Longer slide = more comfort? AND going OWB

This is a discussion on Longer slide = more comfort? AND going OWB within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone else seem to find a longer side more comfortable to carry than a shorter ones - especially for IWB carry? Whenever I carry ...

Like Tree28Likes
  • 3 Post By ParsonBrown
  • 3 Post By Snub44
  • 3 Post By Bigsteve113
  • 5 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 3 Post By Risasi
  • 3 Post By drmordo
  • 1 Post By CDW4ME
  • 1 Post By Bad Bob
  • 1 Post By redmc
  • 1 Post By matthew03
  • 2 Post By OD*
  • 2 Post By forester58

Thread: Longer slide = more comfort? AND going OWB

Does anyone else seem to find a longer side more comfortable to carry than a shorter ones - especially for IWB carry? Whenever I carry a subcompact or smaller (G26, P365, etc) the shorter slide just lands on the wrong spot. Something like a G26 is not as bad because I can use a G19/G17 holster.

It has me thinking about moving more towards OWB carry more often (no issues with any size gun there)...and/or just carrying bigger all the time.

I know some of you have gone bigger and OWB and just moved on with it all. How did you guys that went that route come to that decision? I don't have any issues concealing. I think for me it is just a matter of wanting to really settle in for the long haul with minimal changes in my carry setup.
    Snub44, Risasi and OD* like this.

VIP Member
    I find full-sized always more comfortable in IWB and AIWB...just lays flatter...I don't notice the weight.
    ParsonBrown, Struckat and OD* like this.

Plan A: I always carry OWB when I can, which is most of the time. More comfortable and to me it's the fastest means of deploying a handgun. Plan B: If OWB is not possible because of clothing then I go IWB. Plan C: If IWB isn't feasible I go pocket carry. Plan D: If pocket carry ain't doable, I go ankle carry. (and sometimes I go pocket or ankle with a BUG even when I have on OWB).

If Plans: A. B. C. or D. or not doable …. I don't go !!
    ParsonBrown, Risasi and OD* like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I am more accurate with a longer sight radius. I am more accurate with a crisp single-action trigger. That is why I carry a government model 1911 about 99% of the time.

I have tried Kydex, leather, and hybrid holsters. I prefer leather. I have tried IWB, AIWB, SOB, OWB, ankle holsters, and shoulder holsters. I prefer OWB @ 3:00 for comfort with a large gun. I have tried many types of leather holsters. I prefer a leather pancake style that holds the butt of the gun very close for concealment.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

For years I used to conceal government model 1911's no problem. I also sometimes carry a 4.2" GP100 (mainly if I'm any place where I might need to take a precision long shot) and find that for me 4" for a slide action and 4-5" revolver barrel is the sweet spot for comfort and carry retainment. Some of these other subcompact pistols are so short it feels like they are going to flip over the top of my belt line and fall out. They certainly don't pull in as tight to the body.

Added bonus on longer barrel is better external ballistics for a given carry load. One reason I've pondered taking a Glock 48 slide and barrel and mating it with my Glock 43.
    ParsonBrown, LimaCharlie and OD* like this.

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ParsonBrown View Post
    Does anyone else seem to find a longer side more comfortable to carry than a shorter ones - especially for IWB carry? Whenever I carry a subcompact or smaller (G26, P365, etc) the shorter slide just lands on the wrong spot. Something like a G26 is not as bad because I can use a G19/G17 holster.

It has me thinking about moving more towards OWB carry more often (no issues with any size gun there)...and/or just carrying bigger all the time.

I know some of you have gone bigger and OWB and just moved on with it all. How did you guys that went that route come to that decision? I don't have any issues concealing. I think for me it is just a matter of wanting to really settle in for the long haul with minimal changes in my carry setup.
    Yes, I find longer slides and longer barreled revolvers more comfortable to carry. I never carry my subcompacts these days unless they are my pocket.
    ParsonBrown, LimaCharlie and OD* like this.

IWB / AIWB generally longer slides are more comfortable for me.
    OD* likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

If I am carrying IWB I like shorter slides/BBL's. OWB, longer or it does not matter. But heavy, short guns do better IWB.
    OD* likes this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

I have always carried owb small and large pistols and revolvers. Then one day A friend said iwb iis the way to go so I tried it. I found it to be very uncomfortable with any gun and it didn't take long before I went back to the old ways. Maybe I'm in a rut but its where I like it. If it aint broken it don't need fixin
    OD* likes this.

Yes, G19 is a little less comfortable to AIWB than my G17, the extra length in the G17 slide keeps the grip tucked in a bit tighter.
    OD* likes this.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ParsonBrown View Post
    Does anyone else seem to find a longer side more comfortable to carry than a shorter ones - especially for IWB carry?
    Yes, with a 5" and where I carry at the 3:30 position, the barrel/slide will rest on my hip pushing the grip closer into the body.
    redmc and matthew03 like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

OWB with untucked button down shirt. Slide length is important for me.

Depends on the gun. I find short barreled revolvers easy to IWB because the mass is under your belt. I find short semi's difficult for IWB because the weight is all above the belt in the grip and its always trying to succumb to gravity and tip outward. If I carry it low enough in the belt to counter that I compromise my firing grip when drawing so...I usually carry a < 3" revolver AIWB and a longer >5" revolver OWB cross draw style when boondocking.
    A 3" revolver in an OWB pancake @ 3:00 is another very easy to conceal option.
    OD* and matthew03 like this.

Sponsored Links