Why do revolvers just leave me cold? - Page 8

Why do revolvers just leave me cold?

This is a discussion on Why do revolvers just leave me cold? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BBMW The six shot snubby is longer, taller, and wider, and the same weight empty as a Glock 19. Glock 19 Length ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree695Likes

Thread: Why do revolvers just leave me cold?

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    The six shot snubby is longer, taller, and wider, and the same weight empty as a Glock 19.

Glock 19
    Length 187 mm/7.36 inch
    Height incl. Mag 128 mm/5.04 inch
    Weight with loaded magazine 855 g | 30.16 oz
    https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g19

RIA M206
    Length 171 mm/6.75 inch
    Height 104 mm/4.09 inch
    Loaded 1.81 lbs/0.82 kg
    https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/rev...06-38-special/
    AzQkr, PhaedrusIV, Tstone and 6 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Yes, this is not specific to that particular pistol. Substitute an original Dick Special, a new Cobra (but you probably wouldn't like that so much), or pretty much any 6-shot .38 snubby. The numbers don't change. I only bring up the RIA revolver because that's the one I happened to be looking at tonight.

To answer your last, likely rhetorical, question, in the same size and weight, I can get nearly triple the capacity of a more powerful round (I'll take 9mm over .38 Spl any day of the week.) And it's not like the G19 or equivalents (and I'd be more likely to go for the equivalents than the G19 itself), are slouches in the quality, reliability, or shootability department. I can also go smaller than the 6-shoot snubby in the auto world, and still have significantly greater capacity. For defense, function counts. And if you come back at me about the perceived advantages of reliability of revolvers, I'll point out that the entire law enforcement profession, who's members literally live or die based on the reliability of their pistols, have gone to automatics.
    Last sentence here not "entirely" true...many depts approve revolvers for backups..and Dallas and Philly both approve revolvers as primary weapons. I'm glad there're people like you who don't want any part of revolvers...maybe people like me who've been looking for 3 or 4 different oldies MIGHT find 'em some day. Revolvers are so unpopular, our local gun stores can't keep many in stock.
    AzQkr, wmhawth, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I donít have an active dislike for them. I just donít get excited by them.
    That's OK, @G26Raven - that's still enough for us revo guys to beat you up over it !
    AzQkr, msgt/ret, G26Raven and 3 others like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Last sentence here not "entirely" true...many depts approve revolvers for backups. I'm glad there're people like you who don't want any part of revolvers...maybe people like me who've been looking for 3 or 4 different oldies MIGHT find 'em some day. Revolvers are so unpopular, our local gun stores can't keep many in stock.
    The local shop I play at sells roughly 20 semi's to 1 revo. Those numbers change based on locations across the US I'd think. But the 10 most popular guns by sales numbers don't include a lot of revos/.
    G26Raven, OD*, Mike1956 and 1 others like this.

...which oughta tell ya that people are hangin' onto their revolvers...most gun stores I shop don't have much but the Smiths and Taurus...and a used one's rare. The retail stores are going to carry mostly what the mfgrs. push...havent' seen a whole lot of revolver ads lately, either.
    OD* likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...which oughta tell ya that people are hangin' onto their revolvers...most gun stores I shop don't have much but the Smiths and Taurus...and a used one's rare. The retail stores are going to carry mostly what the mfgrs. push...havent' seen a whole lot of revolver ads lately, either.
    The shop tries to carry what the customers ask most for. Revos are way down on the list/
    msgt/ret and OD* like this.

Yeah, another 15-20 years and all them dumb old revolver guys will die off and there won't BE any revolvers...since the smart young new guys all know better...my boys are a'waitin' with bated breath for the bargains they'll get when the dinosaurs get dumped.
    AzQkr, G26Raven, OD* and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    First off, before you get all defensive, let me state that I actually like ALL firearms. They're all interesting to me. Secondly, I shoot revolvers pretty well. Third, I am sure you revolver guys say the same thing about semi-autos; i.e., they have no soul, they have no heritage, they're not elegant, etc. I get it. And, I know we all have different tastes.

I just can't seem to get excited about revolvers. I know I ought to have one more revolver (I have one), something suited to concealed carry, just in case the gun grabbers get their way. But honestly, I just can't get motivated to buy one. I'd really rather get another Sig....

