I'm Getting It: Glocks are Excellent Handguns

This is a discussion on I'm Getting It: Glocks are Excellent Handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own no striker-fired handguns. I do love the Chief Special for sentimental reasons. At my core, I'm a 1911-A1 dude. I consider the 1911-A1 ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree531Likes

Thread: I'm Getting It: Glocks are Excellent Handguns

I own no striker-fired handguns. I do love the Chief Special for sentimental reasons. At my core, I'm a 1911-A1 dude. I consider the 1911-A1 to be the absolute best self-defense handgun to ever grace Earth, although its original intent was an offensive battle weapon.

Last Friday I accompanied a friend with whom I used to work to our former employer's range. She had to renew her retirement credential. It's a two-pronged process: weapon inspection and qualification. She has a Glock 19 & 3 CA law enforcement magazines. She had never fired it. She had never fired a Glock. For those of you residing in free states, CA law enforcement magazines are standard capacity. The armorer was a retired cop from an allied agency. It was obvious that he loved Glocks. He has thorough knowledge of all common law enforcement weapons including automatic weapons. He was impressed with her Glock 19. His retirement handgun was a Glock. Her Glock 19 breezed past weapon inspection. The retired-cop/armorer took time to explain to me why Glocks are superior handguns for law enforcement use. They're as close to 100% reliable as any gun.

I proudly showed by new Springfield Armory EMP 3 9MM to the same armorer. He seemed indifferent about it. He didn't say a word about it one way or the other. However, he did make sure that I knew that the agency from which I'm retired issues Glock 22 to its cops. The agency from which I'm retired routinely torture tests every weapon/device that is used for officer survival.

My friend had never fired her Glock 19. She had never fired a Glock handgun. I had anticipated a long afternoon. She told the sworn law enforcement officer who was assigned to the range that she had never fired her Glock and might need help/instruction. Minimum qualification score is 80%. He politely told her to get to putting rounds on a silhouette. She did. He stood close by, but he never helped or instructed her. I was amazed that she qualified with her up-to-then unfired Glock 19 on her first attempt. She fired a few dozen more rounds for Glock 19 familiarity purposes, whereupon she smiled at me and proudly said, "I'm done."

Her Glock 19 was one amazingly accurate handgun. I was so impressed that I darn near walked to the adjacent range store & bought a Glock.

Glocks are the real deal. They're the most used law enforcement handgun in the Western world. I saw first-hand why. All I have to do is purge my striker fired aversion, and then commence to joining the fraternal order of Glocksters.

I still love my EMP 3 & have no intention of selling it. I do intend to augment it with a lightweight, single-stack Glock 9MM.

I'm working on striker-fired purge ;-)
    G26Raven, AzQkr, kerberos and 9 others like this.

Glocks are good........don't care much for the arched mainspring housing on the A1.....OMO.

VIP Member
    I thought you checked-out.
    Pete63, OD*, Militant and 2 others like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Government model 1911s are great!

Single-action revolvers are great!

Double-action revolvers are great!

Glocks are OK if you want capacity.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I rather doubt it was considered for use as an "offensive" weapon.

"OK, men, grab your .45s and we'll take that hill."
    10thmtn, JAG45, OldVet and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    What are the particulars on the qualification course you described? Number of rounds, target area, distances, etc.
    PhaedrusIV, AzQkr, Pete63 and 1 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Be careful what you put out there. The Universe is listening.

Yeah....what's that...."Offensive Battle Wagon".

I tried a few Glocks at my local range........then I ran across the H&K VP9. I was all set on getting a Glock but changed my mind after that. I just have no desire to get any Glock now. I don't hate them, but they just seem average at best.

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Frame View Post
    I consider the 1911 to be the absolute best self-defense handgun to ever grace Earth
    Can't help myself, stirring the pot. FIFY :)
    kerberos likes this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Oh boy........
    Pete63 and Cuda66 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Frame View Post

I still love my EMP 3 & have no intention of selling it. I do intend to augment it with a lightweight, single-stack Glock 9MM.
    So, did you get a chance to fire her G19? Glocks are nice tools.
    What gen was it?
    One thing you might find is that a single stack 9 (G43) is a bit different from the double stack G19.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Her Glock 19 was one amazingly accurate handgun. I was so impressed that I darn near walked to the adjacent range store & bought a Glock.

All guns, unless there's an issue, are intrinsically more accurate than humanly possible. The accuracy her gun exhibited was only due to her abilities to shoot well.

The same gun in someone else's hands may not prove to be as accurate. But that wouldn't mean the guns intrinsic accuracy was any less.

It's always the shooter, not the gun.
    Pete63, LimaCharlie, OD* and 21 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post

All guns, unless there's an issue, are intrinsically more accurate than humanly possible. The accuracy her gun exhibited was only due to her abilities to shoot well.

The same gun in someone else's hands may not prove to be as accurate. But that wouldn't mean the guns intrinsic accuracy was any less.

It's always the shooter, not the gun.
    Bob Munden used to show us that weekly. :) (God rest his soul)
    OD*, AzQkr, xXxHeavy and 1 others like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Normandie3 View Post
    I rather doubt it was considered for use as an "offensive" weapon.

"OK, men, grab your .45s and we'll take that hill."
    Actually the US Army adopted it as a cavalry pistol to replace the SAA.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

To me, Glocks feel blocky and unfinished. Like they got to the point, of a functioning action, and basic pistol shape, then stopped. Everything above the grip is fine, but it seems they could have spent a few minutes, and designed a better grip. Maybe not in the first generation, but at least in subsequent gens.

All in all, they're good pistols, but I don't think I would go as far to call a Glock great. Like in the past, Glock has been compared to the Honda Civic. Good, reliable, affordable, cars, that get you to where you need to go, but if you ask anyone for a list of "great" cars, you probably aren't going to find the Civic on it.

Now, fairly, that list is probably going to be centered around a more material aspect, rather than practicality. Fortunately, like the Honda Civic, an entire industry of accessories exists, to change the Glock into what you want, and personalize it. The base price of the Glock, retains its reputation as inexpensive, while people willingly nickel and dime, to transform "Glock Perfection".

It seems, now, other manufacturers are following suit? I recently, purchased a new Sig P229R to replace my EDC pistol, which has been pulling double duty as my range gun. With over 25,000rnds through it, I decided to get a new carry pistol, and my wife didn't know what to get me for Christmas. I was surprised, I couldn't buy the same pistol I had before. Last time, I was able to just order the P229R from my LGS, in the configuration I wanted (.357sig with the SRT). This time around, options were limited. I had to buy the P229 in .40s&w, and get the .357sig barrel separate.

The SRT wasn't available, at all, so looks like I'm sending my new pistol out, to get the SRT job, and get the proper sight configuration for .357sig. My first pistol, out of the box, the way I wanted it, came in at $998 delivered. The new one, was cheaper, by about $100, but then I'm spending a couple hundred dollars for a barrel, and a few hundred dollars for the SRT, sights, and trigger work. I could save some cash, just order the parts, and do it myself, but I prefer to keep the warranty, and if, god forbid, I ever have to use it, to defend myself or others, the work was done by a reputable licensed gunsmith.

Seems silly, when it's mostly just detail stripping and exchanging parts. It's like Sig expects you send your pistol in to them once a month, or every three months, to be detailed.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Old Man and MMinSC like this.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links