Considering A Sig 1911 C3 aluminum frame: but I have some questions.

This is a discussion on Considering A Sig 1911 C3 aluminum frame: but I have some questions. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that Sig departed from the Mil spec 1911 a bit, mainly in the extractor but the size is also advertised as a bit ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Kilowatt3
  • 2 Post By Melvin
  • 2 Post By Melvin

Thread: Considering A Sig 1911 C3 aluminum frame: but I have some questions.

I know that Sig departed from the Mil spec 1911 a bit, mainly in the extractor but the size is also advertised as a bit different than ofer CCO models from other manufactures.. Commander barrel normally is 4.25 they advertise 4.2 and the frame height is stated at 4.8 and many other manufacturers compacts seem to be 5.0 or 5.1 although Kimber is 4.75 I think.. So I am a bit concerned with part interchangeability, but I am also concerned with Aluminum frame and feed ramp. I would like a little more weight as this will mainly be a range gun but the Colt commander also in my thoughts is a little too bare bones for the money. so help with any of these questions would be great.

1) the C3 is stainless commander slide and officer grip. Are there any problems with Aluminum Frame 1911s?
    2) Is the Aluminum ramp built in to the frame or can it be changed out if damaged?
    2) Would Wilson combat 7rd compact mags fit exactly?
    3) Would Wilson low profile magwell fit?
    4) Are the three dot sights it comes with Dove tail or Novak? concerned about interchangeability
    5) I assume I could trade out their thumb safety for a extended one if needed?

thanks in advance
    "To disarm the people...is the most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams
    NRA Member, CCW Safe

Quote Originally Posted by stealthygun View Post
    I know that Sig departed from the Mil spec 1911 a bit, mainly in the extractor but the size is also advertised as a bit different than ofer CCO models from other manufactures.. Commander barrel normally is 4.25 they advertise 4.2 and the frame height is stated at 4.8 and many other manufacturers compacts seem to be 5.0 or 5.1 although Kimber is 4.75 I think.. So I am a bit concerned with part interchangeability, but I am also concerned with Aluminum frame and feed ramp. I would like a little more weight as this will mainly be a range gun but the Colt commander also in my thoughts is a little too bare bones for the money. so help with any of these questions would be great.

1) the C3 is stainless commander slide and officer grip. Are there any problems with Aluminum Frame 1911s?
    Yes and there are no problems with the alloy frame.
    2) Is the Aluminum ramp built in to the frame or can it be changed out if damaged?
    Yes the ramp is part of the frame. In theory, the rounds do not "Ride Up" the ramp, but load near the chamber.
    2) Would Wilson combat 7rd compact mags fit exactly?
    ????You mean flush?? No Wilson Combat 7 round magazines extend maybe 1/4" or so.
    3) Would Wilson low profile magwell fit?
    No idea.......
    4) Are the three dot sights it comes with Dove tail or Novak? concerned about interchangeability
    Novak
    5) I assume I could trade out their thumb safety for a extended one if needed?
    Yes

thanks in advance
    Where in Virginia are you? I'll show you my C3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Considering A Sig 1911 C3 aluminum frame: but I have some questions.-img_0595.jpg  

Considering A Sig 1911 C3 aluminum frame: but I have some questions.-img_0594.jpg  

U.S. Army Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
    Where in Virginia are you? I'll show you my C3.
    I think I saw this on Arms list, am I right.. Hampton Roads. part of me wanted to drive down, I am in NOVA.. It look like you have an earlier model.. what yr..? I was think of buying new.
    "To disarm the people...is the most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams
    NRA Member, CCW Safe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    The C3 is a great little 1911. Nice looking, too! Allow me to add a clarification to your 2nd Question #2, and @Melvin 's answer...

The plastic base plate on a WC Compact 7-rd mag does protrude slightly below the pistol grip. I'm finding this ONLY on the WC mags. I have Officers' - size 7-rd mags from Colt, Dan Wesson, Sig, and Check-mate, and they all fit flush. So, only a concern if you absolutely have your heart set on Wilson mags.

Enjoy!
    stealthygun likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by stealthygun View Post
    I think I saw this on Arms list, am I right.. Hampton Roads. part of me wanted to drive down, I am in NOVA.. It look like you have an earlier model.. what yr..? I was think of buying new.
    Mine is a 2017 build date as on the box and I purchased last year.
    I just purchased the Springfield Armory Range Officer Compact and that is now my new CCW.....
    I like the C3, but the SA is just the new shinny toy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Considering A Sig 1911 C3 aluminum frame: but I have some questions.-20190104_205557.jpg  

stealthygun and Coltfan1 like this.
    U.S. Army Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    The C3 is a great little 1911. Nice looking, too! Allow me to add a clarification to your 2nd Question #2, and @Melvin 's answer...

The plastic base plate on a WC Compact 7-rd mag does protrude slightly below the pistol grip. I'm finding this ONLY on the WC mags. I have Officers' - size 7-rd mags from Colt, Dan Wesson, Sig, and Check-mate, and they all fit flush. So, only a concern if you absolutely have your heart set on Wilson mags.

Enjoy!
    I am being advised that it is best to go with a plastic follower with an aluminum frame to reduce the potential from scratching the ramp and that the WC mags are reliable.. that is my concern.. I have heard chip McCormick is also good.
    NRA Member, CCW Safe

Here is my SA with the SAME grip as the C3. Inserted is the 7 round Wilson Combat magazine. I also have the 6 round Wilson Combat magazine and it is the exact length. The only difference are the followers. The 7 round follower is curved down and the 6 round follower is curved up.
    I also have the 7 round Tripp Research Officer size magazines which are the same length as standard flush fitting Government/Commander but different floor plates so it doesn't over insert.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Considering A Sig 1911 C3 aluminum frame: but I have some questions.-20190113_192355.jpg  

stealthygun and Coltfan1 like this.
    U.S. Army Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post

Enjoy!

I will also probably put a magwell on it as well so that probably wont matter.. when I asked about flush fit I just want them to be the correct size for this gun.
    NRA Member, CCW Safe

I don't how compatible parts are between sig c3 is outside of the slide design but the minor differences in height between colt Kimber Wilson and DW are nothing but how some one takes a measurement . Some measure to sights , some don't .

MY wife carrys a kimber alloy framed stainless ultra 9mm and use's Wilson 9 round etm mags and carrys extended 10 round mags for back up . I carry a alloy framed lw colt commander # 04840wc and also use Wilson mags and extended for back up , I like the shorter officers frame for a 9mm pistol like my wifes with 9+1 carry but for a 45acp then I'll carry a full size grip every time for the extra round or 2 with 9 round mags and have no issues concealing it in a Comp-Tac MTAC at 3:00 carried high on my side . I find not reason to be concerned about mag followers being metal or plastic is they do not contact the frame at all and a alloy frame will be good for at least 25,000 rounds . Move to steel and your now carry a true lard butt of a handgun . For carry I will not add a mag well to a carry gun as all it does as add width that hurts concealment . Matter of fact I run thin grips to skinny it up and change trigger if needed for a length of pull for my hand . You do not want flush fit mags that does not work with flush fit mag . Extended mag release can be pressed in the holster so think about that too .

I have a C3 completely stock that has about 2500 rds through it with no malfunctions in recent memory. I use Chip McCormick and OEM magazines interchangeably all with an extension. You may be overthinking this. My C3 has a great trigger and the mags work just great. Go with it....you will likely love it.
    100% of home invasions occur......in someone's home.....usually without warning.

Sponsored Links