I didn't read the whole thread, so what I'm gonna say has probably already been said. I'm guessing you didn't grow up shooting only revolvers. I'm guessing when you first started shooting, it was with semiautomatics. If that is the case, then that makes a whole lot of sense.

I grew up shooting only revolvers, so revolvers are my first choice. I've been trying to like semiautomatics for the last 5 years or so , and have been making great strides, in fact I find myself carrying them a lot these days.

But if someone said I could only keep (collect) either revolvers or semiautomatics, it would be an Extremely easy choice. Revolvers of course.

Grew up shooting SA revolvers and 1911s. Love them both I also like my DA revolvers and even DA/SA autos and polymer guns with strikers. I think they all certainly have a place in everyoneís wheel house. That said I like the greater capacity afforded with an auto. I can have similar ballistics and one round shy of twice the capacity 5oz less weight plus an inch shorter package comparing my 3Ē 686 and my P229. I still enjoy playing with SA revolvers and will one of these days pick up a 41 mag in some flavor or another. For defensive purposes I prefer autos hands down and will likely continue to do so.
    Wavygravy, OD* and G26Raven like this.

Immediately after the Sandy Hook School incident, I sold my high-capacity polymer semi-auto handguns and some ARs at ridiculous prices and bought Colt revolvers and 1911s plus Winchester '94 lever-action rifles which were selling at reduced prices.
    OD*, G26Raven, AzQkr and 4 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Do you carry those, or just take them to the range every once in a while?
    I know that I'm willing to carry those models, depending on revolvers just like them for personal defense and for bedside use.

It's all these "new crop" pistols in today's gunmakers' catalogs, the ones that most shooters want that I don't want to carry or even much want to shoot at the range.

Great revolvers PhaedrusIV
    Snub44, OD*, PhaedrusIV and 2 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I know that I'm willing to carry those models, depending on revolvers just like them for personal defense and for bedside use.

It's all these "new crop" pistols in today's gunmakers' catalogs, the ones that most shooters want that I don't want to carry or even much want to shoot at the range.

Great revolvers PhaedrusIV
    Thanks, Bryan. I had intended to respond to @BBMW directly but I'll do it here:

Do I carry those ? Short answer - no, not right now. But it isn't because I wouldn't be willing to carry them. I have other reasons.

In my state, it's perfectly legal to open carry. But my job requires a lot of discretion, and I'm very careful to conceal what I carry, by necessity.

With the right holster, and the right cover garment (generally meaning some kind of a jacket) a K-frame revolver would conceal well, and be very easy to carry, OWB.

I do not yet possess the "right" holster for a K-frame Smith (I'm working on that) and also, I have a number of other carry options that are easy to conceal.

Generally, I carry a small, polymer pistol like an XDS or a Shield, but I will often carry a 1911 when I'm not working. I don't consider my revolvers "Range Toys" but SD weapons.

I have no misgivings whatsoever in carrying a K-frame Smith, or my little SP101 snub (.357 Magnum.) I don't own any "Safe Queens" either.
    G26Raven, bmcgilvray and OD* like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Not saying that they won't someday, but at the moment, revolvers do nothing for me. Absolutely nothing! Neither do I ascribe to the "everyone gotta have at least one of this or that piece". The only piece that I gotta have is the one that I want. But, I must admit, if I made the move on a revolver, it'd be that black 4'' Colt Python.
    G26Raven likes this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Different strokes for different folks. I feel the same way about all these new plastic fantastic semi autoís. Every day you hear of a new one especially the subcompacts single stack double stack they donít even name them anymore they name them with numbers and letters. It is good to have a variety of firearms to choose from but I guess Iím just a traditionalist. Unless I know Iím going into a bad situation I need lots of rounds my little snubnose still gives me comfort
    msgt/ret, Tstone and Militant like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post
    Different strokes for different folks. I feel the same way about all these new plastic fantastic semi autoís. Every day you hear of a new one especially the subcompacts single stack double stack they donít even name them anymore they name them with numbers and letters. It is good to have a variety of firearms to choose from but I guess Iím just a traditionalist. Unless I know Iím going into a bad situation I need lots of rounds my little snubnose still gives me comfort
    Interesting choice of Screen Name, @Glocking26 !
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Sponsored Links