more than two dozen different guns. I can only remember two WWB rounds that had bad primers and didn't fire.

I quite buying UMC a few years ago regardless of the attractive price is sometimes is listed for. An experience of one perhaps.
    This is one concern of mine. I’ve heard UMC is known for bad primers, so I almost don’t want to try this ammo again. If I get a light strike tomorrow with UMC I might place blame on the P365 when it in fact could be the ammo.

Then it comes into play that Sig must have found something wrong with my gun to have replaced so many parts. I just feel that maybe I’ll have more confidence in the gun if I shoot the ammo I normally purchase and not UMC just because I had issues with the one last box of it I had laying around.
    Lefty_Red and Tundra5.7 like this.

Do not judge the operation of any handgun based on how it works with UMC ammo. That’s like using pro mags and saying your new gun doesn’t work.

On the other hand, none of my issues with UMC have been light strikes. I have not encountered a “Hard primer” as far as I know.

There are guns that will eat anything you feed them. But that doesn’t matter to me. What matters is that it will feed my chosen defense rounds and a practice round that mimics the performance of the defense ammo. Once I started handloading, I have had no issues. But I also know what works and what doesn’t for each gun I have and tailor the ammo accordingly.

I no longer buy much factory ammo, so I ant recommend a brand, but I do know that cheap is cheap for a reason.
    Litespeed and hardluk1 like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I've shot probly 1000 rounds of 38 SPL UMC with no issues with the primers, even with very light revolver trigger springs. The only brand that has given me primer issues is Buffalo Bore.

I would definitely shoot it and ops test, even if I planned to sell. I wouldn't want to sell a broken gun.

That said, there's no way I would trust it - I never trust any semi. They all suffer from a jam failure to extract at some point. The question is "when" not "if". That's why you should train for misfires... and that's why I tend to carry revolvers.

I also suggest you test it with your carry ammo, especially if it is hotter ammo. I've fired several hundred rounds of Federal 9BPLE +P+ 9mm, and have yet to have a single malfunction in any of the guns I have run it thru. That's probly what I would carry in that P365 if I had one. From what I have read, the 9BPLE is actually just +P but is at the top edge of acceptable pressure so Federal marks it as +P+. I'm starting to think semis are more reliable when the ammo is a bit too hot for the gun; I think the extra power guarantees the slide will fully cycle and the process of stripping the new round from the mag will have the timing and power to correctly cycle.

Good luck!
    MMinSC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post

I also suggest you test it with your carry ammo, especially if it is hotter ammo. I've fired several hundred rounds of Federal 9BPLE +P+ 9mm, and have yet to have a single malfunction in any of the guns I have run it thru. That's probly what I would carry in that P365 if I had one. From what I have read, the 9BPLE is actually just +P but is at the top edge of acceptable pressure so Federal marks it as +P+. I'm starting to think semis are more reliable when the ammo is a bit too hot for the gun; I think the extra power guarantees the slide will fully cycle and the process of stripping the new round from the mag will have the timing and power to correctly cycle.

Good luck!
    I think that makes sense with the smaller pistols. They have such short slides that the cycle time is quicker so the recoil spring needs to be a little stronger, plus the heavier recoil springs make those little guns easier to shoot. So I could see how they might not do well with the weak cheap ammo. I have never tested this theory, but I expect the cheap stuff is also much less consistent in regards to the powder levels. Consistency in the charge weight is one of things you get when you pay extra for match grade ammo. Consistency takes time and time takes money so I would be willing to bet there is some degree of variation in the cheap stuff. Lower powered ammo gives a good degree of safety to be less consistent and crank that stuff out faster.

If I had the time, I pull some bullets from some of my WWB and weigh the charges, just out of curiosity.
    drmordo likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Did you get the P365 out and shoot it?
    MMinSC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    Did you get the P365 out and shoot it?
    I did! Very happy to say I had great results!

I shot 200 rounds through it this morning with my brother. I thought it would be good to have two shooters with two gripping techniques. I put 100 rds of Federal, 50 rounds of UMC, 35 rounds of Fiocchi, 10 rounds of steel cased (can’t remember brand right now) and 5 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense. It ate it all. No issues at all. This was his first time with a 365 and he wants one now.

Best of all, the primer drag is much less pronounced and actually is pretty close to the look of the drag on my 43. Very pleased. Drag on it before I sent it to Sig was a deep gouge all the way to the casing from center.

We tore up this poor guy!!! We put the target out a decent ways which accounts for the sporadic placement at times.

I have about 90% confidence in this gun now. It just didn’t feel like the same gun. Previously, I couldn’t get through 50 rounds without a failure to fire.

Oh, and kudos to Sig. I told them that I didn’t like the wear on the barrel after my first 200rds, but this barrel still looks new!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P365 Returned from Sig...My Observations-10f9720a-84a4-4485-9196-a030174823fa_1546743381856.jpeg  

P365 Returned from Sig...My Observations-f2ec1e59-2c63-4d34-8df3-e8d6d2d854c2_1546743441566.jpeg  

P365 Returned from Sig...My Observations-3f9d8096-7ec1-4ae5-b803-c31dc4af89cf_1546743471151.jpeg  

Cool! Good shooting too! Glad things seem like they have worked out.

When you said wear on the barrel, did you mean the smileys?

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Cool! Good shooting too! Glad things seem like they have worked out.

When you said wear on the barrel, did you mean the smileys?
    Thanks!

No, I kind of figure that’s normal. Take look at these pics from before. I was concerned with the way the entire barrel wore in places. Especially around the stamped text. New barrel still looks new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P365 Returned from Sig...My Observations-79e10113-2c00-46dd-81cd-5fd4f87d5730_1546744326059.jpeg  

P365 Returned from Sig...My Observations-f0f016e6-9b96-418b-a5e6-de5bef1a9915_1546744383719.jpeg  

Yeah, that does seem too much. Glad Sig took care of you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links