So I bought a Canik on a whim.. amazing

This is a discussion on So I bought a Canik on a whim.. amazing within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just last week bought a p10c to be my new carry gun. Today I stopped at the range to blow off a quick 150 ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: So I bought a Canik on a whim.. amazing

I just last week bought a p10c to be my new carry gun. Today I stopped at the range to blow off a quick 150 rounds on my way to work and sitting in the case was a used trade in Canik TP9SF Elite. I've had my eye on them forever. The consensus from people I know who own them and the internet at large is they are fantastic guns once the cerakote gets worn in (about 400 rounds) in the right spots. This one is just worn enough. No carry wear, great rifling, runs smooth as silk. The inside was FILTHY and I had about 90% lock open on the last round which I'm sure will be fine once it gets cleaned.

The amazing part is that trigger. It's a little odd, a stiff take up, a clean wall, and the most fantastic break. It's got a tiny bit more travel than the p10c and a longer reset, but a gloriously smooth break. I was able to make a ragged hole the size of a quarter at 21 feet with a cadence.

I tell you what... if these things hold up long term I will own many more.
    drmordo, Freedz and SnoMan97 like this.

They really are a steal for what you get imop ..Did you get the full case with it the mags the holster etc ..The model with the mag welled and rmr cuts are going to do great ..Cool for what started out as basic P99 pistol clone
    Pete63 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

But canik shoot?
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Libertywheel View Post
    But canik shoot?
    you bet your flared mag well it can lol

Legit it really is a steal. I paid $340 locally, near mint. And yep, full case two mags and one dreadfully worthless holster.

Quote Originally Posted by beetlebz View Post
    you bet your flared mag well it can lol

Legit it really is a steal. I paid $340 locally, near mint. And yep, full case two mags and one dreadfully worthless holster.

Very nice , I have tried out the older models , very nice guns makes sense as they are p99 at heart

You got a great deal

Enjoy should be a great comp shooting gun
    Pete63 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Minor update. I mentioned in the original post that I had issues with it locking back on the last round. Well, I got bored at work and just went out to clean it. The rails on both sides I guarantee have never been cleaned. Ever. I couldn't physically manually pull the slide back to the end of it's travel, it gets really gritty and gets stuck about 1/4" from the end. About a half can of ballistol and some elbow grease it took to get the slide rails clean. Unreal that the gun still ran. Now the slide comes back all the way and effortlessly I might add. On a side note shame on my LGS for not cleaning that thing. I'm willing to bet a dollar that it will lock back with both mags now.
    MMinSC likes this.

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I don't have the TP9SF, but I have been right on the edge of buying one. I settled on a Beretta APX instead because it's for my mom and the APX had a a smaller grip. Both the Canik and the Beretta have great triggers for strikers IMO.

I have a Canik C100, which is their copy of the CZ75 Compact, and I absolutely love it. It was my favorite 9mm until I got my first Hi Power. I will likely get a TP9SF at some point.
    PhaedrusIV, Nod and Pete63 like this.

I haven't shot a TP9 yet, but I've handled a few. The triggers seem very nice. But for what their prices are now, guns are available from better brands, with better reputations, with better third party support (thinking S&W particularly.) In my mind a Canik has to be <$300 to be competitive.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beetlebz View Post
    I just last week bought a p10c to be my new carry gun. Today I stopped at the range to blow off a quick 150 rounds on my way to work and sitting in the case was a used trade in Canik TP9SF Elite. I've had my eye on them forever. The consensus from people I know who own them and the internet at large is they are fantastic guns once the cerakote gets worn in (about 400 rounds) in the right spots. This one is just worn enough. No carry wear, great rifling, runs smooth as silk. The inside was FILTHY and I had about 90% lock open on the last round which I'm sure will be fine once it gets cleaned.

The amazing part is that trigger. It's a little odd, a stiff take up, a clean wall, and the most fantastic break. It's got a tiny bit more travel than the p10c and a longer reset, but a gloriously smooth break. I was able to make a ragged hole the size of a quarter at 21 feet with a cadence.

I tell you what... if these things hold up long term I will own many more.
    So, this is a used pistol? Also, I've kind of been interested in them. Noticed SOME PEOPLE don't care for them, because/from a political perspective, in-that they are made in Turkey.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

I can't believe I'm the first one to say this, but...no pics, didn't happen.
    Pete63 likes this.

Keep in mind too these are local prices, so figure 20% or so above retail market from somewhere like buds gun shop. I'd be happy if they were a little cheaper but as a used gem, I'm happy with the price point. As a new gun at market price I think they are a bit overpriced for what they are. Hopefully history will make them a great value instead of an overpriced toy.

For what it's worth based on my experience so far, I would have no problems carrying the tp9sf elite. A couple hundred more rounds at the range and if no issues, I'm ordering a holster!

Picture of Canik TP9 SF Elite

I didn't know what a Canik was, so I did a Google search. It seems to resemble a Glock 19 in size and capacity. See below:

FEATURES
    Comes with industry standard dovetail sight cuts that are compatible with a large variety of aftermarket sights
    Warren Tactical sights with red and green fiber optic front sight
    Match grade barrel
    Trigger stop
    Loaded chamber indicator
    Striker status indicator
    Improved single action trigger
    Reversible magazine catch
    Tungsten grey cerakote over phosphate
    MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rail
    AFC magazine coating
    The TP9SF Elite-S comes with two 15 rd. mags., poly holster, paddle/belt attachment, interchangeable backstraps, cleaning rod, brush and a limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Nod
    Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    I don't have the TP9SF, but I have been right on the edge of buying one. I settled on a Beretta APX instead because it's for my mom and the APX had a a smaller grip. Both the Canik and the Beretta have great triggers for strikers IMO.

I have a Canik C100, which is their copy of the CZ75 Compact, and I absolutely love it. It was my favorite 9mm until I got my first Hi Power. I will likely get a TP9SF at some point.
    I too have the Canick C-100 in 9mm and love it !! Nice carry size, 16 rounds, nice trigger and very accurate. I did put some 'Cool Hand' grips on mine to make it a little thinner. Great gun for the money.
    drmordo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
    I can't believe I'm the first one to say this, but...no pics, didn't happen.
    Check!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So I bought a Canik on a whim.. amazing-img_20190412_183948_645_1555297143145.jpg  

So I bought a Canik on a whim.. amazing-20190412_161528_1555297155917.jpg  

So I bought a Canik on a whim.. amazing-20190412_161214_1555297264457.jpg  

So I bought a Canik on a whim.. amazing-20190412_161126_1555297347471.jpg  

Talldog, Ceapea, GMC and 3 others like this.

Sweet!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links