Defensive Carry banner

How often do you clean your carry gun?

4K views 72 replies 64 participants last post by  Bassleg 
#1 ·
#64 ·
I installed a Class ISO 3 Clean Room in my house and clean my guns while wearing a clean suit. I always use an ultrasonic cleaner. Every time. Before leaving the Clean Room, my guns are then loaded and sealed in 1.1 ATM pressurized nitrogen containers to prevent lube drying and the container is dated.

When it's time to carry, the container seal is broken; the 1.1 ATM pressurization results in a soft "pop." If the there is no "pop," then the container has failed. If that occurs and the date on the container is more than two months old, the gun is not carry ready and must be cleaned again.

Otherwise the gun can be carried for no more than 1 week, and then it is cleaned again and stored accordingly. During the carry time of 1 week, the gun is nitrogen blasted every night to remove dust and lint, and then wiped down and vacuum sealed until morning.

Stay safe.

#66 ·
I follow the same routines you describe with one exception. I find dry nitrogen to be far too reactive to trust as an inert atmosphere gas for protecting something as precious as a firearm. I just respect my guns too much to subject them to that kind of abuse. They deserve a Noble gas. I switched to argon a few years ago and I can really tell the difference when inspecting the surface of a weapon, even at magnifications as low as 20,000x. I did try Helium for a while but feared that overfilling the containment vessel could cause it to float away. Besides, with the increasing scarcity of helium causing ridiculous cost escalation, it is sort of over-kill.

#67 ·
Shot my latest acquisition, last week. A Glock 43X. Had a stovepipe on the 5th shot? Never had a stovepipe on a Glock, ever.

Through cleaning, lubed, loaded holstered. Somehow not that happy with this pistol! Had fired my carry pistol, a Glock 19 4th Gen with TruGlo night sights, many hundreds of times. Just had the inserts replaced, bright green dots!

Extended slide lock (RELEASE!) replaced after it broke on my G-lic live fire test. Replaced the replacement!
Not sure if it was fresh from the factory Glock part. But the one I just installed was brand new. When something screws up on your every day carry firearm, it has to be 100% perfect, before you trust it again.

After a total strip down, and clean and lube! You could eat off the slide. Changing from 16 rounds of 147g Ranger SXT ready to go to the light new 10 and 1 slim pistol.

Welllll! Not happy, back to my immaculate G19. I have put many rounds down range, in IDPA matches, with this gun, no bobbles, totally confident in the pistol, sights, and the Winchester 147g hollow points carried. Carried these rounds, since they were designated as Black Tallon. Hit 3 out of 3 hits on a 2-foot square steel gong at 100 yards, hung on chains on the Palm Bay Police range, from prone.

It is sitting on my Bedside cabinet right now, awaiting holster time in the AM!

Back to my Mantra! Same gun, same place, always! A happy camper.

#68 ·
I admit I’ve committed firearm abuse. Due to life changes I stopped carrying (due to work mainly), and hadn’t even looked at most of my guns in 5 years. Until recently. I live in a humid environment in the summer months anyway. Like empty my dehumidifier every two hrs of its (I think) 3 -5 gallon tank.

I was pleasantly surprised to find minimal rust and nothing I would call damage.

With that said I don’t intend to ever do that again and have vowed to clean them all at least once a month if not more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.