New EDC - Glock 26 or 19 - Page 3

New EDC - Glock 26 or 19

This is a discussion on New EDC - Glock 26 or 19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn Except it doesn’t. Shooting yourself in the butt is not likely fatal. Shooting yourself in the femoral artery? Unless it happens ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: New EDC - Glock 26 or 19

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Except it doesn’t. Shooting yourself in the butt is not likely fatal. Shooting yourself in the femoral artery? Unless it happens inside an ER, you’re dead.

Training is fine, but Murphy lurks in the real world.

Don’t want to derail the thread, but if someone insists on AIWB, my advice is always DA/SA or something with a thumb safety.
    That wasn't the comment, it was pointing a weapon at yourself, same/same. That discharge you mention is still an issue for others, floor below, ricochet, etc.
    Again, holstering properly negates the whole issue.
    G-man*, kerberos and Risasi like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by mlk18 View Post
    No, no they don't. No other positions points a gun directly at what makes you a man. I am willing to risk putting a round in my right ass cheek, but I have way to active of sex life to risk my man parts.
    Again, if you holster properly it isn't an issue at all.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

I would not carry any striker fired pistol AIWB. Period. I know I’m not perfect, and a slight lapse of concentration can be fatal in that carry position.

And yes, I like Glocks and have a 19, 26 and 30.
    I feel the same way about striker fired for pocket carry.

With AIWB, a good solid construction holster that does not bend or give over the trigger guard is what makes the difference.

OTOH, I shudder when I think of people carrying a striker fired pistol in one of those soft, collapsing holster commonly used for pocket carry.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

With AIWB, a good solid construction holster that does not bend or give over the trigger guard is what makes the difference.

OTOH, I shudder when I think of people carrying a striker fired pistol in one of those soft, collapsing holster commonly used for pocket carry.
    I don't AIWB, but totally agree with this about striker fired pistols in the commonly used soft pocket holsters. Not gonna do it.
    G-man*, 10thmtn and mlk18 like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Distinguished Member Array FLSlim's Avatar
    We all have our preferences, so this is one you really need to answer for yourself (shoot them both). I've had both and prefer the G19 for carry and all-around shooting. While a little bigger than the G26, it is easy to carry concealed and (for me) it has a "leg up" in accuracy. My choice in subcompacts, having owned quite a few of them, is the SIG P365--but again, that's just my preference.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Glock 26 gen 5. In my opinion the greatest CCW gun ever made. I have a Geeplate mag floorplate, brooks tactical A-grip and a Striker control device on the rear that allows me to essentially have a hammer fired Glock in terms of reholstering. I would not carry a striker fired gun if it weren't for some sort of rear protruding striker device, such as this.
    CZ-P-07 Cajunized
    Glock 26 Gen 5
    Glock 17 Gen 5
    Sig P365

I'm not going to get into the pros and cons of AIWB because it one of those personal issues. What frightens some, may not bother others.

I've carried a number of different kinds of guns AIWB, as well as other methods, including Glocks. Never had a problem. But then I always carry in a proper holster - and I always strive to never become a world champion at speed re-holstering.

On the gun itself, I like the 27 better than the 26. They are the exact same size, but the 27 can be transformed into a 26 with a simply barrel swap. But better than that, it can become a Glock 33 with a barrel for a 33, or even a 32 with the slightly longer barrels for those .357 Sig loads. So, the 26 will forever be a 9mm. The 27 can be either a 9mm, a 40 S&W, or a .357 Sig merely by buying the barrel you want. That gives you a lot of flexibility. JMHO.

And before I forget...Welcome to DC from the Texas Gulf Coast.
    Risasi, matthew03 and Bigsteve113 like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

Agreed

However, the issue with AIWB is holstering under less than ideal circumstances. Stuff getting inside the trigger guard, etc while under stress. There’s just no margin for error.
    drmordo likes this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo View Post
    Personally I'd go with the G26 and you can slap in some G19 mags if you feel like a G19 kind of day.
    I 2nd this! Make it a G26X! LOL

But the difference between the G19 and G17 isn’t much, so if you can conceal the G17 why bother with the G19. The G26/27 carries and conceal great! And it shoots like a full size pistol.

Lefty

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Agreed

However, the issue with AIWB is holstering under less than ideal circumstances. Stuff getting inside the trigger guard, etc while under stress. There’s just no margin for error.
    On the rare occasion that I carry a striker fired gun AIWB, I always remove the holster and point it in a safe direction before holstering. Then I reinstall the holster and gun in my pants.

This is one of the reasons I like guns with hammers and/or safeties.

I have both, and shoot them equally well. If I'm carrying on my belt I choose the 26 most of the time, in a shoulder holster the 19 gets more carry time. The spare mag is always a 15 round 19 mag regardless of which one I'm carrying. With the shoulder holster it's a pair of 19 mags.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I have both the G-26 and the G-19. I carry both (OWB) and shoot both well, for me it's a toss up. The G-26 might be a tad easier to cover.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Of your choices, since you have a G17, I’d go with the G26. Not a huge difference between a G17 and a G19, or a G19 and a G26....but a big difference between a G17 and a G26 in size and ease of concealability.
    Lefty_Red, 5lima30ret and MMinSC like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Thanks for the input everyone. I had been leaning towards the G26 for quite some time and this thread helped reinforce my decision. Thank you for the other suggestions. I do think a VP9 will probably be in my future (along with a G19... And a 1911 eventually).

I have more experience with the Glock platform than anything else so I'm used to the grip angle and trigger. I can shoot my CM9 out to 10 yds slow fire almost as well as my G17. It's only at speed that my groups tend to open up more so I believe I'll be able to shoot the G26 even better.

My G17 is pretty uncomfortable to appendix carry and I believe the G19 would be similar with my body type. The G26 barrel is less than a half an inch longer than the CM9 so I think it will be very comfortable.

Lastly, I can run the G26 with the flush mag for maximum concealment or a 19 mag for a G26X alluded to earlier for additional capacity. Either way I'll be rocking a G17 mag as a reload. I'll still have the CM9 for deep concealment and pocket carry and the G17 for when I really want to go big. Hopefully this post can help others trying to make a similar decision.
    TN_Mike, TX expat and 5lima30ret like this.

My vote is the 19. Just a better fit for me. Can’t go wrong with either gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links