Defensive Carry banner

Plus 1 in your pistol

13K views 143 replies 99 participants last post by  pskys2 
#1 ·
Curious how many people load their pistols to mag capacity plus 1. I have developed a habit of not adding the plus 1. That is to say if mag capacity is 10 rounds, I load 10, chamber a round, and don’t top off magazine. This may be silly but I don’t like the top round being too tight with the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#36 ·
I don't top off. The "one more round" debate can be beat to death with no resolution. Even not topping off my Glock 30 I still have more rounds than a 1911, so does that make a 1911 risky to carry when you needed that ninth round? What if I need a twelfth round over the 11 my G30 could hold. How about a 13th round that my 12+1 6906 couldn't hold?

Go with the loading you're comfortable with and don't worry about the other guys.

#44 ·
This is true, but would you carry 5 rounds in your g30 just because a j frame also holds 5 rounds? To me it’s not about how much ammo I think I’ll need. It’s about the gun being the same size regardless, and there being no advantage to carrying 10% less ammo in the same gun/magazine.

#41 ·
Advertised magazine capacity of a Glock 19 is 15 rounds, so I'm carrying 15 rounds in the mag.
If it wasn't intended to be carried with 15 rounds in the magazine, the advertised capacity should be specified as 14 rounds. :22:
Whether one "needs" another bullet regardless of mag capacity being 7, 8, 10 or 15 won't ever be discovered until its too late.

ETA a Glock magazine spring is about $6 if it needs replacement, I'll spring the $ for it. :hand34:

#45 ·
Mine are always +1. The sole exception to that was my Sig P938 that would not feed the top JHP reliably with one in the chamber and a full mag. On that gun I simply fed it a full mag and chambered a round. With my Sig P365, I always carry it 12 + 1. Same for my HD guns that are mostly 17 + 1.

#51 ·
Load, chamber, reload the magazine regardless of firearm I'm carrying...even for my Glock 30S. The only thing I do different is when I chamber and have to remove the round for any reason I will unload the magazine and put the previously chambered round last, then second to last, etc. I then shoot that carry load magazine about every 4-6 weeks.

#57 ·
I'm a "Better to have and not need, than need and not have." type of guy.
With my off duty weapon (Sig P229 .357sig, 14rnd mags) I load, chamber a round, chamber check, decock, perform a tac reload, holster, top off the mag I removed from the pistol, and place it in my mag carrier.
On duty, departmental carry condition (Glock 22) is 15rnds in the pistol (1 in chamber/14 in the mag), so I carry within policy. I assume, this policy is so we don't have any loose rounds, floating around the armory. Being a prison, most of the time, our weapons sit in lockers, and having all the rounds contained within the magazines, makes inventory and accountability easier. Whomever the Sgt is, conducting inventory, third or first watch (possibly on a sixteen hour shift) just has to pick up the mags, and look in the windows. There's no loose rounds to look for, cause we have pool weapons, in lockers that have holsters and mag carriers in them also. Those of us on Transportation, have assigned weapons, so nobody but us, is supposed to draw our weapons, but we, mostly have purchased our own holsters and mag carriers, so the departmentally owned stuff is still in our lockers.
Being as large of a department, as we are, everything is tailored to the least common denominator. From the veteran officer, who has been on transport for a twenty hour day, who is in a hurry to get home, on a Friday; to the guy who just doesn't care, who would toss the loose round into the locker, having it end up in or behind the holster and mag carrier, or it roll out onto the floor, and under something; having all the rounds contained within the mags, is a better fit for us.
As for off duty, or for people with CCW Permits, I think the issue would come down to having to download your weapon to access places you need to. Off duty, I don't go to the Post Office, because I would have to leave my weapon in the car. Other than that, in my state, the gun free zone signs, do not carry the force of law (at the time being). Either way, I don't go into businesses who have them anyway. The exception, would be Disneyland or going to a concert. I keep a safe in all my vehicles, for that purpose.
I understand, if someone, with a CCW Permit, were to be of the mindset that he didn't want to deal with having that extra round, loose, to deal with, or the added time and administrative handling of his weapon, to +1 it. I get it, he's trying to be discreet, and just get it back to concealment, before anyone sees it. Messing around, changing and topping off mags, may make them nervous (that the "wrong person" may see he's doing, and call the police). It's usually, when you're trying to do something quickly, are nervous, or more focused on who's seeing than what you're doing, that an accident happens. To me, if someone says he doesn't +1, because he has to stow his weapon to access GFZs, and not +1'ng makes him more comfortable in doing so, opposed to just leaving his weapon at home, I say, having 15, instead of 16, or even 7, instead of 8, rounds, is better than having none, if that's the reality he's dealing with. Just like, when my department says, I can only have 15rnds in my weapon, on duty. That's the reality, I'm dealing with.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.