First 1911 - Page 4

First 1911

This is a discussion on First 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by half At $1000, you are just shy of several Dan Wesson models. Go to the 1911 forum and you will find most ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree352Likes

Thread: First 1911

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by half View Post
    At $1000, you are just shy of several Dan Wesson models. Go to the 1911 forum and you will find most 1911 fans there will rate Dan Wesson as the best production 1911 made. The next step up is going to be a semi-custom. I have two DW’s and a couple more other 1911s. The DWs are simply better made. There are no mechanical issues with the others. Just better fit and finish with the DWs. My next one will be a Wilson Combat CQB just because.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryS View Post
    I second this. My first, and so far only, 1911 is a Dan Wesson CCO. I love that thing! So does everyone that I let shoot it. Yes, it's a bit more expensive, but that is soon forgotten.
    That being said, I guess it depends on what you are planning to do with it.

Cheers
    Gerry
    I'm a BIG fan of DW's:

Name:  DW Family_2_R 180617.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  113.3 KB

...and I've chosen a DW over a Colt several times. BUT, for a first 1911 on a $1000 budget, I'd still recommend a Colt. It's an "intangible", but you just really oughtta have a Colt!
    OD*, msgt/ret, bmcgilvray and 8 others like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm ... I'd have never guessed it Jim.

A fine collection right there. Such a collection is not often seen in a photographic grouping on forums.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    My first and only 1911 has been the Kimber Super Carry Pro.
    Yeah, but there's MORE to the story...
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Hmmm ... I'd have never guessed it Jim.

A fine collection right there. Such a collection is not often seen in a photographic grouping on forums.
    Thanks, Bryan!

I thought for sure you'd have seen that pic before!

At the top are two Model 44's, followed by two Model 15's. The third row is a Model 14 and a D11. The 1911's are the Valor, Valkyrie, and ECO, all in .45 ACP.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    I just got a Colt Competition from Bud’s for $790. If you look in the General Firearms section you’ll see a review and a couple other threads discussing it.

Shoots pretty good.
    Attachment 292706
    I compete in USPSA Single Stack, and work as an RO/CRO for the club-level as well as the major matches at my club (Rio Salado in Mesa, AZ). In scores of matches, I think I've only come across one Colt. The overwhelming majority of factory guns are Springfields. Behind Springers are Kimber, STI, Dan Wesson, Ruger, S&W and SIG, with a few RIAs and even Wilsons showing up. Colt apparently hasn't seen competition as a marketing avenue to pursue until now. I would love to see more prancing ponies on the line!
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    There is a nickel plated .38 Super at the LGS. It is a bright & shinny piece.
    I would bet it's an ElCen . They are VERY bright but shoot even more brightly .
    Gabill, PhaedrusIV and CWOUSCG like this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMER…, POR QUE EN MI CORAZ”N Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

The Totalitarian State in America will not arise at the point of a gun. It will come with a message of

"We only want what's best for you. It's for your own good."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I didn't pay that much attention to it. Turns out it is a nickel plated Rock Island 1911. I didn't know they made a .38 Super.
    Their Nickled Super is VERY popular along the border( and here in a certain location)
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMER…, POR QUE EN MI CORAZ”N Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

The Totalitarian State in America will not arise at the point of a gun. It will come with a message of

"We only want what's best for you. It's for your own good."

If you don't object to the external extractor, the S&W E series is an excellent performer under your price point.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I compete in USPSA Single Stack, and work as an RO/CRO for the club-level as well as the major matches at my club (Rio Salado in Mesa, AZ). In scores of matches, I think I've only come across one Colt. The overwhelming majority of factory guns are Springfields. Behind Springers are Kimber, STI, Dan Wesson, Ruger, S&W and SIG, with a few RIAs and even Wilsons showing up. Colt apparently hasn't seen competition as a marketing avenue to pursue until now. I would love to see more prancing ponies on the line!
    I’m surprised. As I recall back in the 80s when I was competing there were a lot of Colts on the line, that was shooting 25 yd plates. They also were the gun for bullseye.

What happened? How did the 1911 fall out of favor?
    QKShooter likes this.

Send bachelors and come heavily armed.

Black Rifles Matter

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    I’m surprised. As I recall back in the 80s when I was competing there were a lot of Colts on the line, that was shooting 25 yd plates. They also were the gun for bullseye.

What happened? How did the 1911 fall out of favor?
    A few things. Colt quality suffered badly due to worn-out tooling, which necessitated all the hand-fitting that became their marketing angle. But the tradeoff was that all that extra labor cost extra money, and Colt steadfastly avoided engaging in the price wars along with Ruger and S&W. You wanted a Colt of any flavor, you paid for it. Meanwhile, the action games were growing and while top competitors went to Bill Wilson, Ed Brown and Les Baer for their semi-custom guns, the demand for "popularly priced" 1911s created a niche that Kimber and Springfield Armory filled.

Around the same time - the late 80s - the UAW went on strike at Colt's Firearms, for FOUR years, and production numbers suffered. The lower the supply, the higher the retail price. But wisely, Colt invested in all-new tooling for the O-frame in the early 90s, and stepped into modern manufacturing processes and machines. Good thing, because after the strike ended, there were far fewer skilled assemblers left to put our beloved pistols together.

Fast forward into the 21st century, Colt suffered further from "who's my daddy" syndrome, as ownership, management, strategic outlook and sustaining capital were all variable and uncertain year to year. Colt just about abandoned the civilian firearms market because of easy-money govenment contracts for the M16 and its variants. And don't forget that Colt was among the first to thumb its nose at civvy gun enthusiasts by limiting AR sales to LE and mil only for a while - we were just not important to them.

I no longer have contacts inside Colt, but I am gratified to see them paying more attention to the recreational shooter, and models such as the OP's new prize are evidence of that trend. Pricing is also competitive, so maybe there is more astute and forward-looking management in place at Colt's these days. Let's hope the positive trend continues.
    CWOUSCG, OD* and QKShooter like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links