Need a lighter pistol for Sunday carry - Page 3

Need a lighter pistol for Sunday carry

This is a discussion on Need a lighter pistol for Sunday carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a Ruger Lc9s that I carry when I can't dress enough to carry my DW .357. It is comfortable in an AlienGear holster ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Need a lighter pistol for Sunday carry

I've got a Ruger Lc9s that I carry when I can't dress enough to carry my DW .357. It is comfortable in an AlienGear holster or a pocket holster. It doesn't quite meet you weight specs but very close. It is an easy shooting pistol and shot better after I out a slip on grip on it as I do not use the mag extension for the pinky which makes it a little more concealable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    bsms2 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    You may need to go with a belly band/ankle holster if you don't want to get a proper gun belt. All of the MALFs I have ever had was with "mini-guns". I have a small .38 LCR at 13.5 ozs that has never failed but with small tiny autos, I cant keep them running. Some folks have no issues. My smallest auto is my walther PPS M-2 which is awesome and slim. With all that said, I carry a 1911 to church with me every Sunday. I find that going to church in this day in time of church shootings and crazy fruit loops it is one of the most high risk things that I do.
    Snub44, bsms2, Risasi and 4 others like this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I'm old enough that someone spotting suspenders under a jacket wouldn't think "Gun!". Just "Eccentric old guy!" A couple of guys at church who are probably NOT carrying use suspenders because (like me) they have no hips. I'm not sold on them for daily wear. My EC9s & jeans are OK without them. No gun belt I've tried has helped carry the 92 on my hips. The suspenders darn near make it float. Now I just need to find a good way to conceal the size of it!

Also, FWIW...in church, I'm not too concerned with needing a "Get off me" gun. Church wear is based on an active shooter scenario, which to me suggests a bigger, LONGER gun with excellent sights - too many innocent people in too small a space and a longer shot may be needed. 7-yard, "minute of BG" accuracy isn't enough. I used to carry my LCP or J-frame to church. Now I consider my Glock 27 to be the smallest gun I want to take. I'm considering an XDS with the longer barrel option. Weight needs to be way down the list of my priorities - on Sunday! For the rest of the week, my J-frame or EC9 works.

PS: I'm lucky to live in a state where "concealed" means "discrete"!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    I really appreciate the feedback guys. It is definitely a belt issue but I can't really swap out for a more practical gun belt. I have to keep up appearances and hide this completely else it would lead to a freak out.

I was wondering about the PF9 but good to hear honest feedback on it. I thought about the SCCY but the thread here a while back about the barrel on one of those blowing up has me a bit wary of it as well. I had not thought about the Rugers....and I've been trying hard to not find a reason to buy a P365...but this may be it.

Weight of a loaded CM9 should be about 18.95 oz and a loaded P365 should be 22.75 oz while my XDs loaded is 26.6 and the weight of a loaded LC9S should be 20.8 oz.

I need to do some thinking and handling at the LGS...

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    If I may, I have (2) 1 1/4 inch dress belts from thebeltman.net nicest belts I have ever had, 3 in 1911 chambered in .45 and double mag pouch, no problem.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
    I have a Kahr PM9 and my wife has a Kahr CW9. Both have been flawless. However, my Kahr P45 needed a trip back to the factory to install the reliability. With Kahr, you don't always get one that's good to go.
    This comment struck me on the funny bone CG11. So they just left that component out, huh?

Seems like the .380 sits squarely in the ultra-light realm for the type of carry side are you require, wondering.

I attend church, always have and always will. Have always worn a suit and tie, always have and always will so plain ol' K-Frame Smith & Wessons or 1911-guns go along most often. Sometimes on Wednesday night I might pocket carry a small .38 Special revolver.
    bsms2, Old Man, OldChap and 1 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I believe Kimber Micro 9 is just under 16 oz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Primalgunner View Post
    If I may, I have (2) 1 1/4 inch dress belts from thebeltman.net nicest belts I have ever had, 3 in 1911 chambered in .45 and double mag pouch, no problem.
    This. Ive been wearing a dress Beltman gun belt for years, even in a business suit, even when pocket carrying. Only belt I wear.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Post the weight of a gun means nothing unless it is fully loaded with one in the pipe for a true weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteve113 View Post
    Keltec PF9 = 12.6 oz., Shield 9 = 19.0 oz, SIG P365 = 17.8 oz, SIG P938 = 16.0 oz, GLOCK 43X = 18.7 oz . Your XDS 9mm is 23.0 oz (which is actually 1.5 oz heavier than my XDS .45), KAHR 9mm C Series = 18.3 oz, 15.8 oz, 14 oz depending on the capacity and size you choose.

So, just about any of those will feel much lighter than your 23 .oz XDS. But I think the XDS is a fine pistol. I can tell you though, I can actually feel the weight difference in my Shield (which is only 2.5 oz lighter than my XDS .45)
    than my XDS.

