Rolled a pair of sixes

Rolled a pair of sixes

This is a discussion on Rolled a pair of sixes within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have number 2 in my possession so time to post some pics and observations. This is how I received them. The one on left ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree193Likes

Thread: Rolled a pair of sixes

Rolled a pair of sixes

I have number 2 in my possession so time to post some pics and observations.
    This is how I received them.
    The one on left is a 1981 as you maybe can tell from the round recoil shield vs the 1984 on the right with the familiar "scalloped" recoil shield that Ruger still uses today.
    Rolled a pair of sixes-ruger-6-.jpg
    The 81 is a brushed finish and the 84 is more polished. I have no idea if they are both factory or if some previous owner polished the 84. Both wear Pachmayr grips with a generic Compac on the 81 and a "made for Ruger" Compac w/ finger grooves on the 84.
    The only other obvious difference is the 81 has a grooved trigger face and the 84 is smooth.
    Rolled a pair of sixes-ruger-6-b.jpg
    As you can see both are round butt frames even though one is roll marked "speed six" and one is roll marked "police service six". According to Ruger both these guns left the factory as model GS-32 which is a 2.75" stainless 357 magnum speed six. The 1984 is roll marked incorrectly as Ruger never cataloged a round butt service six. I would love to get more details but, nobody is saying what happened here.
    Rolled a pair of sixes-ruger-6-c.jpg
    here is what came with the 81 speed six. The original grips must have been taken off day one as they are too pristine to have ever been carried. The holster is also from the 80's as Bianchi no longer catalogs this model that I could find and if you could read the package it also fits an "S&W M&P 2". When did S&W drop the "M&P" designation from their k frame line?
    Began raining when I was set to go shooting the "new" 81 but, I have shot the 84 which is partially the reason I grabbed another for the pair.
    Rolled a pair of sixes-ruger-6-d.jpg
    Rolled a pair of sixes-ruger-6-e.jpg
    Rolled a pair of sixes-ruger-6-f.jpg
    One last thing. How many know what an old Colt revolver is like when it locks up? I can tell you its the tightest lockup of any revolver I have ever handled. This 81 speed six locks up just like that. When my FFL called me today he said "I think your going to be really happy with this one" and he was right. Its a gamble buying used online but, at least lately I have rolled a pair of awesome sixes.

Suweeet! Another thing I've always liked about these is the full grip frame like the Redhawk has as opposed to the tang system of the GP and the SP.

That's a double handful of heavy metal!
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Nice pair, one for each hand.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

VIP Member
    Dreams do come true!!!

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Ha, maybe I should get a dual shoulder holster built. Look like something out of a Mad Max film.

Nice get! Enjoy them.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Senior Moderator
    Great barrel lengths too. What a pair!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Name:  two.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  16.1 KB

It just seemed an appropriate post.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I have number 2 in my possession so time to post some pics and observations.
    This is how I received them.
    The one on left is a 1981 as you maybe can tell from the round recoil shield vs the 1984 on the right with the familiar "scalloped" recoil shield that Ruger still uses today.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger 6 a.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	266.6 KB 
ID:	292768
    The 81 is a brushed finish and the 84 is more polished. I have no idea if they are both factory or if some previous owner polished the 84. Both wear Pachmayr grips with a generic Compac on the 81 and a "made for Ruger" Compac w/ finger grooves on the 84.
    The only other obvious difference is the 81 has a grooved trigger face and the 84 is smooth.

Name:	Ruger 6 b.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	249.1 KB 
ID:	292770
    As you can see both are round butt frames even though one is roll marked "speed six" and one is roll marked "police service six". According to Ruger both these guns left the factory as model GS-32 which is a 2.75" stainless 357 magnum speed six. The 1984 is roll marked incorrectly as Ruger never cataloged a round butt service six. I would love to get more details but, nobody is saying what happened here.

Name:	Ruger 6  c.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	292772
    here is what came with the 81 speed six. The original grips must have been taken off day one as they are too pristine to have ever been carried. The holster is also from the 80's as Bianchi no longer catalogs this model that I could find and if you could read the package it also fits an "S&W M&P 2". When did S&W drop the "M&P" designation from their k frame line?
    Began raining when I was set to go shooting the "new" 81 but, I have shot the 84 which is partially the reason I grabbed another for the pair.

Name:	Ruger 6 d.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	261.6 KB 
ID:	292774

Name:	Ruger 6 e.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	279.9 KB 
ID:	292776

Name:	Ruger 6 f.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	255.8 KB 
ID:	292778
    One last thing. How many know what an old Colt revolver is like when it locks up? I can tell you its the tightest lockup of any revolver I have ever handled. This 81 speed six locks up just like that. When my FFL called me today he said "I think your going to be really happy with this one" and he was right. Its a gamble buying used online but, at least lately I have rolled a pair of awesome sixes.
    You don't really deserve those wheel guns. I'm revolver poor and would accept them as a gift from you.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

This is the one I was thinking of.

VIP Member
    Very Nice! I've got a "matched pair (not s n.'s)" of Security Six's like yours, I'll not "thread jack" with a photo!
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Nice
    forester58 likes this.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons make people fat.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    Very Nice! I've got a "matched pair (not s n.'s)" of Security Six's like yours, I'll not "thread jack" with a photo!
    Please do. I would always like to see photos of others guns.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Please do. I would always like to see photos of others guns.
    O K, here you go. You'd have a cow if you knew the story on these! The one in front was my Dad's. Mine is in the background. Had my name engraved on the backstrap, so Dad didn't think he could "scam mine"!

Rolled a pair of sixes-100_0411-1-.jpg

Rolled a pair of sixes-100_0410-1-.jpg
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links