The current crop of "Hand Guns".

This is a discussion on The current crop of "Hand Guns". within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bump stocks. Hand Guns. Braces. All terms used by the BATFE and meanings that can change in the blink of an eye. This is the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: The current crop of "Hand Guns".

Lead Moderator

Bump stocks. Hand Guns. Braces.

All terms used by the BATFE and meanings that can change in the blink of an eye. This is the agency that once testified in court that a shoelace was a machine gun. They said that you couldnt "shoulder" a "Brace". Then they came out and said it was ok. The same agency that said bump stocks were OK, let that decision go for a few years and at the biding of the NRA they decided to change horses in the middle of the creek and ban them. Even though they have no legal authority to do so.

Occasionally they make no sense whatsoever.

Take the "brace" craze. You put a brace on a handgun, have all the attributes of a short barreled rifle and yet not have to wait 9 months for the approval of a 200 tax stamp to make it legal.

Does it make sense? Absolutely not, but that never stopped them now did it?

In the meantime, many people are exploiting that decision. I use to make a lot of SBR's. I love them. They are short, quick, handle well and are fairly accurate. The only disadvantage that I see is on the rifle calibers which yeild big fireballs and they are LOUD and that you have to register them with the Feds, pay 200 bucks and wait for 7,8 or 9 months before you can take them out and play with them.

With braces being approved though, all of that goes away. There are now fixed braces, collapsible braces, and folding braces. I get the fixed brace and even the folding brace but the collapsible brace just does not make sense to me, but hey, it's their rules so I'll do what I can with them.

Below are a couple of pictures of so-called handguns with braces. They barrels are less than the 16" limit. They used braces rather than stocks and they are classed as handguns. Here in Arkansas, the only stipulation for a handgun that can be carried either concealed or unconcealed is that the barrel must be 12" or less. One is a 223. One is a .45.The others are 9mm's. I .have 300 Blackouts, 45's a 10mm, all in the AR platform.

What are your thoughts? Like them or not? Let's see what you have.

The current crop of "Hand Guns".-dsc_0241-2-.jpg The current crop of "Hand Guns".-dsc_0238-2-.jpg
    Pete63, OD*, Old Man and 11 others like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

I'm not even interested in one, having had an M2 Carbine barrel cut off at the end of the wood and the stock cut off behind the grip. It was fitted with a sling and to me was absolutely useless, other than it would fire rounds. I got rid of it as soon as I was able to get a folding stock M2 Carbine while in VN.

This subject came up here in Illinois in a lgs. I was told these "pistol" Ar's were considered as "other" weapons, along with the new shotgun "pistols" and could not be concealed by a permit holder as a handgun. But this is just unconfirmed hearsay to me. Those weapons in your photos are much longer than the cut off version I had and look very operable.

A photos off the internet of one.

The current crop of "Hand Guns".-post-10825-0-17124200-1350948847.jpg
    HotGuns, OD*, Pete63 and 4 others like this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

VIP Member
    I've got two AR pattern pistol's with braces. Love both. Could I own an SBR. Sure. Could I afford one (& deal with the wait involved). No. I use the striped down one as a PDW/primary home defense gun. 7.5" barrel, & is very compact/maneuverable. Also have a brace on my Kriss Vector. If things should change, I'll deal with that when it comes to pass.

The current crop of "Hand Guns".-100_0085.jpg

The current crop of "Hand Guns".-100_0455.jpg
    HotGuns, OD*, Bad Bob and 3 others like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

where it gets weird is the VFG laws on handguns IE the other 26inc guns

I like braces a bit ..I have had NFA guns with stock and FA guns ..Some with stock make a lot of sense to me ie MP5 stockd is way better then brace esp in FA ..But some like MAC10 stocked is not much different firing then a pistol ...
    Pete63 and Gabill like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

So locally the laws prevent AR ownership. The current circumfrential exception is like my little friend here. It's a pistol as far as the ATF is concerned but the barrel is over 12.5 inches making it an "other" where I live. It's the only way we can still own ARs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The current crop of "Hand Guns".-20190328_184708_1554869024289.jpg  

WrongRecroom, Pete63 and Gabill like this.

Don’t have an SBR as defined by current ATF regs, have no desire to wait the many months to receive ATF blessings to own one. But I do enjoy the fascination when I bring this to the range.

The current crop of "Hand Guns".-bh_2.jpg The current crop of "Hand Guns".-bh_4.jpg The current crop of "Hand Guns".-bh_3.jpg
    Old Man, Tstone, Pete63 and 13 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Don’t have an SBR as defined by current ATF regs, have no desire to wait the many months to receive ATF blessings to own one. But I do enjoy the fascination when I bring this to the range.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BH_2.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	293036 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BH_4.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	293038 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BH_3.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	293040
    Yep them and the Hi power stocked guns are amazing ... A hi power with a 20 round mag and stock very handy volly gun ... The feds have a whole list of guns like this some very very cool non NFA stuff on there even a few of the Bretta 92 are allowed to have stocks ( not that any made it to the civie market ) and some other cool stuff 14inc winchester lever guns straight pull 22lr pistols with stocks etc

And very cool org 7.63 caliber ?
    Pete63, msgt/ret and TSKnight like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I have a pistol AR & pistol AK. Both are 5.56 and both use standard AR mags. Even though I am an AR guy I prefer the AK 5.56. It is much smoother shooting, IMO
    The current crop of "Hand Guns".-ak-arpistols.jpg
    Last edited by 5lima30ret; April 10th, 2019 at 06:22 PM.
    HotGuns, Pete63 and Bad Bob like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    @5lima30ret , attachment doesn't work.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

I wouldn't mind having one, although I probably never will. I'm just wondering, when you go to the shooting range, do you use the pistol range or the rifle range?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozz10mm View Post
    I wouldn't mind having one, although I probably never will. I'm just wondering, when you go to the shooting range, do you use the pistol range or the rifle range?
    With the AR shown, I use the 25 yard pistol range. My other AR pistol (not shown) has a red dot, & I use 50 yard rifle range for it. Kriss sighted in at 25 yards.
    Bozz10mm and 5lima30ret like this.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

I have a Sig MPX pistol in 9MM with a brace. 8 inch barrel. Zero recoil. Great truck gun.

The current crop of "Hand Guns".-mpx-right.jpg
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

I love rifles, shotguns, and handguns. Never found a reason for an in-between.
    Bigsteve113 likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired

I'm not a AR guy. I do own a Springfield Saint Pistol in 5.56. I bought it because, as a pistol, I can technically carry it concealed and loaded in my vehicle by law.
    Pete63 and Bad Bob like this.
    Slow is smooth, smooth is Fast

I think it's an okay workaround, but I probably won't buy one. The current approval, as I understand, amounts to a letter with an opinion, which can be changed at a moment's notice. The more products that come out using the brace as an obvious substitute for a stock, the more likely the opinion will change, leaving the owner with a suddenly illegal weapon. Especially if one is tied to a crime - witness the fate of bump stocks.
    10thmtn likes this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links