I have personally found that any auto under the size/weight of that Shield just doesn't really work for me for a halfway decent fighting gun for me !! If I had to go smaller and lighter, I might consider the SIG P938 just because I thought it was a cool little gun and I shot it very well in my big mitts despite it's diminutive dimensions.

What I have found though is that Smith J Frames (14.4 oz) and Ruger LCR's (13.5 oz in 38 or 17.1 oz in .357 Magnum) work very well for me. As compared to tiny autos. And if I'm just gonna get 1 or 2 shots more with a micro 9 I'd just as soon carry my 5 shooter with an extra speed strip or two in my pocket.

I know you want a 9mm, but you might want to explore a small revolver for really light days.
    +1 on the S&W J frame Airweights... I have a Model 442 which I can pocket carry in jeans in a $10 Uncle Mike's Inside THe Pocket holster and it looks like a big wallet. Or if I'm wearing any kind of even light jacket I can put it in a paddle holster from Fobus ($30) or a pancake holster OWB, and it's so light I forget I've got it on. THe revolvers are curvy rather than unaturally straight/corners like a semiauto, so they blend with natural body curves better. They are meant for 10 yards or less realistically, and with practice to master the DAO trigger and sights, I can keep 5 shots in a 4 inch circle at 7 yards. They are definitely snappy recoil, but manageable. I woldn't go any lighter like the exotic framed titanium/scandium etc. J frames that weigh like 12 oz or something... those are not fun at all to shoot which means you won't practice with them. Another plus? Uber reliable, even if you have a FTF (SUPER RARE) you just pull the trigger again. No clearing/mag drills. ALso you can just load it and leave it for long periods. No mag springs to worry about, no cocked trigger group springs to worry about or leaving a round in the pipe/unloading that chambered round.... I keep two speed strips loaded to carry in my weak side pocket - VERY flat and light.
    I just picked up a CW9 (the OP may be referring to my thread on that), and I love the thinness of it and its clean lines, and low weight for a 7+1 9mm w/ 3.56" barrel. I just got a simple kydex IWB holster for it. I don't think that ANY IWB holster is "comfortable", but that rig/gun is definitely lighter than my M&P9c and thinner to carry so it IS more comfortable than that... my other "thin/light" handgun for carry is a Bersa Thunder 380, and that gun's profile feels thinner than the Kahr to me. But not enough to over come the 380 ACP vs 9mm power gap. I bought IWB tuckable kydex holsters from Comp-Tac for both my bersa and my M&P, and I like how they made them because the belt clips are positioned to either side of the holster itself on leather tabs, whereas the IWB one I just got for the Kahr has it's belt clip is attached to the backside of the holster itself, negating some of the thinness of the gun. All trade-offs....
    Bigsteve113 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post
    Post the weight of a gun means nothing unless it is fully loaded with one in the pipe for a true weight.
    Hmmm. It's more useful to me to read the weight of the empty pistol + empty magazine--since, for example, 16 rnds (or 18 rnds) of 9mm Speer Gold Dot 147 gr. ammo weighs more than 124 gr. +P ammo, which weighs more than 115 gr. +P+ ammo.

rx7sig

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    This. Ive been wearing a dress Beltman gun belt for years, even in a business suit, even when pocket carrying. Only belt I wear.
    This is a good point.

Heavier belts are beneficial, even when pocket carrying. The constant hiking up of one's pants just screams "I'm carrying," even though one thinks his carry choice is well concealed in that pocket, plus more all-day carry comfort can be enjoyed, even with heavier pocket model handguns, if a properly supporting belt is worn.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Wondering, do you have a gun problem or a belt problem. Is you belt a purpose designed gunbelt? If not maybe getting one of those, that fits correctly may solve your problem better tham a microcompact gun will.
    bmcgilvray and OldChap like this.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Shoulder holster? Works well for me and my Shield.
    OldChap and flintlock62 like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    Wondering, do you have a gun problem or a belt problem. Is you belt a purpose designed gunbelt? If not maybe getting one of those, that fits correctly may solve your problem better tham a microcompact gun will.
    this was my first thought when I read the original post. A good gun belt makes so much difference. I’ll bet if the OP doesn’t have one and gets a good gun belt and retries carrying the XDs he will be very satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    Shoulder holster? Works well for me and my Shield.
    You beat me to it. My wife ordered me a Galco Jackass rig for the Glock 30S. The same holster fits all large size Glocks - 20, 21, 30, 30S etc. Amazon is currently selling them for $132. To compare, the Miami Classic Lite is $89 right now. With the shoulder holster, I can carry two pocket guns, a tucked Shield 45 in a Vedder, and one of the cannons in the shoulder rig.

Over gunned? I guess. But church is probably the most dangerous place I go every week.
    Last edited by OldChap; March 29th, 2019 at 11:47 AM.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links