"J frame of mind" - Page 2

"J frame of mind"

This is a discussion on "J frame of mind" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Wavygravy Even though I don't carry a J frame You should. For no other reason than to get used to pocket carry ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: "J frame of mind"

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Even though I don't carry a J frame
    You should. For no other reason than to get used to pocket carry and practice drawing from it. 5 or 6 in the front and soon to be 7 in the back pocket. Using my fingers and toes to count, that comes out to 12 or 13.
    Wavygravy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Old Sarge's Avatar
    Personally, I have gone from high to low, starting with a Browning Hi-Power 9mm, going "downstream" so to speak to a S&W 642, fitted with Crimson Trace laser, which is probably overkill, but it tripped my fancy. The 642 is the first available in my open gun safe beside the bed. Should I need more firepower, the Springfield XDe 9mm, and Mossberg 500 20 gauge are always close at hand.
    Instymp likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 71yancy View Post
    You should. For no other reason than to get used to pocket carry and practice drawing from it. 5 or 6 in the front and soon to be 7 in the back pocket. Using my fingers and toes to count, that comes out to 12 or 13.
    Nah, yancy. I might just be naive, but don't feel the need to carry more than one gun at a time. It's the Shield 9 with 7+1 or the LCPII with 6+1 depending on the situation. I am looking forward to getting the .380 wallet holster you recommended, though. The maker is running behind due to the snow and storms in his area. It might be another week or so. I gots me a big "snubby" (actually two) that I keep at home.
    71yancy and wizard7mm08 like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Old Sarge's Avatar
    In addition, I'm told that the 642 will perform flawlessly thru a winter coat pocket, without jamming, which is a very high likelihood for any automatic.
    Instymp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Great article. For my ďsmallĒ carry, I started with a snub, chased unicorns for years in pursuit of the right single stack 9, and am now back to a snub. I just shoot and carry it better than any of the micros. Itís true, even though I carry them, that reloads are unlikely. Iíve spent a lot of time working on shot placement in both single and double action to the point where Iím comfortable and happy being in a snub state of mind for smaller concealed carry. Itís a great defensive tool, and a high capacity automatic doesnít transform the owner into Bruce Willis any more than a five shot snub.

Iíll admit that the Sig P365 intrigues me, but given my past history of unicorn chasing, itís unlikely to usurp the snub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice grips.
    380ACP, ButtShot14 and bsms2 like this.

"J frame of mind"-rossi_revolver_r35102_01.jpg
    Not exactly a J frame, but I like it. Bigger grips, better control.
    msgt/ret likes this.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...ht-travel-edc/

This pretty much sums up my view. Now, I need to find another LCR 9mm....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

It may not be appropriate for todays environment, but it was always drilled into me for decades; for the non-LEO, civilian carrier; 3-3-3...... 3 shots in 3 seconds at 3 yards. So the J Frame is perfect. Also, I remember reading somewhere that more people have been killed with the .38 Special than any other round. I can not confirm or deny, but it sounds plausible??
    Especially when using Buffalo Bore 158 grain SWCHP +P.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "J frame of mind"-img_0742.jpg  

U.S. Army Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    Personally, I have gone from high to low, starting with a Browning Hi-Power 9mm, going "downstream" so to speak to a S&W 642, fitted with Crimson Trace laser, which is probably overkill, but it tripped my fancy. The 642 is the first available in my open gun safe beside the bed. Should I need more firepower, the Springfield XDe 9mm, and Mossberg 500 20 gauge are always close at hand.
    At what point do you decide you need more power? Just grab the shotty dude.

I've carried a 642 at (among other guns) for the better part of two decades, always recognizing it's limitations. I recently obtain a Shield 9 to increase available rounds in a similar size package.

None the less, the concepts in the referenced article should be applied by all, regardless of which sidearm they chose to carry or how many rounds it holds.
    forester58 and viney266 like this.

Two things in the gun world you just canít argue against.......a good 1911 .45 ..... and a Smith J Frame !!!!
    ďOut of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.Ē

― Heraclitus

My first carry gun was a J frame. Put some crimson trace grips on it and it carries 5 Gold Dots with 5 more in a speed strip carrier in my back pocket. It is not fun to practice with even with range ammo. I carried it in a pocket holster, still do sometimes. I believe it would be very effective in close range situations.

Senior Moderator
    Just when ya' thought it couldn't get any more corny.

Saw this thread title and this tune burst upon my consciousness. Probably most here are too young to recall it.

Why J-Frames can have that effect, causing folks to burst into song.

It's "Defensive Carry Forum: The Musical!"

With apologies to Glen Campbell.

It's knowing you're always present

and always ridin' holstered on my side.

How you cause me to take grateful comfort

secure you're always stashed inside a pocket.

And it's knowing I'm not helpless

In a world of forgotten morals

In places where right and wrong are sometimes blurred.

That keeps me ever thankful

for the presence of your company

My familiar certain J-Frame of mind.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Not too far off from my mindset.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    There may be another "bigger" gun some days, but the J frame is always there.

"J frame of mind"-speedy.png
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links