The New Colt Cobra

The New Colt Cobra

This is a discussion on The New Colt Cobra within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a long-time Colt enthusiast, I was very interested when Colt introduced their new "Cobra" a couple years ago. There seemed to be a good ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: The New Colt Cobra

VIP Member

The New Colt Cobra

As a long-time Colt enthusiast, I was very interested when Colt introduced their new "Cobra" a couple years ago. There seemed to be a good bit of chatter about it at first, but not much since.

I never actually took the opportunity to handle one until today. The prices have come down considerably, and it occurred to me that the Cobra might be a candidate for Mrs. kW3's revolver stable. Saw one in the LGS this morning and had a closer look at it. I was very favorably impressed!

It doesn't quite have the old-school feel of my 70's-vintage Detective Specials, but fit-n-finish were nice, and the trigger was great! The only thing I really didn't like about it was that ghastly QR Code laser-etched into the frame! Guess that's just something we'll have to get used to on new guns.

Just wonder who-all on the Forum might have one of these, and how you're liking it?

TIA
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Coinicidently, I handled a new Colt Cobra last Saturday at the LGS. Historically, I've leaned to S&W revolvers but this Cobra just felt nice; very comfortable grip, size and weight. Later at home I found my G&A April 2017 issue with their article on the new release. I read they were all steel initially but this one felt like an airweight. The price was north of $600 but still, a revolver I could take a second look at.
    Kilowatt3, OD*, Gabill and 1 others like this.

I almost clicked “buy now” last weekend after a few beers.

https://lockedloaded.com/product/col...tainless-steel
    Kilowatt3, OD*, G26Raven and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Encore2016 View Post
    Coinicidently, I handled a new Colt Cobra last Saturday at the LGS. Historically, I've leaned to S&W revolvers but this Cobra just felt nice; very comfortable grip, size and weight. Later at home I found my G&A April 2017 issue with their article on the new release. I read they were all steel initially but this one felt like an airweight. The price was north of $600 but still, a revolver I could take a second look at.
    I was seeing them for $700+ when they first came out. The one in the store today was $619, but I'm seeing them now as low as about $560 online.

Didn't know they had a Lightweight version. Might have to look into that, as it would be more true to the Cobra name!
    OD*, bmcgilvray, Gabill and 2 others like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    I almost clicked “buy now” last weekend after a few beers.

https://lockedloaded.com/product/col...tainless-steel
    Dang!!!

Wish you hadn'ta done that!!!
    Havok, bakes and bigmacque like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

I had one. Tried to sell it here last fall for 550 shipped, which seemed like a good price at the time. Ended up getting 500 for it at the local shop.
    Apparently the new Cobras don't retain their value. Really sweet trigger though.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

I got one when they first came out and love it. Very nice trigger and very accurate. And the best part is it has 6 holes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The New Colt Cobra-screenshot_20190228-121025_gallery_1552186926852.jpg  

Please don’t shoot the messenger.

Mike1956, Pete63 and Cornhusker95 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post

Now that's depressing!
    Glocking26, OD*, Mike1956 and 2 others like this.
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I was seeing them for $700+ when they first came out. The one in the store today was $619, but I'm seeing them now as low as about $560 online.

Didn't know they had a Lightweight version. Might have to look into that, as it would be more true to the Cobra name!
    I don’t think they have a different lightweight version. The Cobra is about 25 oz so it may seem light for its size, compared to a S&W K or L frame.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
    I don’t think they have a different lightweight version. The Cobra is about 25 oz so it may seem light for its size, compared to a S&W K or L frame.
    I think you're right. No sign of a Lightweight model on their website or anything.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Geez, that is sad.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member

Forewarned is forearmed. Thanks for the vid.
    OD* likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

VIP Member
    I've seen nothing about the new Cobra that would cause me to add it to my 1970s era Cobras. I guess I'm just spoiled.

The New Colt Cobra-d6ecbtt.jpg
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I never would have guessed being compared to a Smith & Wesson would be a bad a bad thing
    but he did kinda make it sound that way

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links