Which revolver? - Page 5

Which revolver?

This is a discussion on Which revolver? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a quick pair of pics to show why pocket guns need to be black in my opinion. What's in there illuminated by a flash. ...

View Poll Results: Which revolver would you choose for pocket carry

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W 442

24 21.43%
  • S&W 642

26 23.21%
  • Ruger LCR

30 26.79%
  • Other

32 28.57%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree396Likes

Thread: Which revolver?

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Just a quick pair of pics to show why pocket guns need to be black in my opinion.

What's in there illuminated by a flash.

Which revolver?-pocket-light.jpg

What you see even with the pocket pulled ALL the way out. With it flat you see nothing.

Which revolver?-pocket-dark.jpg
    CreedDryrot and G26Raven like this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Distinguished Member
    @viney266 I don't see nuttin.
    viney266 and G26Raven like this.

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    @viney266 I don't see nuttin.
    fixed it :). Thanks.
    Old Man likes this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I voted LCR because my 327 is in my pocket everyday. Occasionally I go back to my S&W M637 38 SPL or Taurus 445 44 SPL, but the LCR is my go-to.

That said, lately I've been dropping my 2" Chiappa Rhino in my pocket sans holster, and I really like it for pocket carry. And 6 shots of 357 from a gun designed to minimize barrel flip makes a big difference; I had planned to get a LCR 357 as a brother to my 327, but the Chiappa is much more manageable shooting full tilt 158gr 357 than my S&W M637 is when shooting .38 +P.

It's like a junkyard dog - it's not pretty, but it's mean.

Attachment 289112

Another gun to consider is the Taurus 617 - a pocketable 7 shot 357 snubbie. It does have limited grip choices, which stinks, and is steel so heavier than a J frame, but mine has been a good gun so far.

Here it is compared to a J frame:

Which revolver?-taurus-617-m85ul.jpg
    G26Raven, Old Man, Tstone and 1 others like this.

For pocket carry, the original S&W Bodyguard. Recoil can be tamed with Pachmayr Compac grips. These grips are not "compact" and are tacky - good to shoot with but not conducive to pocket carry. When pocket carrying the original factory wood grips with a Tyler T-grip adapter can't be beat.
    G26Raven and Old Man like this.

I pocket carry a S&W 638. I like it because it's SA/DA with a "hammer-like" action. You can hand cock for single action although there is not a large hammer-spur.
    G26Raven, Old Man and Haywood like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I pocket carry in my right-front pants pocket. The J-frames look like a pregnant gerbil in my pants pocket. The Sig P938 in the pocket holster looks like it could be a cell-phone and a reload is much quicker. The only time I pocket carry a revolver is in a coat pocket.
    I sometimes pocket carry a 938. The only 9 that Iíve ever owned, but Iíll credit it based on action. I alternate it into the rotation to be PC and inclusive. The reload is much faster than a j frame, I must admit. Maybe because I carried a j frame in my pocket for so long, I feel that the 938 prints a little awkwardly. More so than the j frame. Yes, it would be viewed as a smart phone, and I donít concern myself with the printing anyway, but I havenít quite gotten used to it.
    Old Man likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I pocket carry a S&W 638. I like it because it's SA/DA with a "hammer-like" action. You can hand cock for single action although there is not a large hammer-spur.
    That's an excellent choice for pocket carry. I had the 438, the blued version. I no longer have this little humpback but I did keep the Tyler T grip shown in this picture. I kinda wish I'd kept this little S&W 438.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which revolver?-012-2-.jpg  

Old Man, Haywood and BamaT like this.

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    I voted LCR because my 327 is in my pocket everyday. Occasionally I go back to my S&W M637 38 SPL or Taurus 445 44 SPL, but the LCR is my go-to.

That said, lately I've been dropping my 2" Chiappa Rhino in my pocket sans holster, and I really like it for pocket carry.

Are you able to do this in any type of regular pants and jeans or are you talking cargo pants only?

And 6 shots of 357 from a gun designed to minimize barrel flip makes a big difference; I had planned to get a LCR 357 as a brother to my 327, but the Chiappa is much more manageable shooting full tilt 158gr 357

For .357, I think you definitely made the right decision.

It's like a junkyard dog - it's not pretty, but it's mean.

Another gun to consider is the Taurus 617 - a pocketable 7 shot 357 snubbie. It does have limited grip choices, which stinks, and is steel so heavier than a J frame, but mine has been a good gun so far.

Here it is compared to a J frame:
    Man, you have ALL of the fun toys! From the picture it doesn't look very much larger than the j-frame but I know it is in height and width. Same question I asked above. Does the height and width preclude pocket carry in most or all pants but with the exception of cargo pants? 7 shots are sweet which I have in the 686 Plus but it's not even close to being pocketable.
    Old Man and drmordo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dav3502 View Post
    Flip a coin. Both the Smith J frames and the LCRís are great choices. I went with the LCRX for the following reasons.

1. Smoother trigger.
    2. Ability to change front sight.
    3. Less felt recoil. I feel as if the polymer frame of the LCR absorbs more of the recoil than the J frames.

Just my opinion as I own a 637 and spent some time shooting both side by side, ultimately choosing the Ruger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good looking boot grip. Who makes that?

G26Raven and airslot like this.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

I've got a no lock 442 and a KCLR .357. Both are fine for pocket carry, but I installed a boot grip on the LCR from the Ruger store for better concealment. The 442's stock grip fits my my hand better than the LCR's boot grip.

One thing to consider is you can upgrade the LCR's front sight. I replaced mine with an XS Big Dot.
    G26Raven and Old Man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    It might be a little large for my pockets. But then, I am not Bad Bob!
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Quote Originally Posted by viney266 View Post
    Just a quick pair of pics to show why pocket guns need to be black in my opinion.

What's in there illuminated by a flash.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pocket light.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	289108

What you see even with the pocket pulled ALL the way out. With it flat you see nothing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pocket dark.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	289110
    I get what you're saying. I think it really depends also on what type of pants you're wearing and how the pockets are oriented. The opening on pockets on the pants I wear are oriented vertically, so to get my pistol out I have to lift my P938 up out of the bottom of the pocket and then pull towards the rear to clear the opening. Anything I put in there is going to be a lot less obvious than what you have illustrated here.
    BamaT and viney266 like this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    It might be a little large for my pockets. But then, I am not Bad Bob!
    HAHA is that a .44 magnum in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?

My .02 = pick one of the J frames.

I had a plastic revolver - once. I know some folks love them and swear by them and by all accounts they seem to hold up just fine.

They just aren't for me.
    G26Raven and BamaT like this.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links