Defensive Carry banner

Plus 1 in your pistol

13K views 143 replies 99 participants last post by  pskys2 
#1 ·
Curious how many people load their pistols to mag capacity plus 1. I have developed a habit of not adding the plus 1. That is to say if mag capacity is 10 rounds, I load 10, chamber a round, and don’t top off magazine. This may be silly but I don’t like the top round being too tight with the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I've never owned a gun rated for X number of rounds that wouldn't reliably function with a mag loaded with that number of rounds...so I load a 10-rounder with 10, put one in the chamber, then replace it with the 10th in the mag. Don't see any reason to load less than capacity. I have read that some have problems if they fully load...just haven't had that problem myself.

#4 ·
I carry with one in the chamber, and minus one in the magazine.

#15 ·
To make that analogy work, you would need to fill up, turn on the engine and let it run for a minute, and then replace what was pumped from the tank to the fuel lines.
If that makes a difference in you getting to a gas station before you run out of gas, then that’s a brain housing group issue, and not a fuel issue, lol.

#31 ·
Handgun: I load the magazine, put it in the gun and chamber a round. That's it.

Rifle: I down load my AR magazines by 2.. ( oh the horror )
A lot of 30-round mags won't seat reliably on a closed bolt. Pat Rogers drilled into us to load 30 and download 2.

#21 ·
To me the notion of not carrying you gun at less than full capacity is misguided. I have owned 9 semis since my first one in 1971. I laced +1. In every one of them. I did that because I do not ever want to look back or be unable to look back on a situation when one more round would have made difference

#26 ·
Some I do, some I don’t . None of my GLOCKS get +1. I just don’t like the snugness of them with +1. All of my single stacks get +1, since capacity is limited by design. I do test all my mags with +1 and make sure they will do it if needed. I have found a few that were problematic +1 when brand new, but that usually irons out after a coupla weeks of fully loaded. Most guns that I have that are 13 rounds are better I usually do not +1.

#29 ·
I load 9 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber of my open carry G26 because there are places I must disarm and I will not leave a loaded gun unattended in the car so I can clear the chamber and use that round to top up the magazine making it ready to reload the gun when I get back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.