Couples that both carry?

Couples that both carry?

This is a discussion on Couples that both carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you and your significant other both carry - do you see any value in both of you carrying the "same' gun? The same could ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: Couples that both carry?

Couples that both carry?

If you and your significant other both carry - do you see any value in both of you carrying the "same' gun? The same could mean a lot of things...same platform (IE no safeties and striker fired just to make something up). Maybe it's a G26 and a G19...maybe it's two shields. The list of possibilities goes on and on.

One thing I come across is the scenario where the husband carries all the time, the wife has her permit but doesn't carry very often but does enjoy shooting...is proficient in the basics etc etc. Do you make sure she is good to go with your carry pistol? Again, just an example...Maybe each person does their own thing because it is what they are more proficient with.

Anyway how do you folks approach this?

This is an excellent question. IMHO there is huge value in carrying the same pistol. I like full size 1911 style pistols, in fact I am carrying a matched pair today. My wife has several Glock's but usually carries smaller 1911's in 9mm.
    ParsonBrown and Redbert31 like this.

Yes. My wife is proficient with both my Glocks and LCPs. She has her own LCP yet rarely carries it.

I stopped carrying revolvers, because she couldnít handle the heavy DA triggers nor the recoil.

I always carry two sidearms, and one reason is to arm her if need be.

Thereís lots of guns Iíd like to buy, but I stick with what I know works for both of us.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Yes. My wife is proficient with both my Glocks and LCPs. She has her own LCP yet rarely carries it.

I stopped carrying revolvers, because she couldnít handle the heavy DA triggers nor the recoil.

I always carry two sidearms, and one reason is to arm her if need be.

Thereís lots of guns Iíd like to buy, but I stick with what I know works for both of us.

In carrying two, do you bypass the spare mags?
    Redbert31 likes this.

Same mags or bigger mags can come into play. Same ammo & another armed person trained in CQB would be awesome.
    I'm lucky if I can get my wife to carry 50% of the time, but I'll take it ; ) PS ammo would be the same for us
    H/D
    ParsonBrown and Redbert31 like this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

My wife has her Oregon Concealed Handgun License and her primary carry is a Sig P938 9mm. My pocket carry gun is a Sig P938 9mm. My primary carry gun is a 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm. If my wife isn't carrying, I can hand her my pocket gun in an emergency.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

flh
    Mrs. Flh , likes Glock , 43 or 19 depending on how she is dressed etc .

I switched my edc to Glock because of this reason.

I've Been Called A Lot Of Names But Papa Is My Favorite

My wife simply is not going to carry. She has no objection to me doing so. I think she is the "Can't happen to me" type. I point out to her the recent bank shooting in Sebring where five women were executed, that everyone of those women woke that morning thinking something like that would never happen to them, and she says, "Yes, that's terrible. I'm going to Walmart, need anything?"

So I get off my butt and go to Walmart with her. What are you going to do?
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

My parents both carry. They both have their CC from Texas. Both carry snub nosed 38 specials. My wife does not carry. Consequently, she usually schedules her errands around my work schedule, and expects me to go with her.
    Redbert31 likes this.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

There are some good ideas in this thread. Both of us carry pretty much all the time.

Most of the time, I carry a 1911 in .45, and sometimes I'll carry the Kimber Micro9.
    She always carries her p365, but also practices with the P320, and the Glock 19X.
    She's not a fan of the .45, she really likes the 19x. She's just ok regarding the Kimber, so a 938, which she has shot, wouldn't be an option.

I have some considering to do.

I 'could' start carrying a secondary such as the P365, or possibly carry it as primary ... which would require me to buy another gun ...
    I 'could' start carrying the 19x, and pick up a Glock 45 'for her' ... which would STILL require me to buy another gun ...

Decisions, decisions ...

Quote Originally Posted by ParsonBrown View Post
    In carrying two, do you bypass the spare mags?
    No. My normal carry is dual LCPs plus one spare mag. Sometimes I carry more mags.

If I carry a Glock plus LCP, I have at least one spare mag for each.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

For awhile, my wife and I both carried the G26. That didn't work out well for a couple of reasons. She felt the G26 was a bit heavier than she wanted to carry and was prone not to carry. At the time we lived in California where I was concerned about printing with a larger pistol. If you print in California, you could technicalluy be accused of brandishing, but also you never want to be caught out and be the "man with a gun."

Now that we live in Utah (been here for 5 years) my wife carries a G43, with several extended magazines. I plan to get her a Sig P365 as a second pistol. I carry a Sig P229 Legion. I don't worry about printing here, since open carry is legal and concealed carry is very common. When we go to the range together, about once a month, we both practice with each other's pistols. She is more than capable of shooting anything I own - including my Sig, a 1911, my Sig P938, Glock 19, etc.

Yes, there would be an advantage to us both carrying the same pistol to a certain extent since we could share magazines. But she is not willing to carry a larger pistol and I would prefer not to carry a smaller one, so we compromise. Isn't that what marriage is all about?
    Last edited by G26Raven; March 26th, 2019 at 10:29 AM.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    What we have here is a failure to communicate...
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

I've conceal carried for 32 years but my wife only for about 23 years , Today her EDC is a Kimber stainless ultra with 9 round mag and 2 -10 round mags as back up . but she has a tcp when a dress is needed and started with a bersa 380 .
    G26Raven, Old Man and Redbert31 like this.

My wife is a shooter but, not a carrier. She does not like semi autos at all and no sense fighting it. I carry a revolver and when we are together I carry 2 (one 357 and one 38) and have handed her one at times like helping a stranded motorist while she stayed in the truck. When she goes out to take photos by herself she takes a magnum revolver in the truck but, not on her person.
    Best I can do.
    OD*, G26Raven and Redbert31 like this.

I carry a Sig P938, and my bride of 45 years carries a P238... I get yelled at if I run 1/2 mile to the dollar general store for a couple of nails, or a bag of chips without my gun... So now I have a tiny .22 mag revolver on the way, and will be getting a KelTec P32 for its tiny size and ridiculously light weight for those times when I am too lazy to stick the gun in my pocket or have pants on that fall down when carrying the 938.. My wife is pretty radical about never leaving home without both of our guns, even if its just taking the grandkids home.. Mind you, this is out in the country- the most rural part of NY Finger Lakes region, no crime here, not too many people, and the main business is dairy farms and feed corn.... She doesn't believe in taking the slightest chance, and makes me fall in line.. She DOES buy me guns or lets me buy my own, so she's a keeper.. Oh yeah, at the range she makes me look like an idiot without exception . Often because she always carries, I sometimes get lazy and don't, and I have decided thats not a good thing to continue doing, hence a couple of tiny guns that weigh nothing. No more excuses...bob

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links