Pachmayr Diamond Pro Grips on S&W J Frame 442?

Pachmayr Diamond Pro Grips on S&W J Frame 442?

This is a discussion on Pachmayr Diamond Pro Grips on S&W J Frame 442? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would any of you have real-world experience with the Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips on S&W J Frame sized 38 spcl snubbies? I like the design ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Pachmayr Diamond Pro Grips on S&W J Frame 442?

  1. #1
    Member Array Athappyhiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    104

    Pachmayr Diamond Pro Grips on S&W J Frame 442?

    Would any of you have real-world experience with the Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips on S&W J Frame sized 38 spcl snubbies? I like the design how they cover the grip backstrap (which on the exposed factory grips seems like a major contributor to recoil smack) and that they are a tad thicker, but wondering if the extra finger extension (so you can get 3 fingers on vs 2 with factory grips) seriously degrades its concealability. Does the Pachmayr Diamond Pro reduce felt recoil a fair amount and does the extra grip width/length aid in accuracy? I just ordered a Fobus paddle holster for mine, and that plus dropped into coat pockets are probably how I'll carry it in winter/fall and will get an IWB one for summer.

  2. #2
    VIP Member Array forester58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    3,450
    Couple of things just from my perspective only. The diamond grips are "grippy" rubber meaning that they like to snag a little with some cover garment materials. I had them on an Ruger SP101. They do feel good and they do absorb more recoil than the boot grips on your j frame. Accuracy is on you not the grips.
    A three finger grip will definitely compromise the usefulness of a j frame but, that depends on how you carry it. I really like the stock grips and even +P doesn't bother me to the point of changing them because they fit me well and conceal any way I carry it.
    I wish you would have asked about Fobus paddle holsters here before you ordered because in a word they are garbage (my opinion) unless you are just using it for a range holster? They are easy to pull on and break. I would avoid anything with the name Fobus on it. Don't cheap out on belts and holsters either. I know its tempting but, you will buy another holster as you progress down this road I would bet on it.
    I don't mean to be a downer just trying to save you some heartache and some cash in the long run.
    Instymp and drmordo like this.

  3. #3
    Member Array Athappyhiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Couple of things just from my perspective only. The diamond grips are "grippy" rubber meaning that they like to snag a little with some cover garment materials. I had them on an Ruger SP101. They do feel good and they do absorb more recoil than the boot grips on your j frame. Accuracy is on you not the grips.
    A three finger grip will definitely compromise the usefulness of a j frame but, that depends on how you carry it. I really like the stock grips and even +P doesn't bother me to the point of changing them because they fit me well and conceal any way I carry it.
    I wish you would have asked about Fobus paddle holsters here before you ordered because in a word they are garbage (my opinion) unless you are just using it for a range holster? They are easy to pull on and break. I would avoid anything with the name Fobus on it. Don't cheap out on belts and holsters either. I know its tempting but, you will buy another holster as you progress down this road I would bet on it.
    I don't mean to be a downer just trying to save you some heartache and some cash in the long run.

    Thanks for the advice! I wich Comp-tac would make a paddle for J frame snubbies (I like their other products I've had) but they don't. Can you recommend another quality kydex paddle holster for the S&W J Frame sized revolvers? (has to come in left hand)

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Array Paladin3840's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NW Florida
    Posts
    925
    Real world experience with Pachmayr Compac grips. http://https://www.lymanproducts.com...pac-grips.html They are the most comfortable shooting grips of the several I have tried. Note they cost more than Diamond Pro, and the pinky spot is in a different spot. I do not care for finger groves, but that is a personal thing. The place for the pinky finger and hand filling profile make a significant difference. As stated in post above, they will compromise conceal-ability depending on how you carry it.
    TSKnight and Haywood like this.

  6. #5
    VIP Member
    Array ThirdShift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Posts
    5,696
    I carry my J Frame in my jeans pocket. So it wears Eagle Secret Service boot grips.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Array Paladin3840's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NW Florida
    Posts
    925
    Good that you are asking before making a decision. That way you can learn from the trials and errors of others rather than your own.

    So why limiting holsters to Kydex, and why a paddle? There are pros and cons to holster materials and styles.

  8. #7
    Member Array bullet183's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    212
    Iíve bought grips for my SP101 and j frame trying to improve this or that but keep going back to the factory originals. Now I have a box of holsters AND grips. Nothing Iíve found conceal as well as stock grips. Hopefully youíll have better luck.

