Which revolver? - Page 3

Which revolver?

This is a discussion on Which revolver? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had the LCR357 for about 3 years. The trigger pull was nice but, the release was too long for me. When practicing at the ...

View Poll Results: Which revolver would you choose for pocket carry

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W 442

24 21.43%
  • S&W 642

26 23.21%
  • Ruger LCR

30 26.79%
  • Other

32 28.57%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree396Likes

Thread: Which revolver?

I had the LCR357 for about 3 years. The trigger pull was nice but, the release was too long for me. When practicing at the Range it was too easy for me to double stroke and skip a chamber. I sold it and went back to J-Frames. With the choice of a 36, a Bobbed 37, and 2 442s I normally carry the 442s. I keep a boot grip on one for pocket carry and a Hogue or Pachmayr for belt carry. I rotate guns so the grips get changed around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which revolver?-586dac11-e93c-4929-bdfe-784f80cc44b0.jpeg  

Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

Flip a coin. Both the Smith J frames and the LCR’s are great choices. I went with the LCRX for the following reasons.

1. Smoother trigger.
    2. Ability to change front sight.
    3. Less felt recoil. I feel as if the polymer frame of the LCR absorbs more of the recoil than the J frames.

Just my opinion as I own a 637 and spent some time shooting both side by side, ultimately choosing the Ruger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Here's a photograph in poor light showing the Model 649 here with its De Santis Nemesis holster, a similar get-up to your rig wmhawth.

One of the few guns I should have kept. Carried it in my back pocket as an always on me gun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    642 with Apex trigger kit
    G26Raven, Haywood and Old Man like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    LCR hands down for pocket carry. Lightweight, no lock and a great trigger.

I love S&W revolvers but J frame triggers are abysmal when compared to the LCR.
    Trigger job....
    Instymp, G26Raven, OD* and 1 others like this.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

If you were still in FW, BadBob, who would you take it to? I've got a pair of SPs that need a little love...but I don't know a gunsmith I'd let touch 'em.

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Trigger job....
    Exactly, the LCR doesn't require a trigger job.

Good point!
    G26Raven likes this.

flh
    S&w 642
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which revolver?-img_1584.jpg  

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

yes!
    G26Raven likes this.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    One of the few guns I should have kept. Carried it in my back pocket as an always on me gun.
    I like the really finger grooves is that a add on piece???

Which revolver?-kimg0040.jpg

Not very often do i roll with a revolver...But when i do it is my trusty old
    $190 Taurus blem...It was a blem due to a scratched trigger guard which is fine by me
    ...I don't have to worry about getting the first scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'm probably the only one who will suggest this, but banish the thought of lightweight revolvers, get a steel-framed snub and be happier. You're gonna have to live with this thing and it's much easier to regularly tote a steel-framed gun than it is to want to practice extensively with some flea-weight alloy-framed gun.

I've gravitated to a mid-1980s Smith & Wesson Model 649 .38 Special for a back-up or for infrequent pocket carry. The latest rendition of the Model 649 has a full lug barrel and is chambered for .357 Magnum.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-649

I'm also probably the only person who thinks the Ruger LCR to have the most wretched triggers imaginable. I've tried it and don't like it at all.

https://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/overview.html

Could not shoot it well and have no desire to attempt to become familiar with it. The trigger had all the imprecise nature of one of these.

Did I mention that I disliked the Ruger LCR trigger? That's only one opinion though. Read on for different opinions.
    The LCR grip is so comfortable...My wife loves hers...She hated the small hard grip on her bodyguard.
    G26Raven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    I like the really finger grooves is that a add on piece???
    It's an add on, called a Tyler T grip. I have two of them on J frames presently
    G26Raven and Old Man like this.

VIP Member
    Of your (OP's) choices, probably the 442.

I have a 442 and a 642 (both no-lock versions), and there is no real functional difference between them. It's a matter of personal preference. For a really harsh environment, the 642 might have an edge, since it has a stainless cylinder vs. the 442's carbon steel, but I think the finish on the 442 is good enough to protect the steel, as long as you clean & maintain it reasonably. The 642 is also a fraction of an ounce lighter - but not enough that you'd ever notice. I don't buy into the idea that a blue (or black) revolver has any 'tactical' advantage over a stainless finish, but I do like the looks of the 442 better.

Can't really make an apples-to-apples comparison with the LCR, but I do have a 3" LCRx. It's a great little knockaround/woods/tacklebox/snake gun, and one that we keep handy for Mrs. kW3 for HD, since she prefers revolvers and the 3" is obviously preferable where concealment is not an issue. The 3" is not a great pocket carry contender, though! From a purely subjective standpoint, as much as I like the LCRx, the 442 and 642 just feel like better quality guns in the hand.

FWIW - I've had a couple of Charter Arms snubs, and have a very high opinion of my 30-something-year-old Undercover and the Off Duty that we got for my Mom (it's now my sister's CCW when she's jogging or hiking). Great little revolvers for the money, and the triggers compare very well with either the S&W's or the Rugers.

I have no use for a .357 snubbie any smaller or lighter than the ol' 2-3/4" Security Six, but it's not a realistic candidate for pocket carry.

Hope this is helpful!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

22 votes for S&W. Probably more for models not listed. Ruger lags well behind.
    AzQkr and viney266 like this.
    Psalm 144:1

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links