Lowest Cost Handgun You Would Carry - Page 8

Lowest Cost Handgun You Would Carry

This is a discussion on Lowest Cost Handgun You Would Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldChap This is probably the cheapest gun I would ever carry... Attachment 289058 I didn't pay anything for it, but they usually ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
Like Tree308Likes

Thread: Lowest Cost Handgun You Would Carry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    This is probably the cheapest gun I would ever carry...

Attachment 289058

I didn't pay anything for it, but they usually sell for $75 in legit places, or $750 on the black market. Oh, and the only place I would carry it is TO THE FURNACE.
    I suspect that many who are carrying them (especially the higher priced ones) are, in a manner of speaking, on their way to the furnace.

Literally and figuratively speaking.
    OldChap and Old Man like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    The bosses still carry them and sell enough of them at the shop. I steer people clear of them, don't recommend them to anyone, but keep my thoughts to myself if/when someone looks at or wants to buy one. If it were my shop, I wouldn't carry them, like I didn't carry Taurus revos and 1/2 their semi's due to problems coming back in the form of irate customers.
    At least the irate customers (many of them, anyway) couldn't shoot at you. Maybe...
    Wavygravy, AzQkr and OldChap like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

I understand the question is based on current pricing for new gun. On that basis my answer is Shield.
    Wavygravy and Old Man like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

At times I will carry my Ruger .357 Blackhawk 4.75 in. barrel. This gun cost me $87.50. New in the box at my favorite gun shop. I guess it was about 1950, lots folks here now weren't here then..
    After all these years the gun still works like new.
    xXxHeavy, Old Man and Aceoky like this.

Shield. On special and after rebate $270. I carry of course after my certification process with my practice and carry ammo.
    Old Man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by redmc View Post
    At times I will carry my Ruger .357 Blackhawk 4.75 in. barrel. This gun cost me $87.50. New in the box at my favorite gun shop. I guess it was about 1950, lots folks here now weren't here then..
    Got one of those......1970 version.....my first side arm bear huntin'.
    Old Man likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmc View Post
    The Ruger Blackhawk "Flat Tops" were and are great revolvers! If a person maintains them and doesn't abuse them, I have no idea how long they would last.
    bmcgilvray and redmc like this.

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    I carry the Ruger LCP almost daily. I bought it back when it was $249 though. Since it's down to the $179 point I've been considering getting a second one as a spare or to carry two of them, one in each front pocket. But Beretta Pico's are also cheap right now, I've seen online for around $187 and I'm considering getting one of those instead.

I've got a Bersa Thunder 380 and a SCCY CPX-2 that I bought for around the $249 price point as well. I've carried both, but with the LCP, the BT380 is kind of pointless to carry now.While the SCCY has 1000+ failure free rounds through it, I've never liked it as a carry gun so now it's relegated to the role of, 'a good 9mm to have when I want to stash one some where'.

Last Black Friday I picked up a SAR B6P fullsize CZ75 clone for $239 shipped. I've shot a lot through that gun since then and would carry it if I had a need to carry a fullsize firearm.

Lastly, I've got a Taurus 605 that I paid somewhere less than $280 for. I carry it often in a jacket pocket in the winter. My S&W 442 was only $299, so I'll throw that in as a cheap gun I carry too.

I'm a fan of cheap guns, and while it would seem like from the large list above that I've had good luck with them... Not really. There's also a list of cheap guns that I've owned or used that I'd never consider carrying. For instance I owned a Kodiak Denali, which was a poly frame based copy of the Davis 380. I bought it for $99 and it was absolutely terrible. I don't think I ever got a full 5 rd magazine to fire without an issue.
    Old Man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    Okay, that's fine, most of us don't use just the price as the key buying criteria and place reliability at the top. Sometimes you can achieve reliability without bankrupting your finances.

So what's the lowest priced handgun you have or know of that you would consider carrying, using your own criteria?
    Unfortunately, the criteria stated by the OP dealt ONLY with price; his criteria, not mine. And my answer is still that the price is irrelevant to me and I cannot give him an answer that fits his criteria, as I use other factors (caliber, action, make, model) to make that determination.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion
    "Laws are nothing more than guidelines for honest citizens to follow. Criminals care nothing for laws or their consequences, or the Police or Courts. Getting caught is nothing more to them than a minor inconvenience".--Me

1911's, I have several that I love to carry. I have an Officers Model Colt I payed $250 back about 1990. Some police officer traded it in. The front sight was about to fall off and the outside grip was all skinned up, ie carried one bunch of a lot and shot very little. I guess the true cheapest in today dollars that I own is the last, a Norinco I got from a shop for $300 out the door. It is one of many I have gotten for under $300. Change the grips and the thumb safety from a huge bin of spare parts that I have that were all taken in trade. It is a super shooter.
    Old Man likes this.

Aceoky and Old Man like this.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Sponsored Links