  9. #8
    New Member Array rlggray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    801
    I've got the Pachmayr compac grips I sometimes put on my 640 pro when I want to take it to the range and shoot full house 357 magnum ammo. They definitely help with felt recoil. They ruin concealabity though. If I leave them on, it definitely turns it into an iwb/owb gun,
    in my opinion. At that point I might as well carry my 3" SP101.

    I don't know the size difference between them and the Diamond Pros, as I don't have them. I don't have a picture of my 640 Wearing them but Here is a picture of my 442 Wearing them. The lcr wanted to be in the picture to. (By the way, I really dislike the lcr grips. I have replaced them with boot grips)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pachmayr Diamond Pro Grips on S&W J Frame 442?-screenshot_20190110-092021_gallery_1550535124470.jpg  


  10. #9
    Member Array Athappyhiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    Good that you are asking before making a decision. That way you can learn from the trials and errors of others rather than your own.

    So why limiting holsters to Kydex, and why a paddle? There are pros and cons to holster materials and styles.
    Paddles are the quickest holster to put on in my experience, and kydex is lighter by far than leather. I want to keep the snubbie light and quick to bring out of the house for CCW; having to strap a pancake holster on a belt, or monkey with IWB fit can be fine when I have a bit of time but to "grab & go" a paddle seems to be quick. Kydex is light and costs less than quality leather.

  11. #10
    VIP Member
    Array ThirdShift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Posts
    5,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Athappyhiker View Post
    Paddles are the quickest holster to put on in my experience, and kydex is lighter by far than leather. I want to keep the snubbie light and quick to bring out of the house for CCW; having to strap a pancake holster on a belt, or monkey with IWB fit can be fine when I have a bit of time but to "grab & go" a paddle seems to be quick. Kydex is light and costs less than quality leather.
    Ever thought about just tossing it in your pocket?
    msgt/ret and CreedDryrot like this.

  12. #11
    VIP Member
    Array ThirdShift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Posts
    5,696
    With a pocket holster, of course.
    msgt/ret likes this.

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array Snub44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,390
    Those Packys in post #8 top revolver are the most comfortable, best shooting grips I've ever used...I put them on every revolver I buy that they're made for. Don't like the smaller Compac Pros, as they don't give you a good grip...but the regular Compacs...shown there, are the cat's meow!!! I've tried two pair of the newer Diamond Pros...neither fit on the gun they were made for. Pachmayr acknowledged they had problems...but didn't fix them. I won't order any more...the regular Compacs can't be beat, in my experience...since the early 70s.
    Paladin3840 and Haywood like this.

  14. #13
    Ex Member Array AzQkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In the Superstitions
    Posts
    19,639
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdShift View Post
    I carry my J Frame in my jeans pocket. So it wears Eagle Secret Service boot grips.
    I carry mine in my jeans pocket too, the back pocket/s. I can get away with a Berami and/or Tyler T or both as well as the original wood combat grips.

  15. #14
    Member Array Athappyhiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Those Packys in post #8 top revolver are the most comfortable, best shooting grips I've ever used...I put them on every revolver I buy that they're made for. Don't like the smaller Compac Pros, as they don't give you a good grip...but the regular Compacs...shown there, are the cat's meow!!! I've tried two pair of the newer Diamond Pros...neither fit on the gun they were made for. Pachmayr acknowledged they had problems...but didn't fix them. I won't order any more...the regular Compacs can't be beat, in my experience...since the early 70s.
    Do the Compacs wrap around the whole grip and cover the backstrap? Do they give you 2 or 3 finger hold? I've also read that the Compacs are pretty heavy for a grip because they're made of hard rubber with a steel liner... don't know if that's accurate or not. THe Diamond Pros are reportedly half the weight and softer rubber for better recoil taming.
    forester58 likes this.

  16. #15
    Member Array Athappyhiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdShift View Post
    Ever thought about just tossing it in your pocket?
    Yes, definitely want to pocket carry it when using a jacket/coat or cargo style pants. I've already carried it in back pocket of jeans but front pocket jean carry doesn't feel great to me with the bulk of a pocket holster plus the revolver.
    AzQkr likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

j frame grips

Click on a term to search for related topics.