Wife prefers the Glock 22 over the 1911 - Page 2

Wife prefers the Glock 22 over the 1911

This is a discussion on Wife prefers the Glock 22 over the 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bmcgilvray Prophylactic gun buying. I like it! You're a smart feller BigSteve. "Dear; I bought this gun prophylactically so that I wouldn't ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: Wife prefers the Glock 22 over the 1911

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Prophylactic gun buying. I like it! You're a smart feller BigSteve.

"Dear; I bought this gun prophylactically so that I wouldn't buy more guns."

Later on:

"Well dear, the treatment didn't work so I had to buy another gun prophylactically in another effort to keep gun-buying syndrome under control."
    LOL ! Well, at least Im trying to get my addiction under control !!! My names Big Steve, and Im a gunoholic!
    Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

― Heraclitus

You just never can tell can you? I bought my wife a model 10 for her HD gun because she is a revolver girl and I thought this one will handle better for her than my heavy,bulky 5" GP100. Nope, she likes it OK but, won't give up the GP loaded with 357 but, I do still get to carry it from time to time boondocking but, its hers at home.
    Gun is too big for her little hands but, she shoots it lights out and better than I do so I keep my mouth shut about it anymore. Sometimes when she is out on a photog trip alone I notice its gone with her. Its all good I have other guns I can use.

Great to see you encourage her to shoot and be proficient with the tools she has at her disposal. Lots of guys assume when the time comes, the wife will just know what to do. Nothing replaces actual live fire practice. Youve inspired me to force my wife to go with me, on my next range session. She is due for a refresher!
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin? He replied: A republic, if you can keep it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Dan, that was my agenda; hope she fell for the 1911, and give me a reason to double down on my purchases and pick up the reissue Colt.
    Good thinking.

Refresh my memory, Chuck, which reissue again, Series 70?
    Gabill likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, dont give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I prefer my compact Glock 19 to full-size pistols such as the 1911 cause I got little hands. And I prefer how my Glock handles to other pistols too... It is what it is, I suppose.

glockman Wonder how your wife would like the 1911 if a lite weight model with thin grip panels and a short trigger added ??

MY wife never took to 1911's in the 44 years we have been together . To heavy , to big , to fat , can't reach the trigger , yada yada ,,,, until I bought a lite weight Kimber ultra 9mm as a small carry option and changed to thin grip panels for a skinner carry pistol . She shot it and liked it enough to claim it as her's !! Then said she wished she could reach the trigger better and knew I had changed trigger in 1911 before so with a ed brown short trigger added to her Kimber I have not had a chance to shoot it since . She used to be a m&p girl with a 9c and a 4.25 9mm but wants to shoot my 1911 replacement , a wiley clapp lite weight commander and I said NOPE not happen .

Misty lu Not all 1911's are full size ! Don't be stuck to one handgun design try others ever chance you get . My carry handguns belong to 3 brands .
    Snub44, glockman10mm, OD* and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    Agreed. The Springfield EMP is an excellent 1911...sized down for 9mm and a dream to carry and shoot.
    Old Man likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    My wife is similar. While she can shoot my HK's just fine, she absolutely LOVES my Walther PPQ and G19.
    Misty Lu, OD*, Old Man and 1 others like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Good thinking.

Refresh my memory, Chuck, which reissue again, Series 70?
    Dan, you know Im not that good with exact models, lol! The one I want is the one that is made to look like a GI Model, and I believe it has an arched mainspring housing. I do believe it a 70 Series.....but I might be wrong.
    OD*, Old Man, forester58 and 1 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.
    -Jeff Cooper

Front sight; win the fight!

It is always nice to have options.

Good shooting Mrs. Gman. That looks like it would serve her fine should the need arise.

You really NEED a reason for another Colt?
    glockman10mm and OD* like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Great to see you encourage her to shoot and be proficient with the tools she has at her disposal. Lots of guys assume when the time comes, the wife will just know what to do. Nothing replaces actual live fire practice. Youve inspired me to force my wife to go with me, on my next range session. She is due for a refresher!
    She is a shooter, and enjoys it from time to time, but she is not in to it as a hobby.

So, about every few months, we do some impromptu shooting just for fun, and so she can stay familiar with what she has.
    Sometimes, I will add a different gun or platform in the mix to see how she likes it.

Heres a 10 year old pic of her with her 357 magnum, M66.
    Attachment 294030
    OD*, smolck and Gabill like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Dan, you know Im not that good with exact models, lol! The one I want is the one that is made to look like a GI Model, and I believe it has an arched mainspring housing. I do believe it a 70 Series.....but I might be wrong.
    OK, I got'cha. If it's current manufacture, it would be a Series 70, but I didn't know if it was that or the WWI reproductions or the WWII reproduction.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, dont give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    Prefers a glock to a 1911 and chose you as a husband...MMMMM...starting to see a pattern here...LMAO...Sorry man, I just couldn't pass it up. Mine wont even pick one up to move it!!! Congrats...Her liking the glock will save you some money though!!

Yeah, its hard for me to wrap my head around.

I make sure there are a couple of pistols loaded and accessible for her at the house. And ever so often I get her to do a fam fire to maintain her ability to use them.

The Glock 22 loaded with 180 weight XTPs has long been her bump in the night gun if Im not home, and is kept in her closet where she can get to it in a tanker style holster that she can wear around at night while walking the dog.

So I thought I would let her shoot the Colt 1911 and see how she liked it compared to the G22.

She he really liked the gun, loved the trigger and hit the plate with every shot at 10 yards.....But she LOVED the G22!
    Here is her target with the G22 at 10 yards.
    Attachment 293986

I didnt think to take a pic a pic of the target shot with the 1911, but it wasnt this good.

Just goes to show you that everyone is completely different. I would have bet she preferred the 1911, but I think for her the idea of having to remember the safety in a scary situation made the difference for her. I thought that was a smart choice.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    OK, I got'cha. If it's current manufacture, it would be a Series 70, but I didn't know if it was that or the WWI reproductions or the WWII reproduction.
    I know its probably considered a poor choice by those who are really in to defensive carry gear, but I want a plain Jane Colt Gov Model, void of any white dots, glow sights, or extras, that I can wear the blueing off of, lol.
    -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar
    What my wife prefers is what my wife gets....I have found it to be far less painful that way.
    flh, OD*, Old Man and 1 others like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links