Does anyone here use a 22lr for home defense/carry? - Page 4

Does anyone here use a 22lr for home defense/carry?

This is a discussion on Does anyone here use a 22lr for home defense/carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Perhaps this situation isn't so much about caliber but is more about setting up the apartment to maximize being able to shoot in the direction ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree212Likes

Thread: Does anyone here use a 22lr for home defense/carry?

Perhaps this situation isn't so much about caliber but is more about setting up the apartment to maximize being able to shoot in the direction of the outer wall instead of inner walls. Assuming the intruder comes in the door furniture can be arranged to funnel a person coming in over to that outer wall while the inhabitant remains in a position to shoot in that direction.

Don't know if that is possible in this particular apartment but it is a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
    Honestly I would buy something bigger with better ammo choices if it were me.
    but here is a video you might be interested in regarding .22lr and drywall
    Thank you! I was going to mention this video but who posted/uploaded it I couldn't remember..,
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Back before the inet came along and told us it wouldn’t work, about every household up my “ holler” had a semi auto 22 rifle stoked up, and propped up somewhere in the house as the family home defense gun.
    Ah, but those folks who live in the hollers start shootin' before they are 6, or thereabouts, and they are dead-accurate and know how to get a 3-5 shot barrage off accurately. At least where I live.

Nothing like 20 to 40 years of constant training and practice!
    Bikenut, G-man*, Instymp and 4 others like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have a Taurus Judge with the three inch chambers and three inch barrel with Crimson Trace laser grips loaded with five Winchester PDX1 three inch .410 bore shot-shells relegated to nightstand duty due to penetration concerns. It is backed up with a 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm that I carry during the day and a 12 gauge pump shotgun loaded with #1 buckshot. I also have an NAA Mini-Mag .22 magnum revolver that goes into my pajama pocket until I get dressed in the morning. I also have ARs, AKs, and other guns in the safe if needed.

I would not like to depend only on a .22 LR for home defense. If I was limited to one gun by my budget and lived in an apartment complex, I would look at the Taurus Judge. The S&W Governor is another option that holds six rounds, but is more expensive. A short barrel shotgun would be another option.
    Aceoky and 5lima30ret like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Well a pellet gun can kill someone also. Google it you will come up with more than you think.

https://wreg.com/2017/09/27/pennsylv...un-police-say/

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Ah, but those folks who live in the hollers start shootin' before they are 6, or thereabouts, and they are dead-accurate and know how to get a 3-5 shot barrage off accurately. At least where I live.

Nothing like 20 to 40 years of constant training and practice!
    Yes ma’am I reckon you be right.

Heres grand dads old slayer with the flashlight he used for those bump in the night occurrences. That flashlight is every bit 50 years old and still works!

Does anyone here use a 22lr for home defense/carry?-21639cb6-9be3-4c28-81f4-9cf89e6044a2.jpeg
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member
    My first gun was a single shot Winchester 22LR. Had to learn to shoot with a single shot, not miss. Many squirrels and rabbits came home for dinner.
    Aceoky, 5lima30ret and Texas Red like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Yes ma’am I reckon you be right.

Heres grand dads old slayer with the flashlight he used for those bump in the night occurrences. That flashlight is every bit 50 years old and still works!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21639CB6-9BE3-4C28-81F4-9CF89E6044A2.jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	289006

They don't make'em like they used to.....love that Rem.66...I remember also in Black and Brown....maybe.
    Instymp, ShooterGranny and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by seeker_two View Post
    A .22lr pistol is not a good SD option. However, a 10-22 with a BR-25 magazine full of Velocitors is nothing to dismiss, especially if you are sensitive to noise and recoil.

In a pistol, I'd go with something larger.....either a .38Spl or 9mm.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    That 10/22 set up was my main home defense weapon for years. It's still the backup weapon if I'm still around after unloading 4 moon clips from my .357 Redhawk.
    Give me a 'T' for Texas, Give me a 'T' for Tennessee
    Native Texan - Long Time Tennessean

I've got an S&W 22lr Compact in my safe. In my nightstand is a G26 with two G19 magazines next to it. I have bigger guns and calibers in the safe as well, but the 26 is the one that I shoot most comfortably and accurately, so it's the best option for home defense for me by default.

Oh, and I hate patching holes in drywall. That's why shot placement is so critical-nobody wants to cancel a trip to the range to spend the afternoon patching holes in their wall.
    TSKnight and airslot like this.

VIP Member
    It wouldnt be my first choice, but my ruger mk3 stays loaded. If it is what comes to hand , then i will put holes where there were none previously
    airslot likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

If the 22 was all I could get to at the time , I would not hesitate to grab my Rem 552 , 15 rounds at close distance would do
    at the very least. I load 40 gr Win. in it , Should be a like a load of # 1 buck one at a time, just a little delay JMO ; )
    H/D PS I have plenty of substantial calibers, but I'd use it in a pinch
    airslot likes this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

We all know a handgun is not optimal for self defense, most people carry them because they conceal easily. For home defense I would recommend a 12 or 20 ga shotgun with bird shot. If your going to carry as well go with a 9mm but be ready to practice to become proficient in its use. Just my .02 cents
    Max
    USCG Ret. Code Enforcement Officer, Small Arms Instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution View Post
    Hi everyone, I just joined the forum. I live in an apartment and am concerned about over penetration god forbid I ever had to fire. Would a 22lr be ok for home and carry? I’m interested in the M&P 22 compact and the Ruger sr22 combined with cci stingers/velocitors. I was also thinking about a 410 shotgun however, I really want a pistol. What do you guys recommend?
    I have two 22's and love them. But not for home defense. In my many years in LE I saw a few people die from being shot with a 22 and a Dr once explained one death by describing how this round entered the body (chest) and just bounced around enough striking other organs. But I was in a crack neighborhood once when me and my partner heard a shot go off somewhere close by. Within seconds a guy come running our way saying his buddy was just shot. The victim is in the backseat of a car and someone (drug dealer) reached in and shot the guy nearly point blank. We get rescue there and off he goes. By the time we get there the ER doc is finishing up the work and the victim was sitting up and talking. He was a big fat guy and the round went nowhere and basically stopped after penetrating the outer layers of the skin. I wasn't a detective assigned to the case so I never followed up so I have no idea what kind of 22 was used except I did know it was a handgun. Maybe not enough velocity was obtained due to the close proximity but I really don't know.
    OD* likes this.
    The More People I Meet the More I Like My Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by mamaxwell View Post
    We all know a handgun is not optimal for self defense, most people carry them because they conceal easily. For home defense I would recommend a 12 or 20 ga shotgun with bird shot. If your going to carry as well go with a 9mm but be ready to practice to become proficient in its use. Just my .02 cents
    Remember, in the home at room distances, shotguns must be aimed like rifles as the pattern usually doesn't have enough distance to open.....even with IC chokes......effective, absolutely.
    Wavygravy likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links