A time honored solution to an old age problem

This is a discussion on A time honored solution to an old age problem within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Coming up on 70 years soon. Vietnam veteran with lots of experience with the 1911 pistols. Retired cop with many years carrying a revolver. Past ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: A time honored solution to an old age problem

Coming up on 70 years soon. Vietnam veteran with lots of experience with the 1911 pistols. Retired cop with many years carrying a revolver.

Past year or so I have suffered from ulnar neuropathy, an inflammation of the primary nerve serving the forearm (elbow to hand) of my strong-side. As this problem has progressed I have lost much of my fine motor skills (including simple hand writing and printing) and some of my hand strength. Constant pain has been attenuated by anti-inflammatory medication and steroidal injections to the elbow and wrist. Still waiting for a surgical decision from the attending doctors.

Meantime, I have been largely unable to handle my customary carry piece (full size .45 1911 Kimber), and the new Sig P229 has been difficult to handle well. What to do for daily carry needs?

Pulled out an old S&W Model 64 round-butt 2" .38 Special revolver, police department surplus from the mid-1970's. Easy enough to handle, and I retain enough "muscle memory" from my revolver toting days to shoot it pretty well.

I feel pretty well equipped on my daily rounds. Couple of trips to the range each week and I'm keeping everything in the black of a B29 silhouette target at 25 feet, two-handed or one-handed.

Some say the revolver is ancient history. I will have to disagree, as it continues to serve my daily needs quite nicely.

I'm pleased to hear you found a workable solution. Nothing wrong with a good revolver, especially when carried by one who has the training and experience with it. Carry on, Sir!
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Distinguished Member
    @retired badge 1 - From one older gentlemen to another, I hear you brother on losing physical abilities. This getting old stuff sucks! Good luck on finding a solution to your neuropathy.

Good choice on the M64 revolver. The surplus ones are sometimes beat up from carrying, but few have been overly shot. I have a couple of surplus M10 round butts in 4" that we keep around the home fort.
    OldChap, Hoganbeg, Gabill and 9 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    I think you should try one of the new Glock 43X 9mm slim pistols, just 1" wide slide. Hides really well on a belt, ITW or OTB holsters. And 11 rounds beats 5 or 6. The trigger is the best I have found on a Glock. You should be good to go on Blue Box sales, cheaper. Bought mine with Ameriglo night sights, great.

As we all carry more than get into gunfights, we non-Police. You should be OK with your choice? But! I love my 11 round Glock 9mm.
    OldChap and Gabill like this.

First thing is good for you on adapting to your personal circumstance.
    Second thing is from one who has gone back to revolvers by choice instead of circumstance there are just some people who will never understand why I would give up capacity for a wheel gun and that is OK. In a general sense I agree more bullets are better than less, why would anyone argue that?
    There are just a lot of other factors involved in ones choice of a personal self defense firearm than capacity and I have zero doubt that a revolver suits my needs much better than any self loader out there and I have carried many, many examples.
    I know the 64 is not your first choice but, it is certainly a viable one from my perspective.
    I know now that my hair is gray that people will say "one of those old guys clinging to the past" and truth be told there is probably some reality in that statement as I cut my teeth on revolvers and carried them for all those years before my hair turned gray. I wish you the best on your quest for some relief and hope they can find a more stable solution than just the injections.

Retired badge 1, I was never in the military myself, but it appears you have adopted the phrase, "Improvise, adapt, overcome."
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Old codgers with K-frames are not to be messed with.
    G26Raven, redmc, OldChap and 8 others like this.

I feel for you. I had my cubital tunnel surgery a month ago. Fortunately, it was on the left arm. It seems to have done the job. Good luck.
    OldChap, Old Man and SatCong like this.

@retired badge 1 , my wife has severe CIDP (Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy), so I understand your situation. Good luck with your progress in treating your problem, and it sounds like you have worked around it enough to find a self-defense solution that works for you. Nothing wrong with that model 64!!
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

I like revolvers and have hunted with them some for 42 years but if I need smaller carry option full time today it would be a 26oz s&w 669 again after my wife claimed my Kimber 9mm ultra as hers !! With the standard pressure 147gr hst ammo my wife loves its soft recoil . That skinny 25oz pistol with Wilson 9 rounds mags and 10 round back up make a better smaller carry to me . MY snub snub nose has not been on my hip in 18 years and see no reason to go back to it . maybe a ultra 9mm for me or a mid size 9mm one day . Those recoil is very soft .

I'm all so thinking about eye sight as I grow older and might adjust to optic ready pistols . Maybe a m&p shield 2.0 optic ready model . Anyhow I still good with a lw commander 45 or a m&p 4.25 40sw with some apex upgrades so trigger pulls are very close to the same .
    OldChap and Sister like this.

Post #7 is a fact and anyone messing with us has no idea of the danger they are facing.
    Old Man, Gabill, SatCong and 1 others like this.

I understand perfectly. Us old guys gotta stick together. I have been blessed in not having any arm issues - although I did have to have the cut-open kind of rotator cuff surgery some years back on my right arm. I can still carry and shoot okay, but it is so disappointing when I see how much age and eyesight have degraded how well I shoot.

Be supporting all you guys with health issues in thoughts and prayers.
    Old Man, Gabill, TSKnight and 5 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Regardless of the reason, you found a solution and that's what matters most. We're all heading there at some point.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

You should be armed just fine with that Smith 64. Off-duty I sometimes wander these streets with just a J Frame and 6 extra rounds on a speed strip in my pocket and I feel good with that. If I were not still active law enforcement I would certainly feel adequately armed with just my J Frame.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Senior Moderator

"Hey, let's go rob that old retired cop in the neighborhood, I hear that he quit using his 1911. All he uses now is just a lone revolver."

Reminder to dirtbags...
    Never pick on an old man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it very well...he'll be too old to run and too old to fight, so he'll just kill you.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links