Which revolver? - Page 2

Which revolver?

This is a discussion on Which revolver? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own both a Smith Model 36 and an LCR. I have been shooting DA revolvers for over 50 years. My LCR .38 has the ...

View Poll Results: Which revolver would you choose for pocket carry

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W 442

24 21.43%
  • S&W 642

26 23.21%
  • Ruger LCR

30 26.79%
  • Other

32 28.57%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree396Likes

Thread: Which revolver?

I own both a Smith Model 36 and an LCR. I have been shooting DA revolvers for over 50 years. My LCR .38 has the best out of the box trigger I have ever tried. It is slightly larger than a J frame, but for pocket carry, all the edges are rounded, which is really nice. My LGS has a nice used one. I'm thinking about getting a second one. The Smiths are fine guns, but don't get tempted by that M&P Bodyguard .38 snubby. IMHO, it is a whole other animal and not up Smith standards.
    duane_wade and Old Man like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I'm not a big pocket carry guy myself but sometimes ya gotta. The best thing I have for the occasion is the S&W 442. I find it a little easier in and out of the pocket than the LCR with its rather pocket bulky Tamer Grip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which revolver?-100_1569.jpg  

I pocket carry in my right-front pants pocket. The J-frames look like a pregnant gerbil in my pants pocket. The Sig P938 in the pocket holster looks like it could be a cell-phone and a reload is much quicker. The only time I pocket carry a revolver is in a coat pocket.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Another vote for the LCR....but in 9mm. It weighs the same as the .357, but recoils less than magnum loads and some special loads. The moon clips are also convenient. I can carry two in my jeans watch pocket.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Old Man likes this.

S&W is coming out with new no lock 642 with laser grips I would go for that or the preformce center no lock 642
    BamaT and Old Man like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    442, why? Because it is black and disappears in the pocket. It is slimmer and smaller than the Ruger. However, you should look at the Ruger too. You may prefer it. The trigger IS better. I have a 642 that I often carry at 3:00. However, for pocket carry, a black gun is necessary, even in a deep pocket, if the top of a black gun is seen, it doesn't "show" as a weapon.
    Last edited by viney266; February 6th, 2019 at 11:52 PM.
    Haywood, Old Man and CreedDryrot like this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I'm not a big pocket carry guy myself but sometimes ya gotta. The best thing I have for the occasion is the S&W 442. I find it a little easier in and out of the pocket than the LCR with its rather pocket bulky Tamer Grip.
    Here's a photograph in poor light showing the Model 649 here with its De Santis Nemesis holster, a similar get-up to your rig wmhawth.

Snub44, wmhawth, Haywood and 6 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

That right there is the ideal pocket rocket...needs a good set of Packys, though
    (just happen to have a set that might fit)
    Old Man likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Hah Snub!

And you would know.

Snub44's the former owner of the very Model 649 that lives here.

Nah, Packy's are ugly, sticky, smelly things that have have no place such a fine revolver as this one.

I only ventured to try the Bodyguard style J-Frame when I acquired this one. Renewed my faith in J-Frames, it did. Proved to be a surprisingly useful addition to the menagerie here.
    OD*, airslot, forester58 and 4 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

Looks well-loved and settled in nicely. My Packys may be ugly but they don't STINK! They improve handling and are comfortable to shoot in...I've got 'em on both my SP101s...and have 5 pair stuck back for "other possibilities" should I find what I'm seeking.

Distinguished Member
    I have Pach grips on my 3 semis and 2 revolvers. I'm with snub here.
    Haywood likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Is there a .357 revolver like you mention that's not unpleasant to shoot with .38 loads, that will fit in most pockets?
    The LCR .357 with .38 is OK to shoot. Hurts a lot with .357. Two that fit in the pocket for .357 or .38 would be the Kimber K6s or Taurus 605ss. They don't hurt with any ammo.

Let your budget be your guide. Big price difference but both are great.

S&W 642 is also great. But like someone mentioned, not the best trigger. I got a trigger job done on mine and it's right there with the rest now.

If you were in the SE instead of the SW you'd be more than welcome to shoot all of the above, but you ain't.
    G26Raven and Old Man like this.

I have a 642 I bought about 15 years ago that I still pocket carry. If I were to buy another revolver specifically for pocket carry I would give the lcr a try just because it's a couple of ounces lighter, and ounces matter for pocket carry. Between the 642 and 442, it just comes down to which finish you like better as they are the same gun to best of my knowledge.
    G26Raven and Old Man like this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Maybe consider a Charter Arms Undercover. Steel frame and 16oz. The boot grip is wide and soaks up recoil fairly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    G26Raven, Haywood, MMinSC and 3 others like this.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

For me my .357 LCR works well for front pocket carry, but only with the boot grip - the standard grip with finger grooves is too large for me. Even with the smaller grip, it's perfectly pleasant to shoot .38+P, perhaps because it's heavier than some. But even with the standard grip, I find it on the edge of controllability, using .357 ammo.

Triggers are a matter of taste, but for me the LCR is much better than my S&W 38-3, in that regard. I also like that the grips (standard and boot) have some cushioning for the web of the hand, unlike the metal edge you get with a high grip on a J-frame.
    bmcgilvray and Old Man like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links