Which revolver? - Page 7

Which revolver?

This is a discussion on Which revolver? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 71yancy Outta sight! No problem within my household either. But I know a lot of guys who don't have the freedom to ...

View Poll Results: Which revolver would you choose for pocket carry

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W 442

24 21.43%
  • S&W 642

26 23.21%
  • Ruger LCR

30 26.79%
  • Other

32 28.57%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree396Likes

Thread: Which revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by 71yancy View Post
    Outta sight! No problem within my household either. But I know a lot of guys who don't have the freedom to do as they wish.

That having been said, GET TWO...one for pocket and one for belt with your wife having fun with them also.
    Anything I buy she has to be able to shoot, and she has no problem shooting anything I own. When we go to the range, we routinely trade guns.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    I am also contemplating another revolver to go along with my s&W 637-2. I like the 637-2 except for the price and only 5 rounds so I've been looking at the Taurus (did I just utter a cuss word?) 856 Ultralite because of the 6 round capacity and I don't want my checkbook on life support.
    Are you OK with .38 special only? It's not rated for +p ammo. As far as I'm concerned, NO it's not a cussword with their revolvers.

Are you OK with .38 special only? It's not rated for +p ammo. As far as I'm concerned, NO it's not a cussword with their revolvers.
    9mm is my upper level of recoil control in a carryable semi auto and .38 is really pushing the edge of recoil control in a lightweight carry revolver. So, at least for me, .38 special without +p is a better choice.
    G26Raven likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Which revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'm probably the only one who will suggest this, but banish the thought of lightweight revolvers, get a steel-framed snub and be happier. You're gonna have to live with this thing and it's much easier to regularly tote a steel-framed gun than it is to want to practice extensively with some flea-weight alloy-framed gun.
    YES! If I could put this on a billboard, I would.

My first ever handgun purchase was a Smith & Wesson airweight snub. It was a beautiful, finely crafted item. But it was no fun to shoot, even with standard pressure .38s. As a result, I didnít shoot it much and wasnít very good with it. I all but abandoned the revolver world for some time, other than just as a curiosity.

Today, I routinely carry an all steel 2Ē snub in .357. Standard and +P .38s are a breeze and fun on the range. Now I can see why people like them. Mine is a Taurus 605, which, to my surprise, has been a remarkable firearm over the last 10 years or so of service.

Between your two options, I recommend S & W for the brand, but if youíre new to the platform, go for steel! Mine sees pocket, IWB, and OWB carry and all are no trouble with the few extra ounces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Manual lists 856 as +P rated...doesn't specifically say 856UL...I just hung up from Tech Support...he assured me that BOTH 856 and 856UL are +P rated.
    Old Man, Bikenut and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Manual lists 856 as +P rated...doesn't specifically say 856UL...I just hung up from Tech Support...he assured me that BOTH 856 and 856UL are +P rated.
    You're right. A lot of confusion with this model. Some months back it wasn't +P: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...-856-revolver/

...now it is. https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/856-856ul/

Quote Originally Posted by Coltfan1 View Post
    Good looking boot grip. Who makes that?
    Itís the Hogue boot grip. I had to customize the back side of the grip to accommodate the hammer. I used a dremel tool to remove some of the back strap. When I purchased the gun the Hogue grips were only made for the humpback LCRís. Not sure if they make the grip specifically for the LCRx. Makes the gun more concealable than the standard grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So G26raven you see the issue here right? Some think an airweight Smith is too punishing with +P and some of us do not. I typically shoot 50 rounds a session without issue. Yes, you can feel it but, not negatively in my opinion. You really need to see if you can shoot the models you are considering first.
    I am a firm believer in shooting a carry gun a lot so it matters if its comfortable for you to do so.
    Bikenut, airslot and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    So, down the road I plan to pick up another revolver, suitable for pocket carry. I know I need to go shoot some, but it will be awhile before I get a chance to do that. Just doing some cursory investigation, it looks like the two contenders would be either the Smith and Wesson 442 or 642, or the LCR. (And no Cornhusker95, it's not going to be a Korth, unless I win the lottery between now and then).

Of course, the new Colt Cobra 38 Special +P also intrigues me, but I realize it's not a pocket gun. I got to handle one at SHOT and was impressed.

I am interested in hearing from those of you who have shot both the Smith & Wessons and the LCR. Which do you guys prefer and why? I want a revolver that is not unpleasant to shoot and is reliable. Not sure if those are incompatible terms or not? What do you revolver guys think>
    Define pocket carry. Do you mean with an untucked shirt? Or with a tucked shirt and no over garment?

I ask because my LCR fit my pockets, but was visible unless I had an untucked shirt or cover garment. To me, pistols like the LCP are the true pocket guns, due to their smaller size and flatter profile.

Otherwise, my .38 LCR was great, but I sold it because my wife has a hard time with revolver triggers.

I would take a hard look at the 9mm LCR, better performance than most .38 yet not as much punishment as the .357 Mag. The .327 Fed Mag is interesting too, but ammo isnít nearly as available.
    forester58, G26Raven and Grizzly2 like this.
    Stay calm and listen to SKA!

Had to go to Secretary of State office today. And my favorite Mom & Pop gun store just happens to be a block away. Y'all can guess what happened next. A new Taurus 856 Ultralite with my name on it is on order and expected middle of next week.

Your turn G26Raven.

Had to go to Secretary of State office today. And my favorite Mom & Pop gun store just happens to be a block away. Y'all can guess what happened next. A new Taurus 856 Ultralite with my name on it is on order and expected middle of next week.
    A lengthy and complete range report will be required immediately after your first range session along with all ways to carry it.
    Bikenut and Any Day Now like this.

Your turn G26Raven.
    Never handled the UL. The LGS has a used steel 856 but, at $315 I think I could do better with a new one. Its a nice size for a 6 shooter.
    G26Raven and Bikenut like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Define pocket carry. Do you mean with an untucked shirt? Or with a tucked shirt and no over garment?

I ask because my LCR fit my pockets, but was visible unless I had an untucked shirt or cover garment. To me, pistols like the LCP are the true pocket guns, due to their smaller size and flatter profile.

Otherwise, my .38 LCR was great, but I sold it because my wife has a hard time with revolver triggers.

I would take a hard look at the 9mm LCR, better performance than most .38 yet not as much punishment as the .357 Mag. The .327 Fed Mag is interesting too, but ammo isnít nearly as available.
    Based on what I am hearing here, I am thinking I am probably going to end up getting something more like the Colt Cobra. I already have a Sig P938, which pretty much covers the pocket carry issue just fine. So yes, I am probably going to end up with something that will go into a belt holster with a cover garment. This is a case of not enough experience with revolvers to know what makes sense, but the responses I am getting here have helped me to clarify the issue.
    Bikenut, airslot and OD* like this.
    Mike Tyson

MMinSC and airslot like this.

That might work, too...
    Mike Tyson

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links